The Brexit Consequences Thread

NYE party in the village pub saw me cornered by a young French/English couple who both work in Brussels for the EU.

They're planning to get married, but apparently Brexit has scuppered that.

Love conquers all.

Apart from Brexit, apparently.

Soppy cnuts.
I can 100% guarantee that their plans were not scuppered by Brexit in any way - there is specific legislation (actually case law) to cover that scenario.
Genuinely, if you see them again tell them to sharpish get themselves to a decent immigration lawyer - and not the useless sort you would find on the high street. Might cost them a few hundred quid but the visa for the European will be free.

NYE party in the village pub saw me cornered by a young French/English couple who both work in Brussels for the EU.

They're planning to get married, but apparently Brexit has scuppered that.

Love conquers all.

Apart from Brexit, apparently.

Soppy cnuts.
Romanian I work with said that Brexit has stopping his plans of buying a house.
all he does is go on about how good Romania is, didn't like it when I asked why did he leave at aged 17 to go to turkey to live

A point to consider is Net Zero and steel production. It's seemingly acceptable to import from inefficient plants using dirty coal but using clean coal and coke in UK seems to cause much angst. We must be held to stricter rules and greater limitations to save the planet. The same is not expected of Indian, Chinese and European steel makers. I wonder why?
because we've been stripped, the EU has done deals with it's carbon emissions, they're bigger (India and China)- and there's some whopping great lies out there. But there is absolutely noting to stop up us from applying ADD to European Steel.

I can 100% guarantee that their plans were not scuppered by Brexit in any way - there is specific legislation (actually case law) to cover that scenario.
Genuinely, if you see them again tell them to sharpish get themselves to a decent immigration lawyer - and not the useless sort you would find on the high street. Might cost them a few hundred quid but the visa for the European will be free.

If they really are in love then nothing would stop them.

I suspect that may not be the case.

Dumb1

War Hero
all he does is go on about how good Romania is, didn't like it when I asked why did he leave at aged 17 to go to turkey to live
Would it surprise you to know that one in every twenty Romanians have applied for settled status in the UK? It's one in ten Latvians mind.

Tyk

LE
The currency debate is all a matter of perspective, to an exporter a low value currency is lovely, so long as his materials are sourced in country, but to an importer a high value one is far better.
To the likes of me who travels a fair bit I love or hate it both ways depending on who's paying and in what currency.
There's also the national pride argument for the types that see a strong currency as a bit of willy waving.

These days the UK is heavily skewed towards service businesses and consumer goods imports, but the economy is heavily buoyed up by the finance sector which actually doesn't care all that much as they make cash on the exchange markets anyway :D

Last edited:
Would it surprise you to know that one in every twenty Romanians have applied for settled status in the UK? It's one in ten Latvians mind.
Yes as that would mean there where 10+ millions more here or do you mean all of them?

I think the population of Romania is about...20M give or take... the number of Romanians who have applied for settled status.... a bit north of 1M.
In which case it is highly likely that London is now the second largest city in terms of Romanian population.

In which case it is highly likely that London is now the second largest city in terms of Romanian CRIMINAL population.
Usual cost

Actingunpaid

War Hero
It’s easy enough to find the graph.
Much obliged, Major. Papers in yet?

sooooop dogg.png

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

Oddly enough the Romanian I work with loves it here despite not being able to afford a house. She's fairly practical about it all as on her wages she'll never be buying regardless of Brexit.

Latest Threads