The Brexit Consequences Thread

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
A (not very) tongue in cheek comparison of the anti Brexit movement and the US Capitol riots in the Speccy:

A (not very) tongue in cheek comparison of the anti Brexit movement and the US Capitol riots in the Speccy:

I did have fun on Facebook a year ago by highlighting that anyone who supported a second referendum must support the MAGA Mob’s attempt to overturn the US Election result.

You have a vote, you don’t like the result, so you demand the result is ignored, using a variety of specious arguments, a mob gathered and attempted to pressure politicians and policy makers into not implementing the result, people declared the result was not theirs so could be ignored, people claimed implementing the result would destroy the country, people called for independence for parts of the country that lost and do on.

Second Referendum supports and MAGA supports are essentially the same.

Feckin‘ nutjobs.

Dread

LE
Perhaps Gracucünt and Baggy can explain how Brexit is causing rapidly rising inflation and the empty shelves seen across the USA?

Must be a simple enough task for such experts.

Perhaps Gracucünt and Baggy can explain how Brexit is causing rapidly rising inflation and the empty shelves seen across the USA?

Must be a simple enough task for such experts.

To be fair to the yanks, Biden is proof they've introduced the national clown service threatened due to Brexit

An unusual action? An MP lobbying a foreign government on behalf of the UK. Which ever side of the Brexit debate you're on, it seems strange to me as to who's authority he's doing this on, unless PMTM instructed him to do so.

'Daniel Kawczynski, the MP for Shrewsbury and Atcham in Shropshire, revealed his request in a tweet in which he said: “Any attempts by Remainer MPs to delay or obstruct Brexit must be opposed. Today I have formally asked Polish Government to veto any motions by EU to allow extension of Article 50." '

Read more at: Daniel Kawczynski: Tory MP asks Poland to block Article 50 extension – and force no-deal Brexit

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
I wonder how the Doom & Gloom merchants will explain this one

Despite Brexit - Despite the ravages of a worldwide pandemic

I think your graphic answers your question.

“Boris (grrrre) why are you putting up people’s fuel bills and murdering them with Covid whilst quaffing champagne at garden parties. Did you murder the Duke of Edinburg?

I wonder how the Doom & Gloom merchants will explain this one

Despite Brexit - Despite the ravages of a worldwide pandemic

Well in that tweet the author's mentioned 'energy bills' as if it's a domestic problem that can be solved with a domestic solution.

From my understanding it's a world wide problem and there's no domestic solution; even a reduction or removal of VAT wouldn't do much.

So I'll assume that they'll conflate a world wide problem with lack of action at a national level.

Interesting article

The United Kingdom lost access to the Galileo satellite navigation network when its EU membership ended, but as geopolitical tensions continue to rise, could Britain return to the GPS fold?
Somewhat ironically, the British government was among those EU countries lobbying against membership for non-EU members when the UK was a part of the bloc, reportedly citing security concerns and, less vocally, industrial interests as a reason to ring-fence Galileo.

The latter issue was wholeheartedly seized upon and supported by France, which continues to champion the interests of its domestic industry, which includes Airbus, Arianespace and Safran.

But as geopolitical tensions rise in Europe’s east with Russia’s continued posturing towards Ukraine and the Kremlin’s role in exacerbating energy prices in the West, the UK government might yet ask Brussels to let it rejoin Galileo.

That is according to MP David Morris, the chair of the parliamentary space committee, who told the Daily Express that the situation in Ukraine “will sharpen everyone’s attention” and spur a rethink of how intelligence resources are managed.

“I think we’ll step back from the brink and the grown-ups in the room will calm it all down,” Mr Morris said, adding that once the French presidential elections are over in April, there could be a compromise.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Interesting article

The United Kingdom lost access to the Galileo satellite navigation network when its EU membership ended, but as geopolitical tensions continue to rise, could Britain return to the GPS fold?
Somewhat ironically, the British government was among those EU countries lobbying against membership for non-EU members when the UK was a part of the bloc, reportedly citing security concerns and, less vocally, industrial interests as a reason to ring-fence Galileo.

The latter issue was wholeheartedly seized upon and supported by France, which continues to champion the interests of its domestic industry, which includes Airbus, Arianespace and Safran.

But as geopolitical tensions rise in Europe’s east with Russia’s continued posturing towards Ukraine and the Kremlin’s role in exacerbating energy prices in the West, the UK government might yet ask Brussels to let it rejoin Galileo.

That is according to MP David Morris, the chair of the parliamentary space committee, who told the Daily Express that the situation in Ukraine “will sharpen everyone’s attention” and spur a rethink of how intelligence resources are managed.

“I think we’ll step back from the brink and the grown-ups in the room will calm it all down,” Mr Morris said, adding that once the French presidential elections are over in April, there could be a compromise.
Why would we want to pay for this second rate system when we have access to GPS?

It was always a ridiculous vanity project. We’re well out of it.

Interesting article

BREXIT saw the UK leave the Galileo programme, despite investing £1.2billion into the space probe and supplying, and assembling, 34 key parts for the project​

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer

BREXIT saw the UK leave the Galileo programme, despite investing £1.2billion into the space probe and supplying, and assembling, 34 key parts for the project​

Pity we could jail the clowns responsible for squandering money like that. Still we’re well out now.

Why would we want to pay for this second rate system when we have access to GPS?

It was always a ridiculous vanity project. We’re well out of it.
We don’t have full access to GPS, only the open access. We will also have access to the open access part of Galileo (which will perform better than open access GPS) without contributing a penny, but there must be a reason why the chair of the Parliamentary Space Committee is putting it out there that the UK may seek a way back in.

without contributing a penny, but there must be a reason why the chair of the Parliamentary Space Committee is putting it out there that the UK may seek a way back in.
1.2 billion is not a penny

We don’t have full access to GPS, only the open access. We will also have access to the open access part of Galileo (which will perform better than open access GPS) without contributing a penny, but there must be a reason why the chair of the Parliamentary Space Committee is putting it out there that the UK may seek a way back in.

The open access stuff on a cheap GPS receiver can give you accuracy to 8m, sometimes less. I've had better on a smartphone . That's well good enough for most civil uses.
Bear in mind GPS recievers range from cheap to very expensive with encrypted mil jobs getting sub metre accuracy.
What Galileo does is guarantee a certain level of accuracy for particular users. I don't need better than 4-8m accuracy on my bike , but a SAR pilot might want a consistent 2m or better if he's trying pickups in low vis. You pay for a package that gives you a garanteed level of service. Otherwise their free offering is much the same as GPS .

That's quite a claim.

Any links?

Latest Threads