The Brexit Consequences Thread

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
I’ve got Visa, MasterCard and American Express credit cards (paid off in full each month). I use each card differently to avoid or reduce charges as appropriate.

Amex usually has better foreign exchange rates than the others, depending on which currency the purchase is in. Boycotting one card because of higher charges in a particular market is silly. Just use the most appropriate (cheapest) card for that purchase.

There are going to be occasions when MasterCard is going to be cheaper. Just not in the EU.

ETA: I tend to use credit cards rather than a debit card because of the purchase protection. Debit card is used for supermarket shopping and petrol.

I’ve got Visa, MasterCard and American Express credit cards (paid off in full each month). I use each card differently to avoid or reduce charges as appropriate.

Amex usually has better foreign exchange rates than the others, depending on which currency the purchase is in. Boycotting one card because of higher charges in a particular market is silly. Just use the most appropriate (cheapest) card for that purchase.

There are going to be occasions when MasterCard is going to be cheaper. Just not in the EU.

ETA: I tend to use credit cards rather than a debit card because of the purchase protection. Debit card is used for supermarket shopping and petrol.
I suspect most of us use Paypal when ordering online if it's available. Their resolution service has saved me a few times, even for stuff from China..

ColdWarWorrier

Old-Salt
I suspect most of us use Paypal when ordering online if it's available. Their resolution service has saved me a few times, even for stuff from China..

I’ve got my PayPal account linked to my Amex card. Any PayPal purchases appear on my Amex statement. I get protection from both.

Further, Europe has always been prehistoric regarding credit cards. West Germany right up to the mid 90's there were only a handful of shops in the country that would accept any UK credit cards that didn't bare the Eurocheque EC symbol. How do I know? Rellies came over with credit cards and I had to sub them for two weeks. Even the cashpoints said nein danke. The only thing they bought was a cuckoo clock from a shop in the Black Forest that would accept Visa.

Have you been to Rural Dorset? No plastic, no cash machines.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Strange because I find PayPal's business methods and response to problems absolutely offensive.

Strange because I find PayPal's business methods and response to problems absolutely offensive.
Twice now we have had issues with goods we received where we had used paypal and it wasn't via eBay. Both involved shite, poorly described goods from China. The most recent was for those adjustable specs that you see advertised on the internet, which I still have. You could use paypal when I bought them last year. I put up a case to PP with photos of the crap they sent which was nothing like the quality in the ads (yes I was suckered in). The sellers fought it coming up with all kinds of excuses and what I should do to rectify it. I was refunded fully by PP even though the seller was trying to get me to post them back before they would refund. PP is no longer available on those products so there must have been others complaining.
I think it falls over when you buy from individuals outside of ebay or the big sellers. Mrs Biff stupidly paid an individual seller using PP for a handbag as a present for a relative. Sold though one of the other on line sellers not covered by the PP/ebay promise. Turns out it was fake and the seller disappeared without trace. PP couldn't do anything about it as their guarantee doesn't stretch to chasing individuals.

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
Over the last twenty years British battlefield tour guides have had lots of work in Europe. Battlefield touring has grown with various anniversaries. British guides have worked with Australians, Canadians and Americans. Its particularly popular with ex forces types.

The latest seems to be that British tour managers can work legally with groups originating in the UK, but tour guides may only work legally where their qualifications are recognised by the nation where they want to work. I suspect no one is going to stop a British guide working for a tour starting in Britain, or a British battlefield historian accompanying a battlefield study. I suspect that US Canadian or Australian tour companies would hesitate to employ a tour guide working illegally as it might invalidate any insurance claims arising from the tour..

Last edited:
AS I haven't heard anything about the food shortage in Northern Ireland on the news lately , I take it tje Lancaster food bombers are getting through unfettered

Brexit consequence for me... I have just received the COVID vaccination, and the EU is still fannyarsing around trying to find their backsides with both hands... and failing miserably.

Voted for it, got it, and bloody pleased about it.

Brexit consequence for me... I have just received the COVID vaccination, and the EU is still fannyarsing around trying to find their backsides with both hands... and failing miserably.

My old man had his second dose of the Pfizer vaccine on 06/01 and my mother had her first dose of the Astra Zeneca vaccine on 29/01.

Ah but is it the right vaccine? Has the UK spent long enough testing it? These are very weighty questions which the EU has yet to answer satisfactorily. It's a heavy burden being in charge of all those MS you know.

Ah but is it the right vaccine? Has the UK spent long enough testing it? These are very weighty questions which the EU has yet to answer satisfactorily. It's a heavy burden being in charge of all those MS you know.

He He He

Which the EMA has yet to answer satisfactorily.

Which they are struggling to do because for some strange reason, too many staff did not want to relocate to Amsterdam.

Pesto has put out the whole story about the EU's incompetence. It seems that they were originally a month behind us, then the dead hand of bureaucracy took over and an extra two months were added whilst the EU 'big chiefs' got around the negotiating table. And negotiated nothing extra. Tic tic tic!!

Edited to add: Pesto is taking some heavy flak from the Remainiacs for daring to question the EUSSR!

Last edited:
My German former work colleague is getting a bit upset again today over this one...

Capture.PNG

EU citizens offered financial incentives to leave UK

Latest Threads