The Brexit Consequences Thread

Probably old news by now , but just read on MSM news that Eurostar is in shit state and want UK to assist in keeping it running....except the UK gov sold off its stake to Eurostar in 2015, and has no stake in it , but the French gov (through SNCF) owns 55% of the company

Eurostar fury: Boris Johnson told to bail out company to avoid 'dire consequences' for U AstrozenK]​

Uk unions up in arms because 3000 jobs could be at risk....... French anger at us not helping them out, maybe they should take a closer look at themselves .... they and generally the EU as a whole,( but the French seem to be the most vociferous) have been absolute bastards with UK over such things as imports of shellfish for example tariffs in the Irish sea, etc. etc.

maybe now they are starting to understand what may be about to happen

This has been rumbling for some tine

January

Owners

SNCF owns 55%, 30% is owned by an institutional Canadian fund manager, Caisse de depot et placement du Quebec (CDPQ). 10% is owned by Britain-based fund Hermes Infrastructure, and 5% by the Belgian railway SNCB.

Time to tell the French '' Go f**k yourself ''

civvy

Old-Salt
**See the Nightingale hospitals - put in place as a just in case overwhelmed NHS insurance measure now criticized because they werent needed. Ignoring that they were built hoping not to be.

The people who criticize the Nightingale hospitals really annoy me. In extremis it was going to be patients in at one end and coffins out the other. By the enormous efforts of all concerned that didn't happen.

They probably moan that they have spent all that money on home insurance and their house hasn't burned down yet.

And the anti Brexit group are still going on about red busses. Years after it was booted out; there was even a court case about it. Luckily that (non) argument seems to be the best they have or they wouldn't keep bringing it up.

And breathe...

This has been rumbling for some tine

January

Owners

Time to tell the French '' Go f**k yourself ''
Shortly after the cri de cœur for billions to prop up Eurostar, the same company announced it was going to run a route to Spain - at a cost of about the same number of billions as they and the French Govt were asking the UK to cough up.
I believe there’s a swift answer to that which, in French abbreviation, would be VTFF!

On the Eurostar issue, I can only have a self indulgent snigger, that the French should be reduced to tit for tat on the very day the Chancellor Otto von Merkel publicised the fact that she had her first AZ shot. We have the French on the ropes- now for the love of mike- keep her there.

The people who criticize the Nightingale hospitals really annoy me. In extremis it was going to be patients in at one end and coffins out the other. By the enormous efforts of all concerned that didn't happen.

The government acted with commendable speed in preparing for a mass casualty pandemic. It seemed like it was following a pre-panned scheme as the items arrived suspiciously quickly. From speaking to those working at the local hospital, and others on here, most major cities got a port-a-cabin morgue delivered without asking for it, with space for a hundred or so casualties (Eg: Freezer draws, and all the refrigeration) as well as full PM facilities. I don't think that's the sort of thing you have just lying around spare either, especially not in the numbers to issue them out to big cities across the UK.
I've been told that the local RAF airbase was prepared for overflow morgue and nightingale conversion if needed. All this happened very early on.

Locally a council criss management team suddenly sprung up (outside of the big cities) with access to quite a bit of resources, including food stores to be distributed, and very quickly the management team got control of all the local charities and community groups and got them all pulling in the same direction.

It all has the whiff of contingency planning being enacted. That 99% of the stuff put in place wasn't needed was bloody good news. I suspect that lessons have been learned from pulling the pin on all these contingency plans, which up until now were just plans.

Arse_Bandit

Old-Salt
Un peu de light relief...
Can we have "le Weekend" back and "le picnic"

Also Dom Perignon was trying to get rid of the bubbles to stop losing 50% of the wine, thick glass fired in Newcastle with coal made "Champagne" possible, and was popular in London for many years before the fFrench claimed it as their own. It should be called "Champagne a style Anglais" ;-)

Or, as I have seen it in a sub-title -clearly computer translation - ‘Passez le babord’.
I think the other thing that amused me was a reversion to type, You English! In underlines the deep apathetic loathing that the French try too put a gloss on. It was Britain that left not England, just as it was Britain that signed up- not England.

The government acted with commendable speed in preparing for a mass casualty pandemic. It seemed like it was following a pre-panned scheme as the items arrived suspiciously quickly. From speaking to those working at the local hospital, and others on here, most major cities got a port-a-cabin morgue delivered without asking for it, with space for a hundred or so casualties (Eg: Freezer draws, and all the refrigeration) as well as full PM facilities. I don't think that's the sort of thing you have just lying around spare either, especially not in the numbers to issue them out to big cities across the UK.
I've been told that the local RAF airbase was prepared for overflow morgue and nightingale conversion if needed. All this happened very early on.

Locally a council criss management team suddenly sprung up (outside of the big cities) with access to quite a bit of resources, including food stores to be distributed, and very quickly the management team got control of all the local charities and community groups and got them all pulling in the same direction.

It all has the whiff of contingency planning being enacted. That 99% of the stuff put in place wasn't needed was bloody good news. I suspect that lessons have been learned from pulling the pin on all these contingency plans, which up until now were just plans.
Maybe it’s an unofficial Brit organisational thing? I don’t know if it was a made-up story but I once read that some Septics were reviewing the reaction to the Kenilworth air crash, and they wondered how all the rescuers got to the crash site and got organised so quickly.

Someone had to point out that the “rescuers” were actually the passing motorist and the speed and organisation was just something that happens naturally over here.

Latest Threads