The Brexit Consequences Thread

I often get side tracked in researching some of the side bar links that Guido posts.
Articles I wouldn't ordinarily bother looking for, in that respect, order-order is a good news aggregator.
The attached link caught my eye from todays front page of Guido's website:
View attachment 682772
" Brexit has raised the cost of imports from continental Europe and incentivised households to switch towards more expensive domestically-produced goods and services. The recent rise in energy prices has constituted a large terms-of-trade shock for the UK. "

"Finally, we would advise the government to focus on minimising the negative effects of Brexit by reducing the trade barriers between the UK and the European Union, including the Republic of Ireland. We would certainly advise against risking a trade war with our nearest and largest trading partner, the EU, by overturning the Northern Ireland Protocol, which has supported productivity and output growth in some sectors in Northern Ireland."

I'd never heard of the National Institute of Economic and Social Research before, it's certainly not held up as any measure of good work, so had a quick dive into who would be behind such fake hyperbole, which identify some very weepy conclusions.
Imagine my surprise when examining the "people" who were mostly academics, LSE, EU, etc but what really surprised me, was their list of "governors" which reads like a Remainers nominal roll:
Highlights include:
Governors of the National Institute of Economic and Social Research The Lord Adonis
Kamal Ahmed......

The list of wobble gobbed remainers comes as no surprise so I stopped digging.
They haven't gone away.

ETA:
Apart from the obvious above, I picked a few at random to look at.
We're going to have to dig a bigger hole:

It looks like an extension of Project Fear which worked tremendously for them the first time around.

It looks like an extension of Project Fear which worked tremendously for them the first time around.
They’re desperate to keep us in the common market, and by de facto the customs Union.

Easier to try and sell rejoining the EU at a later date and ensuring brexit isn’t a success.

Nobbygas

Old-Salt
The City is struggling eh?

London Stock Exchange Group (LSEG) just announced adjusted operating profit (EBITDA) for the first half of this year as 1.8 billion pounds up from 1.6 billion pounds the half year before.

Gggrrr Brexit.

I wonder how much she left out of the teary interview?
Given the rise in costs for basic ingredients for her product, transport costs and fuel for baking I doubt Brexit has anything to do with their plight but everything to do with the current economic blip.
I foresee more of these false flag Brexit doom stories.

Truxx

LE
I wonder how much she left out of the teary interview?
Given the rise in costs for basic ingredients for her product, transport costs and fuel for baking I doubt Brexit has anything to do with their plight but everything to do with the current economic blip.
I foresee more of these false flag Brexit doom stories.
I suspect too that Johnny foreigner might be able to knock up a meringue themselves these days.

ETA and the idea that fluffy sugar based rubbish is not being trailed thousands of miles across Europe is an environmental (and dental) win. Greta will be chuffed. I wonder how little tonnage there is in a truckload of meringues?

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
A definite Bruce Bonus for me today, courtesy of Brexit, is that any income from UK property rentals is no longer subject to French social contributions, got me 2021 tax demand of €0.
(Tax by another name.)
I would imagine that to be ditto across the EU for us Brits as we are now a third country in their eyes.

But I will stick the dosh to one side just in case they come up with another one, as they always do seem to.

Merci beaucoup mes braves!

My temporay pass runs out on the 19 November
Am going to ask for political assylum or french citizenship
I prefer the assylum solution
Finally have my dosh paid to me
Nearly 10 k € but do not have a bank account to recieve it
Will arrange some thing with the bank de France to open me a new account
It's a question of time
Been with out dosh since the start of the year...
And to be totally honest, i do not give a flying fk
No one asked me if i was pro or anti Britexit
I get the greif for others décisions
If i get an expulsion order, i will contest it and ask to be deported to any where else in the world but not the U.K.
Fuque them
Edit to add: French law, every one must have a bank account, even for people high in debt
Wich is not my case...i owe the Post Office 830 € ,unpaid over draugth and 1400 € for my flat
Once i obtain a new account...i can pay them a couple of hundred per month
Am in no rush

Last edited:

SLR_Shooter

Old-Salt
My temporay pass runs out on the 19 November
Am going to ask for political assylum or french citizenship
I prefer the assylum solution
Finally have my dosh paid to me
Nearly 10 k € but do not have a bank account to recieve it
Will arrange some thing with the bank de France to open me a new account
It's a question of time
Been with out dosh since the start of the year...
And to be totally honest, i do not give a flying fk
No one asked me if i was pro or anti Britexit
I get the greif for others décisions
If i get an expulsion order, i will contest it and ask to be deported to any where else in the world but not the U.K.
Fuque them
Don't you get it automatically due to spilled blood?*

* sounds more poetic in French.