The Brexit Consequences Thread

Paying more will not increase the number of workers. The old-age-dependency ratio (the number of people of pensionable age for every 1,000 people of working age.)is forecast to rise from the current c.300 to 360 by 2043. The UK needs an injection of young people.

We'll have self driving lorries that work by 2043.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
One of the undeniable benefits of Brexit is that the UK is now world leader in the field of driverless lorries.

Well the truth is there's been a problem brewing for decades. All Brexit has done is highlight a problem and I see that as a good thing since those problems will be addressed.

The people who wobble their bottom lips about the driver shortage are the same kind of people who get moist about who will be serving their coffee in Pret.

Well the truth is there's been a problem brewing for decades. All Brexit has done is highlight a problem and I see that as a good thing since those problems will be addressed.

The people who wobble their bottom lips about the driver shortage are the same kind of people who get moist about who will be serving their coffee in Pret.

How many people have said that Brexit has caused the workforce shortage?

Countless.

How many people have conceded that Brexit is only partly the cause of the workforce shortage?

Very few

How many people have acknowledged that membership of the EU, freedom of movement, and cheap unskilled labour have also contributed to the conditions for the straits we find ourselves in?

Fcuking zero.

The first crack?
The first crack of what?

More mass EU immigration?

I think not.

Remongers are just being lied to; Brexit isn't the problem, Brexit has just highlighted a problem that's been around for years.

1b.jpg

How many people have said that Brexit has caused the workforce shortage?

Countless.

How many people have conceded that Brexit is only partly the cause of the workforce shortage?

Very few

How many people have acknowledged that membership of the EU, freedom of movement, and cheap unskilled labour have also contributed to the conditions for the straits we find ourselves in?

Fcuking zero.

Excuse me! I've said all of that, repeatedly!

Presumably you meant how many people who's opinion counts for anything rather than just us oiks

Well I am genuinely puzzled. The missing HGV drivers. If EUrope has a shortage and we have a shortage, where have they all gone. Of course if EUrope has. Shortage they won’t come here, will they.

Apparently it’s not just a case of driving a truck, it’s all the HS concerns so it will be months before the new trainees hit the roads. But then it will be months before the Visa‘d drivers get here and get going unless they’re prequalified with all our HS.
Of course in true Dadsarmy style it Don’t panic, so what do people do, panic and this is fed back by the news hounds, such is the responsibility of the media. According to Spiegel, Barnier never understood what Brexit was all about. Well that figures.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
A lot of the public have missed the fact that most businesses are only concerned about profit. If decent wages/expenses had been paid and if driver training had been paid there would not have been this problem several years ago. Unfortunately the very, very cheap European drivers meant more profit.

Krelsea

Old-Salt
Well I am genuinely puzzled. The missing HGV drivers. If EUrope has a shortage and we have a shortage, where have they all gone. Of course if EUrope has. Shortage they won’t come here, will they.
Did wonder that myself with all the calls to allow drivers to come in on a short term basis. If Europe has a huge shortage too surely then how are they going to fill our shortage?

A lot of the public have missed the fact that most businesses are only concerned about profit. If decent wages/expenses had been paid and if driver training had been paid there would not have been this problem several years ago. Unfortunately the very, very cheap European drivers meant more profit.

You're amazed that businesses operate for a profit? Well I never.
They're also concerned about not being undercut by the opposition, hence the "our basket is cheaper than X supermarket" ads. If they paid the drivers (and shelf stackers, checkout, milk farmers etc) more then the prices would have to rise otherwise they wouldn't be making any of those nasty profits you seem so worried about.

We are now into high inflation zones again.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
They're also concerned about not being undercut by the opposition, hence the "our basket is cheaper than X supermarket" ads. If they paid the drivers (and shelf stackers, checkout, milk farmers etc) more then the prices would have to rise otherwise they wouldn't be making any of those nasty profits you seem so worried about.

I did not say "I'm amazed".

Paying more will not increase the number of workers. The old-age-dependency ratio (the number of people of pensionable age for every 1,000 people of working age.)is forecast to rise from the current c.300 to 360 by 2043. The UK needs an injection of young people.
Wake up! Over the last 20 years the UK has had a massive injection of people - many of which are now citizens and breeding like rabbits - the schools are full to the point people can’t get their kids into a local school or housing and the new immigrants have a lot more babies than the indigent pop - at some point we need to throttle back and adjust - that means infrastructure and a new approach. The pandemic has taught us that we need to bring manufacturing and employment hone - even if that costs us more and we must remember that the whole of Europe is suffering a lack of foreign workers as the wages in their home countries have improved - no different from what we have to do

A vampire economy like the UK, addicted to the exploitation of the young, motivated and skilled foreign professionals who provide the cheap unskilled labour, will inevitably suffer from high inflation when that source is interrupted.

Brexit was the first and most obvious reason for the gravy train to hit the buffers, but given that anyone from the EU could settle here, there was no great expulsion of foreign nationals as many claim.

The second big hit was the pandemic which rightly caused many to return home, despite the free money from the furlough scheme, which obviously nobody abused by accepting it whilst being out of the country.

Thirdly, who would have thought that the domestic economies of those migrant workers could improve to the point where they didn't need to be exploited abroad, allowing them to pursue their profession at home?

Even if we rowed back on freedom of movement, allowing every man jack to come and work here, the disruption to that lifeblood is always a real possibility.

We've allowed ourselves to become dependent on external resources, and now we're paying the price.

Suck it up.

The world needs less people, especially young ones if we are to combat climate change.
You are more stupid than baggy and crusty combined.

Latest Threads