The Brexit Consequences Thread

It has taken them far too long but I get the sense that our govt are finally starting to understand the possibilities and freedoms of Brexit - Liz Truss has spectacularly led the way and others in the Govt now seem to be realising that we really can make decisions and deals on our own.
Yeah but its scary and they'll actually have to take responsibility!!

I’m hearing reports that HMG are not ruling out bailing out the energy firms, as the markets react to the surging wholesale gas prices.

Various sources.
And yet some reports say that HMG are content for market forces to dictate the market and are more concerned ensuring that customers are supported. Who to believe?

21% my gas price just went up last week. Doubt it's the last rise in the forseeable future either.

I’m hearing reports that HMG are not ruling out bailing out the energy firms, as the markets react to the surging wholesale gas prices.

Various sources.

I'm pretty sure that this is a worldwide problem resulting from a 'perfect storm' of events -

1. very large increase in worldwide demand due to covid recovery
2. Biden destroyed Americas energy self dependency and last month begged OPEC to increase its supply which they had throttled back due to a shortfall in demand and to keep their prices high - America now has to import at least a small part of its energy
3. reduced energy capture from solar/wind
4. reduction in yield from UK north sea Gas requiring us to import more

and those not earning above the threshold pay no NI at all, despite being credited for it, I'm not sure where you want to go with this, presumably anything at all earned over 100k goes to the exchequer to pay out to everyon else so we can all be on 100k irrespective of your contribution?
In your mind apparently.
It's not emotive bollock though is it... we keep getting told about the health inequality so the wealthy are far, far less likely to need the NHS and Social car that they're paying more for. A chunk of a$$hole pay nothing at all in but will still receive the care they need, predominantly paid for by the wealthier workers, don't forget that the increase is also to employers NI so more potential profit from a company removed. Also employes NI has no tail off so it's 13.5%, whatever you are paying the worker....
It certainly was emotive bollocks, about the great unwashed.
Amazon, audited finacial statements are publicly available, since they're a public limited company....

Sure...

yes, and none of them had any experience in that! - it will be a slow process whilst politicians and civil servants realise that Van der Layen no longer tells them what to do and think
Well lets be fair, they haven't had to do any other than consensus politics since 1974. Our CS now have two problems. How to control what we've just been taken out of in order to maintain the balance and to remember that they depend on whose been elected. It's a bit subtle but to admit that the CS actually controls Britain a la Yes PM wouldn't go down to well with the voters. It's a bit like doing the Tango as to who actually leads..

Arse_Bandit

War Hero
So we should lower Corporation tax, Oh and employers NI so we can become the Hong Kong of Europe then ;-)
I'm always amused at people waving the flag for multi nationals - as long as we stick to the agreed minimums not a problem.

It'll not solve our care funding mind and rather that raising funds to go to private companies I'd like to see more in the way of tax incentives for the public to have granny flats and similar - don't know how practical it is though.

Oh dear, we didn't vote for this.

And even the Guardian is seeing the so-called 'benefits' of Brexit now.

I remember the Op Yellowhammer report and all the hysterics over that, so how can this be?

3.jpg

Oh dear, we didn't vote for this.

And even the Guardian is seeing the so-called 'benefits' of Brexit now.

I remember the Op Yellowhammer report and all the hysterics over that, so how can this be?

View attachment 606283

Only the most stupid of stupid thought that mass uncontrolled immigration benefited uk workers pay and conditions - without people prepared to
Live 15 to a bedroom and live on a pittance then uk businesses are going to be forced to invest pay and training in their staff - something remainers didn’t want to happen because at the other end their soy latte and au pairs are going to cost more - I am prepared to
Pay more as long as it is uk workers being employed and off benefits

An old mate of mine, and he is old (sorry Rab!) has been offered £££ on a 3 month contract to drive HGVs. He's been asked about fuel tankers as well (he's done it in the past). Interesting.

Truxx

LE
I see the pressure is being piled up on the Tories to allow cheap EU immigrants into the UK again.

The Tories are still fighting for the working class:

View attachment 606373

Interesting.

That is actually a BBC distortion of the RHA 12 point plan.

I have no time whatsoever for the RHA but in fairness to them they are suggesting a whole raft of measures, only one of which is a temporary inclusion of driver on the list of key worker posts that might be open to workers from the EU. Their list is here

1. Include HGV drivers on Government’s Skilled Worker Shortage Occupation List
  2. Coronavirus recovery – a seasonal visa scheme for qualified HGV drivers
  3. Continued priority driving tests for HGV drivers
  4. Establish a ‘Return to HGV Driving’ scheme
  5. Better promotion of the job and the sector as a whole
  6. Apprenticeship funding gap for C+E drivers in England and Wales
  7. Apprenticeships for Class C drivers
  8. An SME-focused HGV driver training scheme
  9. An independent HGV independent training loan scheme
  10. Other training schemes – DWP pilots/Road to Logistics
  11. Increase productivity of the road network
  12. Improve site productivity and the treatment of drivers at collection and delivery points
Much of which makes sense. That the Beeb, and others, have gratuitously selected just one out of a dozen measures says much about our national broadcaster.

humble

Old-Salt
Only the most stupid of stupid thought that mass uncontrolled immigration benefited uk workers pay and conditions -Pay more as long as it is uk workers being employed and off benefits
Paying more will not increase the number of workers. The old-age-dependency ratio (the number of people of pensionable age for every 1,000 people of working age.)is forecast to rise from the current c.300 to 360 by 2043. The UK needs an injection of young people.

Latest Threads