Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
it wasn't a cheap holiday when we lived in NI and crossed the border or when I last visited the republic in 2014.

When my Mum pegged it, I inherited a house over there.
During the month me and the Frau were over there sorting things out and clearing up the estate, we considered upping sticks and moving over.
Realising we were spending €200 a week on shopping quickly dissuaded us of that idea.

DAS

War Hero
it wasn't a cheap holiday when we lived in NI and crossed the border or when I last visited the republic in 2014.
Strange but over the last decade or so on holidays over to the sunny "mainland" UK with the then small kids to see grand parents etc I always thought UK was expensive (mostly self catering type holidays). And I'm not in a poorly paid employment either.

Dr Alice Weidel, head of the AfD opposition party in Germany in a speech about Brexit.

In German but good subtitles.

Makes for fascinating listening for us and very sober facts for Germany.

A simple, logical speech from the leader of Germany’s growing ‘populist’ party made in the Bundestag. Not racist or xenophobic, includes several important points and shows that the EU point of view constantly portrayed on the BBC is not the only voice in town.

An old work colleague of mined went to his cousin's wedding in Dublin around that sort of time and told me that he was paying 7 Euros a bottle for Miller GD. It's probably 10 Euros a bottle now...

I think Last nights Euronews summed up the position and fits into either this, or the What now for Europe thread.
For the likes of BL it sums up his quandary about reforming the EU from the Inside because it quite simply cant be done; The issue now revolves around the rule of Law and the Hungarian removal of a radio broadcaster for breach of Hungarian Laws but it also applies equally to Poland. There is ways a little glitter of the form of old broadcasting where the questions really are even handed and it happened last night and it was Brutal.
The EU representative was asked how the EU would now respond to the failure of Hungary to comply with European Law and response had me falling about laughing on every point.
Rule of Law- whose Law- fail
Freedom of Movement- fail
ergo Lisbon treaty etc Fail
Foreign Policy -fail. The responses reminded me so much of the Wilson years the EU will respond, more Beer and sandwiches but actual ability to enforce- zilch. I've put this on here because I think that the responses from Italy, Greece, now Hungary and Poland and finally Brexit have nailed the beast. It was an experiment 40 years too late and with the cart placed before the horse and now the Horse is being asked to pull, rather than push. I think we have seen the consequences- close the thread.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think Last nights Euronews summed up the position and fits into either this, or the What now for Europe thread.
For the likes of BL it sums up his quandary about reforming the EU from the Inside because it quite simply cant be done; The issue now revolves around the rule of Law and the Hungarian removal of a radio broadcaster for breach of Hungarian Laws but it also applies equally to Poland. There is ways a little glitter of the form of old broadcasting where the questions really are even handed and it happened last night and it was Brutal.
The EU representative was asked how the EU would now respond to the failure of Hungary to comply with European Law and response had me falling about laughing on every point.
Rule of Law- whose Law- fail
Freedom of Movement- fail
ergo Lisbon treaty etc Fail
Foreign Policy -fail. The responses reminded me so much of the Wilson years the EU will respond, more Beer and sandwiches but actual ability to enforce- zilch. I've put this on here because I think that the responses from Italy, Greece, now Hungary and Poland and finally Brexit have nailed the beast. It was an experiment 40 years too late and with the cart placed before the horse and now the Horse is being asked to pull, rather than push. I think we have seen the consequences- close the thread.
I suppose that had one actually watched Euronews last night this post may have made more sense :rolleyes:

I suppose that had one actually watched Euronews last night this post may have made more sense :rolleyes:
Well I have tried to find the part of the 1900 Euronews for yesterday until about 25 minutes past to post but given my juvenile capability in these matters unable to do so. I agree that the section would be far more revealing but I do this from memory. I have tried Euronews themselves and Utube plus Google. The names of the participants was less than memorable.,

corby

Old-Salt
This might be a little optimistic. Brexit is done and already largely forgotten - his only legacy at present is likely to be the handling of COVID-19 under his administration. With the noble exception of the vaccination program, it has been - at best - unimpressive, and the country is now in the most almighty financial mess in living memory.

Where does the "greatest PM" bit come from?
You have your opinion which is your entitlement but to be honest, I think is bollox. In my opinion, BJ's handling of the pandemic has been a difficult one but he's made the best he could with differing advice from the experts who themselves tend to change their advice from time to time. The UK is not the only ones who are going to have to get their economy back but I think we're in a far better place thanks to Brexit than otherwise. I shudder to think about the situation we'd be in if the opposition had been running the show. The media have a lot to answer for but I think I'd be going over old ground to continue.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Oh dear, did you watch it? probably not and it's not saying much for their objectivity which I rate far higher than the BBC. I'm in the EU camp watching it being torn apart from within. Not very gracious. Oh and do be a good lad and stop being a name dropper. I doubt if they remember you.

I'll ask the next time I see him.

so-name-dropping.jpg

An old work colleague of mined went to his cousin's wedding in Dublin around that sort of time and told me that he was paying 7 Euros a bottle for Miller GD. It's probably 10 Euros a bottle now...
Excuse me, but 7 Euros for a bottle of Miller Genuine Draft?? People would actually pay that kind of money for what is essentially a man soda in Ireland?

DAS

War Hero
Excuse me, but 7 Euros for a bottle of Miller Genuine Draft?? People would actually pay that kind of money for what is essentially a man soda in Ireland?
No. Never have. Think it's to catch touristy types in Temple Bar or the like.

WightMivvi

War Hero
My old mucker, the King of Jordan, agrees.

Why are some of you so easily led?
Reminds me of the time my uncle moved into some little round park in the middle of DC (5 Observatory Circle). His immediate neighbour at the time was some chap called Dick Cheney. There always seemed to be some guys in dark suits hanging around the neighbourhood.

Last edited:

Ceser Romero

Old-Salt
When my Mum pegged it, I inherited a house over there.
During the month me and the Frau were over there sorting things out and clearing up the estate, we considered upping sticks and moving over.
Realising we were spending €200 a week on shopping quickly dissuaded us of that idea.
I thought you said your family had a golden rule since the 1800s to do well at school and leave the place and get a ferry out of the bog?

Yet you claim to be Irish?

Latest Threads