The Brexit Consequences Thread

Dread

LE
Weren't the existing deals something we were told could never be replicated?

There were many remainiacs pontificating on TV before and after the referendum that it would take at least 10 years for the first one to drop through because no other country would want to do business with the UK once out of the EU.

Remember that even informal negotiations were banned by the EU (and PM Theresa May agreed to this), until the UK had formally left the EU. Hence all the traitors remainers crowing that the UK was doomed because when we left the EU on 31 Jan 2020, we had no trade deals signed, helpfully forgetting to mention that it would have breached EU law if the UK had negotiated, let alone signed, any such agreement prior to that date.

There were many remainiacs pontificating on TV before and after the referendum that it would take at least 10 years for the first one to drop through because no other country would want to do business with the UK once out of the EU.

Remember that even informal negotiations were banned by the EU (and PM Theresa May agreed to this), until the UK had formally left the EU. Hence all the traitors remainers crowing that the UK was doomed because when we left the EU on 31 Jan 2020, we had no trade deals signed, helpfully forgetting to mention that it would have breached EU law if the UK had negotiated, let alone signed, any such agreement prior to that date.
I remember that, we were going to be pariahs and no one would even want to look at us let alone negotiate a trade deal.

Didn’t they make similar claims after the todo about the NI protocol, when we were apparently going to break “international law”?

Say it ain't so, Joe

How can this be ?

Global interest in Britain’s best-paid jobs has soared in the wake of Brexit, as the UK’s new immigration rules attract talent from around the world.

Meanwhile

Meanwhile, EU migrants' interest in UK jobs has fallen - particularly among lower paid roles.

I wonder what the savings in '' In Work Benefits '' will be.

Looks like NZ is the next trade deal going to be announced - It is hoped the outline of a trade deal will be announced following the latest set of negotiations. - which will, alongside the Aus deal, pave the way for us to join the £9trillion free trade area Trans-Pacific Partnership.

It was only the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland who made that particular claim.
I think many people on this site and across social media made many similar claims.

Including the EU:

Not exactly. Canada and the UK were negotiating their interim trade deal before the UK formally left the EU. The ban on negotiating trade deals was gotten around by calling them "technical discussions" rather than "negotiations".

The real hold up on finalising the terms was that neither Canada nor the UK knew on what terms the UK would leave the EU. The degree to which the UK remained closely tied to the EU would affect the amount of freedom with which UK could offer terms to or accept terms from Canada. The result was the Canada-UK interim trade deal was mostly nailed down fairly readily, but then had to sit in limbo while waiting for the UK to determine what its future relationship with the EU would be. Once that was determined, the Canada-UK deal was finalised fairly readily, with any delays after that being a matter of fitting it into the respective legislative calendars.

The replacement for the interim deal is already in the works, with the intention of providing something more comprehensive. For Canada there is a consultation process in which the provinces (who have legislative authority in areas affected by this) are asked for input, as well as various industry and other groups being asked for their input. Formal negotiations with the UK on the replacement deal are scheduled to start in November.

With CPTPP negotiations by the UK going on in parallel with that, it's possible there may be some linkage in timing with that as well, since Canada is part of that as well.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Cat Lady Cadwalladr is now on her fifth set of Lawyers, in her courageous fight against the evil Russian shill* and BREXIT funder Aaron Banks:

Quite how you get through four different legal teams telling you "You're fvcked" without actually understanding that you are indeed fvcked, I have no idea. Still, at least the crowdfunding will pick up the tab. Or will it?

* Or not, depending on the strength of your relationship with reality and / or catnip.

Cat Lady Cadwalladr is now on her fifth set of Lawyers, in her courageous fight against the evil Russian shill* and BREXIT funder Aaron Banks:

Quite how you get through four different legal teams telling you "You're fvcked" without actually understanding that you are indeed fvcked, I have no idea. Still, at least the crowdfunding will pick up the tab. Or will it?

* Or not, depending on the strength of your relationship with reality and / or catnip.

I gave up following this nutters travels as she's clearly lost any plot long ago but WTF !!

I had been under the same illusion/delusion, as propagandised by those who treat the Berlaymont as an adoratory.
Not for long though ...
Still have to laugh at that word. The French word is Parley and it can't be German so it has to be some kind of committee word that means sod all- rather like the organisation that made it. I suppose we could call it the the Belayment.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Mwahahahahaha, etc.

Mwahahahahaha, etc.

VDL is applying spin to it of course. From the comments:
1624030461007.png

ETA - Just checked her Twitter account and it's not a fake.

Indeed - though there's been months of trumpeting on these pages about the multiple post-Brexit trade deals signed by the UK, conveniently ignoring the fact that, until now, little or none of it was anything other than reinstating what we had walked way from.

I seem to recall various intellectuals of the Remain world telling us it would take decades to get Trade agreements signed.........

What year is it and how long ago did we finally leave the EU after May's treachery?