The Brexit Consequences Thread

Two Jags Redwood has spoken.

All Is Well...

243082548_4732291233496578_6448041754041823438_n.jpg

No, I just noted you're talking out of a bodily orifice not usually associated with conversation.

You seem to think cabotage relates solely to petrol.

It doesn't.

Maybe ask @Truxx,hes Mr. G4.,
A helix goes around in a spiral, so do your arguments. I mentioned nothing about Petrol when talking cabotage. I was working in ports when it ended, I merely told you what cabotage was. Talking of Bodily orifices.....
And, it still is Covid time.
We're getting there.

A helix goes around in a spiral, so do your arguments. I mentioned nothing about Petrol when talking cabotage.

Here you are, not talking about cabotage and petrol deliveries. Except for the bits where you do.

Do you understand what Cabotage actually is and how does that affect petrol deliveries? Cabotage was the inability of foreign drivers to tout for British export loads having arrived with foreign imports because that is uneconomic for the haulier, nothing to do with the internal haulage market.
A little less rabid typing, and a little more reading would help you try to (almost) make a point.

I’d expect shortages after the impact of a global pandemic. That’s why there’s shortages on the continent as well.

People who make the food stayed at home during the pandemic which meant that some food wasn’t made.

People who make the packaging stayed at home during the pandemic which meant that some packaging wasn’t made.

Some HGV drivers went home during the pandemic which meant that there’s been a shortage of drivers. (Only 18% of the shortfall of drivers fall into that category. Not 18% of drivers, just 18% of the drivers that were driving ore pandemic which aren’t driving now post pandemic)*

Some HGV drivers retired during the pandemic.*

Some want to be HGV drivers weren’t allowed to get tested for 18 months during the pandemic.*

I suspect that some HGV drivers who were furloughed or lost their jobs during the pandemic went out and found alternative work and haven’t returned to driving.*

The 24 hour news cycle needs feeding so any old pish can be broadcast/printed.

*there was a shortage of HGV drivers in the U.K. and throughout the EU before the pandemic. Maybe, just maybe, the COOP will start selling cream cheese that doesn’t have to be shipped in from Denmark now and the pasta I buy (wheat, water and eggs) could be produced more locally, unless it’s only the Italians who know how to mix wheat, water and eggs together.

Slight aside, a lot of durum wheat floor comes from Brazil.

Do you understand what Cabotage actually is and how does that affect petrol deliveries? Cabotage was the inability of foreign drivers to tout for British export loads having arrived with foreign imports because that is uneconomic for the haulier, nothing to do with the internal haulage market.

It looks like gov isn't giving away any short term visas for migrant workers and will be using the army instead.

It's really looking like there's a battle going on between big business/corporations who're determined to get their cheap labour, and gov who is trying to keep it out.

Weird when you consider that the Tories used to be the ones who'd do the bidding of big business/corporations at the expense of the working class.

If the RHA are leaking details of meetings, what can the government do about it?

And if the government did know they were doing it why didn’t they do anything before?

It's really looking like there's a battle going on between big business/corporations who're determined to get their cheap labour, and gov who is trying to keep it out.
Indeed it does, Starmer must be chewing his fingers at the displeasure the TUC must be suffering at it’s ultimate demise. A Government that actually appears to be doing things for the people. Tony Robinson has just been on GMB ranting, that has to be a good thing. Perhaps @Bravo_Bravo will learn something from this.

It looks like gov isn't giving away any short term visas for migrant workers and will be using the army instead.

Weird when you consider that the Tories used to be the ones who'd do the bidding of big business/corporations at the expense of the working class.

At the moment, there isn't a G. E. on the horizon so they don't need money desperately, I think.

Edit brain fart, forgot the verb

Last edited:

Wee Hawken

War Hero
Two Jags Redwood has spoken.

All Is Well...

243082548_4732291233496578_6448041754041823438_n.jpg
Maybe - just maybe - there is a small difference between what to takes to: (1) drive a small white van and drop parcels off at peoples' houses; and (2) safely and competently operate a very large and potentially dangerous articulated truck or fuel tanker.

The facileness (is that a word?) of Mr Redwood's logic is breathtaking. Sadly it seems to pretty much reflect the thinking (or lack of it) around the Cabinet table.

The facileness (is that a word?) of Mr Redwood's logic is breathtaking. Sadly it seems to pretty much reflect the thinking (or lack of it) around the Cabinet table.

I disagree. There is a point to creating a tighter labour force; it's what drives a high wage, high skill economy.

You restrict the cheap labour which increases the price of it, which in turn forces business to spend on capital investment (machines/tech) which reduces the need for manpower and increases productivity.

This is the vision of the UK Gov and it will be undermined if they capitulate to the wants of big business and allow in masses of cheap labour.

We have a Gov with a real vision, rather than a Gov who just manages the status quo.

This is a tangible Brexit benefit.

Wee Hawken

War Hero
I disagree. There is a point to creating a tighter labour force; it's what drives a high wage, high skill economy.

You restrict the cheap labour which increases the price of it, which in turn forces business to spend on capital investment (machines/tech) which reduces the need for manpower and increases productivity.

This is the vision of the UK Gov and it will be undermined if they capitulate to the wants of big business and allow in masses of cheap labour.

We have a Gov with a real vision, rather than Gov who just manages the status quo.

This is a tangible Brexit benefit.
Not sure of the relevance of any of this to Mr Redwood's pearl of wisdom above :)

Maybe - just maybe - there is a small difference between what to takes to: (1) drive a small white van and drop parcels off at peoples' houses; and (2) safely and competently operate a very large and potentially dangerous articulated truck or fuel tanker.

You are missing Redwood's point.
He is saying that employers who need HGV drivers should look at how the online companies managed to attract the staff they needed. You would have to be a special kind of stupid to think he is advocating employing van drivers as HGV drivers.

Latest Threads