The Brexit Consequences Thread

Yet...in my observation (living in various places) the French, Spanish and Italians, at a minimum (stand fast Germans) do precisely the opposite. They culturally have very strong tendencies to do exactly what they want and don't worry much about the law or expect it to get out of their way - which often it does by being much more in the background than in the UK, by its processes taking a long time, and I bet sheer fatigue at being the bad guy.

Conversely, the modern British citizen is much more supine and inclined to reach for the phone and call the authorities at most opportunities, who are increasingly happy to get involved to arbitrate the most minor incidents which could be easily resolved without them, and would be in those major European countries. In fact, the modern British citizen is pretty much more supine to authority than any in any other country I've encountered outside the south-east Asian countries (China, Japan, Korea, etc).

@Lindermyer @LeoRoverman How do you explain this?
I commented on how the law worked - not on the willingness of the locals to obey it.

Its another oddity though that whilst the UK population is more inclined to obey authourity* The UK is far less inclined to vote in Totalitarian governments / Systems.

I can only speculate that perhaps both have something to do with being an island** thus less susceptible to invasion and having hoofed out totalitarian rulers some 600 years ago.

This would tend towards far more stability of State and laws meaning its easier for the man on the bus to comprehend, follow and agree with them. Its perhaps a function of invasions and lands changing hands that a more pragmatic attitude is taken after all no point making all the effort to do what this king wants when next years will want something differrent.

Edit - to add - As for bubbling someone - I cant speak for Germany but France has a big issue with denouncing people - a hang up from certain events and actions of (to many) individuals between 1940 and 1945 - Its why theres few CCTV cameras in cities and police very very rarely appeal for infomation - big Psychological scar there.

* Perhaps why we go for Policing by consent and less police powers eg in UK Police need a reason to stop you - In France Gendarme VCPs are a regular occurance - to ensure compliance with insurance MOT etc.
Bane of my life they are - when it had UK plates they always stopped the 90 just to check I wasnt running dodgy - Since its had French Plates they always stop the 90 because they dont believe its legit. Only once in 11 years have I not been stopped and it was clear from their faces that as the wife was in the car they hadent twigged it was a right hooker until it was to late to stop me safely.

I digress but the (rather rambling) point is that perhaps Continental police have more powers because they need to Enforce the law rather than trustingthe populace to obey it - which may of course be a vicious circle - the population sees no need to obey unless theres a risk of being caught.

France is still in the Drink Drivingis only a problem if you are caught phase - unfortunatly the attitude isnt diminishing with the next generation - if anything its just as prevelant if not worse - ( safer cars and less officers on traffic duty perhaps) Near me far to many youths were leaving the night club and having car tree interfaces - Theyve removed all the trees from the road to make it safer.

** I would certainly attribute being an Island to a more hostile approach to succesful invasions*- its a rarity as such the population will be less accepting regrettibly it does in some instances manifest into an intolerance of foreighners in general

*See Rome and the fact that England was one of the few places that required a permanent garrison to prevent (constant) rebellion, the Normans viz the actions required to retain control and the plans put forth in 1940 should the unmentionable aquatic mammal have come to pass

Last edited:
Even in Germany and Austria, I've asked why the indoors smoking ban isn't enforced, and with a shrug they just say it doesn't suit them.

How is it applied in those countries

In the UK if you smoke in the Pub - the pub is fined, In France - you are fined - so the pub doesnt care if you smoke - get caught youre problem

I do get around much, and the evidence seems to me (hasn't the past year backed this up?) that the modern British are actually among the least rebellious and most deferential to authority.
Or could be that the British are unruly and the softly less authoratarian approach sees cooperation because as others have said noones pushing to hard.
When was the last time a really unpopular and contentious bit of legislation passed (other than Brexit) - Poll Tax? fair to say that wasnt met with aquiessance

My Bold.
This explains why the majority of English voted for Brexit 5 times despite the msm and City of London, HoP and just about everybody in authority being against it.
Thankyou for a most insightful explanation.
I think that was native belligerance

The comments from certain EU officials viz "Punishing Britain" if they voted leave may well have resulted in a swing to Brexit.

I certainly know individuals who either only voted Brexit / would do si if asked again as a result of Vorshkamps and others comments pre vote and EU actions / comments post vote.

Ive said before - I can only think from the EU rhetoric leading up to the vote - they wanted the UK out - because anyone who had studied British history would know that their language and comments would see a Foxtrot Oscar from many on principle even if it was cutting off their own nose.

Truxx

LE
Right, so we've left. I think we can agree that (due to a number of circumstances) things ain't going great, they're no where near as bad as some would make out (or like), but still, they ain't great.
What EU rules could the government have torn up? If not to make things actually better, then just to put a more positive spin on things.
This was about "taking back control", yet the government doesn't seem to have done much of it.

I voted leave BTW in case anyone mistakes my comment & question for the ramblings of a snivelling remainer :grin: ........
Apart from vaccinations obvs...

Right, so we've left. I think we can agree that (due to a number of circumstances) things ain't going great, they're no where near as bad as some would make out (or like), but still, they ain't great.
Things ain't going great anywhere mate, in case we hadn't noticed.
A massive shortage of casual labour from up in north Denmark down to southwest France where the fruit is still sitting on the trees.
Last month the Danish government was warning of gas shortages and other stocks as we head towards winter and Christmas, gazole (diesel) prices in France have gone from €1.42 to €1.53 a litre in a week locally.
Mains gas in Paris has gone up 60% in price in one year and heating oil has gone above €1 a litre.
A lot of people are very pissed off and unhappy alles uber der platz, only here they prefer to express their feelings a little more bluntly.
(And to think that the Gilets Jaunes kicked off last time when gazole hit €1.40 a litre)
Going to be an interesting run up to an election next year.

Things really ain't going great anywhere as far as I can see.

A massive shortage of casual labour from up in north Denmark down to southwest France where the fruit is still sitting on the trees.
Last month the Danish government was warning of gas shortages and other stocks as we head towards winter and Christmas, gazole (diesel) prices in France have gone from €1.42 to €1.53 a litre in a week locally.
Mains gas in Paris has gone up 60% in price in one year and heating oil has gone above €1 a litre.
A lot of people are very pissed off and unhappy alles uber der platz, only here they prefer to express their feelings a little more bluntly.
(And to think that the Gilets Jaunes kicked off last time when gazole hit €1.40 a litre)
Going to be an interesting run up to an election next year.

Things really ain't going great anywhere as far as I can see.

Electricity prices havent exactly stood still either.

Food prices have also had some large increases - Dog food is up 30 - 50%, Fresh Fish is up significantly about 20% perhaps - not sure about veg as I grow most of my own. Chocalate jumped in price significantly this month as did coffee.

Often encounter empty shelves - not terribly bad but certain product lines - some items we could find in Leclerc Carrefour and Super U dissapeared during Covid and can now only be found in Leclerc - (Carrefour still has the shelf allocated for them just nil stock)

Sunflower oil costs more than diesel

Only thing I can say for certain hasnt increased in price are digestive biscuits.

As an aside If you post the above on face book be prepared to be told you are a sheep / thick Brexiter / need to stop reading the Mail/ Express / have made it up. Because prices havent increased in the EU because they have EU wide purchasing power and subsidise the energy costs to protect the consumer.

Truxx

LE

Food prices have also had some large increases - Dog food is up 30 - 50%, Fresh Fish is up significantly about 20% perhaps - not sure about veg as I grow most of my own. Chocalate jumped in price significantly this month as did coffee.

Often encounter empty shelves - not terribly bad but certain product lines - some items we could find in Leclerc Carrefour and Super U dissapeared during Covid and can now only be found in Leclerc - (Carrefour still has the shelf allocated for them just nil stock)

Only thing I can say for certain hasnt increased in price are digestive biscuits.

As an aside If you post the above on face book be prepared to be told you are a sheep / thick Brexiter / need to stop reading the Mail/ Express / have made it up. Because prices havent increased in the EU because they have EU wide purchasing power and subsidise the energy costs to protect the consumer.
I have nicked and slighty edited both that and the previous from @harrythebastard and stuck it on fizzogbook as suggested. I daresay I will be called racist again. Mind you it is facebook - I has a post deleted and got a telling off for using inappropriate language the other day. I wrote "Righty Ho" in response to someone. The bots did not like "ho" apparently.

Which tells you this is far more to do with lockdowns related to Covid altering the positioning than anything to with Brexit. Thousands of people have died as result of the Chinese “mistake”. It’s also highlighted a woeful ignorance about how and why people move around by the MSM in their Boris bashing.

I have nicked and slighty edited both that and the previous from @harrythebastard and stuck it on fizzogbook as suggested. I daresay I will be called racist again. Mind you it is facebook - I has a post deleted and got a telling off for using inappropriate language the other day. I wrote "Righty Ho" in response to someone. The bots did not like "ho" apparently.
Crack on mate, I waive my right to copyright!
Most of my neighbours are in their 80's + and on a fixed income that is shrinking all the time.
There are no triple-locked pensions here, except perhaps for senior public servants?
They are tough old boots just the same, they have lived through an awful lot more than I have, including Telic, and will carry on regardless.
Now the current snowflake generation, that is another thing and they will be out on the streets very soon if all this carries on.
And a €100 a month gas bill that is now €160 for the same sized place in just a year?
Unsustainable by any means.

Obviously I can't speak for elsewhere but that is the situation in France.
Any views from our Dutch or German resident correspondents?

Which tells you this is far more to do with lockdowns related to Covid altering the positioning than anything to with Brexit. Thousands of people have died as result of the Chinese “mistake”. It’s also highlighted a woeful ignorance about how and why people move around by the MSM in their Boris bashing.

A lot of it is the casual labour force going home as a result of Covid and being paid full pay/furlough to do so by various governments.
Then finding that where they came from 20+ years ago isn't quite such a sh1thole and is not now a bad place to live and bring up kids.
Similar dosh for living in your home country too.
No wonder they are not rushing back to Germany, Denmark, Austria and some other previously welcoming countries.
Would you?

Stuck away in the paper today just a little snippet, it seems that Boris has stolen a March on the EU and is having a summit with Visegrad leaders. This apparently displeases Mssr Macron as it might bolster Poland’s position re exiting the EU. But I don’t think that is Boris’ intention, it would weaken the EU and strengthen Russia. Given Britain’s current commitment to Poland militarily he may just be opening the way for MS’s to negotiate separate deals. This will do far more damage to the EU.

My bold "Faceache" has gone seriously uber woke, as a result of some "robust" comments on how drivers should treat the IB morons I know get this message
15 Oct 2021
Your comment didn't follow our Community Standards

and I'm now on a months suspension, it has happened before and no doubt I will be banned eventually. So much for free speech!

Arse_Bandit

War Hero

This occasional gaps in certain lines is how I see the "shortages" in the UK that have been whinged about for about 200 pages of this thread... I think we have all become so used to overflowing shelves with cheap deals that the tiniest inconvenience is then a "catastrophe" in the MSM...

I have seen no real shortages in the South West of England, nor any queing for fuel, it's almost like the hauliers have deliberately inconvenienced the London Massive so that the whole country gets news coverage of shortages so they can push their agenda for continued access to cheap labour!

I think we have all become so used to overflowing shelves with cheap deals that the tiniest inconvenience is then a "catastrophe" in the MSM...
I was wondering about something similar on Sunday, as I was date checking the bread shelves at the supermarket where I work.

This is a small store in a small town, out of the tourist season now.

We have 23 different types of loaves.

Oyibo

LE

Latest Threads