Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

I seem to recall fFrench Francs being 10 to the pound just before Eurofication...

JB
ITL were over 2,700 to the GBP prior to the arrival of the Euro.
From the mid-60s to 1980, the Lira was about 1,600 - 1,700 to the pound, then leaped to over 2,000 in 80.
The point that people forget twenty years on, was that the doom mongers were the one’s who said we had to join the Euro or we were doomed. In actual fact if anything the pound remained the counterbalance that would under pin the EUro, not the DM as the latter was absorbed.
We would’ve been far worse off if the pound had to be reconstituted. I’ve been spending time recently joining the dots, that have been there since I can remember. It’s difficult for me to establish whether the pro European wing were ever much more than the self serving wing.
I’ve spent hours watching recordings from the past and what comes shining through is the contempt in which electorates are held.
yes we’ve been broke before, it’s always worse than the last time but strikes me as amazing that no one is trying to actually hold the Chinese to account.
worst bit about the Euro has to be everyone knew it had to be massively deflationary in the Med zone and so it has proved.

crow_bag

War Hero
So there has been no delivery of twigs, no holidays in Dunstable, no news of my mandatory clown service, and my car hasn’t be burnt out yet.

Aside from a curious shortage of black sacks the local shop seems to be well stocked, and I’ve not noticed any price increases.

I’m even getting a bonus at work, though due to covid is less than half what I got last year, but I wasn’t expecting to get anything, so it’s better than a slap in the face with a kipper caught in British waters.

When exactly are we going to be on our knees begging the EU to let us rejoin?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Are you the guy who hangs around Old College in a top hat and tails?

Not sure of his proper job title, Porter or something?

No, but I know him well. He's been there for 23 years and features in a stained glass window in the RC Chapel

So there has been no delivery of twigs, no holidays in Dunstable, no news of my mandatory clown service, and my car hasn’t be burnt out yet.

Aside from a curious shortage of black sacks the local shop seems to be well stocked, and I’ve not noticed any price increases.

I’m even getting a bonus at work, though due to covid is less than half what I got last year, but I wasn’t expecting to get anything, so it’s better than a slap in the face with a kipper caught in British waters.

When exactly are we going to be on our knees begging the EU to let us rejoin?
"Time will tell"

Are you the guy who hangs around Old College in a top hat and tails?

Not sure of his proper job title, Porter or something?
That would require some form of vetting. The reality is, he floats arount on his wifes coat tails turning up unannounced like a bad fart, joining conversations where people are too polite to tell the padres hubby to do one.

Together with 13 Danish Krone and €1.63 FFR in 2000 to the Pound.
We were all millionaires then doncha know? (We didn't know though)
We've never had it so good!!

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
That would require some form of vetting. The reality is, he floats arount on his wifes coat tails turning up unannounced like a bad fart, joining conversations where people are too polite to tell the padres hubby to do one.

You think my wife is a Padre?