The Brexit Consequences Thread

What a knob

My DHL Brexit chief tells me that in the last year they have moved over 700000 truckloads into and out of the EU.

Number of hold ups?

On days 1 and 2.

The emergency paperwork checking facilities set up in Kent to handle the holdups post 1 Jan 2021?

Closed on 21 Jan. A mere 3 weeks later. Not required.

GVMS established 1 Jan 2022, effectively pre clears goods into and out of UK before the truck gets anywhere near the port?

100% success.

Actually quicker overall than it used to be in EU FOM days as many cargos which are now pre cleared (livestock, some hazardous goods and even (and I like this one) pharmaceuticals and medical chemicals) used to be subject to checks at ports.

Dont you come on here with your damn facts and verifiable stats, that will never do.

Try reading all of it, I know there are some big words in it, but do try.
Obviously you have not. It said:

Freight traffic usually surges in the third week of January after the Christmas break but drivers said the delays this week caught many by surprise.

One driver, Ciaran Donovan, who has been posting about Brexit checks for the past three years, said it was taking “10-20m per vehicle to process paperwork”, adding sarcastically it had “absolutely nothing to do with Brexit apart from the fact Covid has nothing to do with it”.

Donovan said the delays had nothing to do with extra freight volumes. “I was on a ferry last week and it was half empty. There were just 90 trucks on a ferry that can take 180.

“The problem is they are taking 10 to 20 minutes to check the paperwork in both directions. A trip to Paris is now taking 20 hours more than usual,” he said. The queueing on the approach road to Dover had been a problem for months because of Brexit checks, he added.
Read before you reply.

Brilliant - 30% less traffic on raods between the Channel and the Irish Sea, 30% less wear and tear, 30% less pollution, and (as they don’t generally spend any money when using the ”land bridge”) no real loss of tax or local income.

What’s not to like?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Brilliant - 30% less traffic on raods between the Channel and the Irish Sea, 30% less wear and tear, 30% less pollution, and (as they don’t generally spend any money when using the ”land bridge”) no real loss of tax or local income.

What’s not to like?
Not only that, that proportion of Irish truck loads are being penalised by using a more expensive and longer route, cost of which will be passed on to the Irish economy. Hopefully that will teach the Teasock (deliberately mis-spelt because fcuk the bog-trotting sh1ts) and all his little leprechauns not to throw dung at Britannia.

Now post the rest of it, dimwit
Since you are unable to I will do so.

Once you start insulting you lose the argument, given a lack of intelligent response :).

Dover blames queues on spike in freight traffic not Brexit​

Frustrated drivers disagree, saying Brexit checks and Covid paperwork were behind delays on port approach
Long line of lorries for Dover port along a coast road.

Lorries queue for the Port of Dover on January 18, 2022. Photograph: Gareth Fuller/PA

Lisa O'Carroll Brexit correspondent
@lisaocarroll
Sat 22 Jan 2022 12.37 GMT

Long queues of lorries built up on approach roads to Dover this week because of a spike in freight traffic and not because of Brexit, the Port has said.
However, drivers on the road expressed fury over the delays, describing the situation as “absolute carnage” and blaming a mixture of delays in Brexit checks and Covid paperwork.

Highways England confirmed that high volumes of traffic had led to queues but with Brexit checks in place for more than a year, drivers were baffled as to why this week had been so bad.
The increase in freight traffic meant that the Operation Travel Access Protocol (TAP), a temporary traffic management system, which was devised for heavy traffic times in 2015, was put in place on Wednesday and Thursday leading to tailbacks on the A20.
Drivers were also reporting long delays at the inland border facility in Ashford where truckers must pre-notify French authorities of their cargo in order to get the goods vehicle movement certification necessary for boarding a ferry.
Some have blamed a new software system, now in operation, which could have led to additional teething problems in Ashford.

The front of the line of lorries in Operation Brock on the M20 near Ashford in Kent on Christmas Day
Work on post-Brexit lorry contraflow system in Kent will disrupt M20 for a year
Read more

“A20 Dover TAP has indeed been in place for short periods of time this week. TAP is a well established and regularly used normal operational tool to help manage traffic flows into the Port of Dover at busy times and it has been for a number of years. This was the case yesterday as it has been similarly over the past few days,” said a spokesperson for the Port of Dover.
Freight traffic usually surges in the third week of January after the Christmas break but drivers said the delays this week caught many by surprise.
One driver, Ciaran Donovan, who has been posting about Brexit checks for the past three years, said it was taking “10-20m per vehicle to process paperwork”, adding sarcastically it had “absolutely nothing to do with Brexit apart from the fact Covid has nothing to do with it”.
Donovan said the delays had nothing to do with extra freight volumes. “I was on a ferry last week and it was half empty. There were just 90 trucks on a ferry that can take 180.
“The problem is they are taking 10 to 20 minutes to check the paperwork in both directions. A trip to Paris is now taking 20 hours more than usual,” he said. The queueing on the approach road to Dover had been a problem for months because of Brexit checks, he added.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Since you are unable to I will do so.

Once you start insulting you lose the argument, given a lack of intelligent response :).
That's not the whole article, dimwit, as you're clearly determined to embarrass yourself here. . .

Queues appeared to have eased on Saturday, with one website that tracks driver experiences on the road claiming the queue stretched back just more than one mile.
Earlier this week the Port of Dover said it was concerned queues could get much worse in September, when airport-style biometric checks are due to be implemented.
Doug Bannister, the chief executive of the port, is looking for urgent meetings with the government amid fears the checks will add delays and cause danger.
“As currently designed, the biometric checks work well at an airport or a rail terminal, but they’re not designed for a busy roll-on, roll-off ferry terminal.
“If it is forcing people to get out of their vehicles inside of a busy port, that is just unsafe. We couldn’t allow that to happen. That will lead to increased queues, no doubt,” he told the BBC.
Earlier this week the House of Commons transport select committee visited Dover as part of a fact-finding mission ahead of the introduction of the checks in September.
The committee chair, Huw Merriman, said it was important that the British and French worked together to find a solution, adding: “We have to rely on the French to assist us here as well. It causes as much damage over in Calais as it will here in the Port Dover.”

I notice as mentioned earlier they also skipped over the cancelled ferry, which obviously had NO impact at all, no siree bob, there's also a tweet that won't copy over mentioning 30KM queues at Calais as well

Last edited:
Problems of Brexit abound alles uber der platz.
Danish gas prices up by 110% in the last three months, and going up in some areas by another 185% from April (previously posted so look it up yourself).
Now electricity prices in the next country over are going up 266%.
Most of which is hydro or nuclear generated.
How bizarre, how bizarre.

Problems of Brexit abound alles uber der platz.
Danish gas prices up by 110% in the last three months, and going up in some areas by another 185% from April (previously posted so look it up yourself).
Now electricity prices in the next country over are going up 266%.
Most of which is hydro or nuclear generated.
How bizarre, how bizarre.

In Norway I used 4250 Kwh in November for 10631 Nok (887 quid) but the Norwegian government have paid 3128 Nok (261 quid) of it.

******* brexit

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
In Norway I used 4250 Kwh in November for 10631 Nok (887 quid) but the Norwegian government have paid 3128 Nok (261 quid) of it.

******* brexit
I bet the Norwegian Tax Payer is more than content with this government largesse on their behalf.

Mind you at the moment they are probably more concerned with Vlad the impaller and his impending military adventurism.

I was surprised to meet Green Party politicos in Norway who were very pro NATO. Then again the threat is a little more up close and personal compared to our moon howlers.

I bet the Norwegian Tax Payer is more than content with this government largesse on their behalf.

Certain people are getting the subsidies like people in some communal buildings (where separate bills cant be attributed to one person) basically poor people
I was surprised to meet Green Party politicos in Norway who were very pro NATO. Then again the threat is a little more up close and personal compared to our moon howlers.

They are still moonhowlers, they want to stop all oil and gas drilling.

Most of the Norweigen population "Whats going to replace the hundreds of thousands of jobs related to gas and oil plus the tens of billions of taxes"

Green party "Errrrrrrr"

Certain people are getting the subsidies like people in some communal buildings (where separate bills cant be attributed to one person) basically poor people

In Hohne we lived in one of the barrack blocks converted into SFAs and we had shared heating and hot water bills among the four families who lived in the block.

No-one gave the tight-Jock-newly-wed upstairs the memo and while the rest of us just left the heating on 24/7 during the winter, him and his missis sat in the freezing cold with jumpers on.

He was a tight barsteward.

You should've seen the look of horror on his face when he found out at a summer barbecue that they'd frozen their nuts off to subsidise our heating.

He He He

You couldn't make it up ( If the report is true )

Boris Johnson is poised to fight off legal action from Brussels as the European Union demands access to the booming British wind farm industry.

Ministers are preparing to hit back as officials inside the European Commission examine whether UK companies are prioritised for lucrative contracts in the supply chain.

They are still struck dumb that the UK left the EU :D :D

Latest Threads