Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

it was much better than the contemporary BMW 5 series, so it had to die to protect Munich’s cash cow.
It’s the way the cow was protected That gets me. Not only were they competition but when BMW pulled the plug, their development costs for the 5 series were written off and loaded on Rover, if the scuttlebut is to be believed. Now that at a stroke made sure that Rover couldn’t survive and the story around the badge terms really rammed it home. According to another version I’ve seen almost half of the BMW fleet have utilised some Rover design concepts, which means that Clarkeson et al did a very efficient job For BMW. Not surprisingly they didn’t have to make their Land Rover copies as good as the originals.

And what did Labour do about this flagrant accounting manipulation? Would the French have tolerated it? And at a stroke we lose a volume manufacturer. How convenient.

It’s the way the cow was protected That gets me. Not only were they competition but when BMW pulled the plug, their development costs for the 5 series were written off and loaded on Rover, if the scuttlebut is to be believed. Now that at a stroke made sure that Rover couldn’t survive and the story around the badge terms really rammed it home. According to another version I’ve seen almost half of the BMW fleet have utilised some Rover design concepts, which means that Clarkeson et al did a very efficient job For BMW. Not surprisingly they didn’t have to make their Land Rover copies as good as the originals.

And what did Labour do about this flagrant accounting manipulation? Would the French have tolerated it? And at a stroke we lose a volume manufacturer. How convenient.

as it sneaked out the back door having looted and sabotaged Rover, BMW did something else.
It took with it the intellectual rights to a number of defunct premium British car makers, specifically Riley and Triumph, to ensure no competitors ever rose from the ashes.

British Leyland was a joke, but not technically or intellectually, it just couldn't make a car that would make it off the drive. Look under any BMW and the suspension was ripped off from the Triumph 2000 saloon so closely, a BMW diff is an easy retro swap on classic Triumph cars.

The saying in the industry of the BL-Honda tie up was - ‘The Japanese taught us how to make a car, we taught them how to design one’.

look at the siesmic change in the designs of the Honda brand after its infusion of British design flair. It went from a maker of clever but typically quirky japanrse cars, to a brand that could design and style cars to compete with the best of Germany

Rover didn’t die because it was crap, it was designing its own cars that were world class. It was killed because Rovers plans to expand and relaunch sporting saloons under the Triumph brand, and premium saloons under the Riley brand posed a existential threat to BMW.

Now that I'd never heard of. Mind you dad had a Riley RMA for a short period and then swapped it for a Wolsley 15/60 ( A55 or 60) I quite liked it.

The Riley RMs were fabulous cars in their day. The day when BMW was still building Austin 7 knocks offs. A premium saloon under the Riley marque would have real prestige.

South east of the Netherlands.

This is our first corona curfew night so nobody should be on the streets after 9pm. Works for me as at around 2am a group of us will be waiting in a field for the sound of a lone twotter flying over at which point we'll light up the landing strip. This is a new sort of SOE or the sausage operations exec activated after an appeal from Boris to set Europe sizzling. They'll be flying in finest full English breakfast goodies and ham sandwiches. The sandwiches will be distributed to various UK truckers at truck stops around the country. The twotter will be returning with a load of bratties, senf and yellow handbags. Who knows, in a few years there may be a new collection of photos on a wall in Knightsbridge, although the operators will probably look a lot older and not quite so fit as those of eighty years ago.

The dragon howls for custard after midnight. *Taps nose...*

The arts are not happy bunnies at the moment, I'll be honest I don't know what costs are involved for getting the VISA's sorted for them and their road crew though!

Fish lays into government over Brexit EU touring fiasco
I suppose it depends on who you believe?
In response, the government claims that “during our negotiations, we proposed measures to allow creative professionals to travel and perform in both the UK and EU, without needing work-permits. Unfortunately, the EU rejected these proposals”. EU sources retort that the offer had come from its side, and was rejected by the current UK government. So what’s going on, and what is the visa situation for touring musicians when there are no relevant provisions covering them in the post-Brexit trade agreement?

I’m sure they can afford it, how do they fund visas for all the tours they do that are outside of the EU?
I find it hilarious that music stars are complaining it will cost them more to fund their overseas concerts. The same 'stars' that don't pay any UK tax on their earnings.
IIRC U2 (registered for tax in the UK) do a fine job of not paying tax by channelling their earnings through the NL and Ireland. There was a documentary on it a while ago.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The Arts always make a song and dance about every fcuking thing.

This isn't a showstopper.

They're just climbing on the bandwagon, late, as per.
FOC

Ayatollah

Old-Salt
The potato famine in Ireland was in the 1840’s (?) not 1776, so I don’t see the relevance to the war of independence. Ditto, why would an independent US allow a foreign power to dump criminals on their territory up to the civil war? But you are also mistaken and it would be worth your while reading up on it:-
The actual stats are said to be 1/3 in favour, a 1/3 against and a 1/3 wanting to be left to get on with their lives. parts of the colonies were strongly or mildly “Tory” - New York springs to mind for some reason- this is widely known and is not controversial. Illuminate me, do you think that 100% of the 13 colonies population turned to revolution over a tea tax?

Edited to add: The Pilgrim fathers were not criminals and neither were many of those who sought a new life. But, since we would go on to transplant people to Botany Bay for stealing a silk hanky, or a loaf of bread; and since many people agreed to serve 7 years "involuntary servitude" in exchange for passage paid to the New World, then they might well have a grievance against the system which sent them there. But be wary about adapting 21st century morals to the 18th century.
I never said the potato famine was in 1776, I also never said or implied the Pilgrim Fathers were criminals. However, there was a lot of Criminals deported to America the same way as they were transported to Australia. The difference being Australia they were in Penal Colonies and America they fended for themselves.
And the majority of the fighting against the English was in Massachusetts, New York was literally undefended and was taken by Gen Howe after crossing the Delaware unhindered. I also never said anything about the war of independence although the timelines correspond with each other. You also bypass my comments about the American Indians of which I referred to in comparison to the Kidnappings of present-day and the reluctance to return to normality.
There is nothing wrong with my American History knowledge, however the same can't be said for you, but then your age is the ones who want to change history to your own advantages and enforce Political Correctness.

Penal transportation - Wikipedia​

Transportation to North America From the early 1600s until the American Revolution of 1776, the British colonies in North America received transported British criminals. ... The Transportation Act 1717 allowed courts to sentence convicts to seven years' transportation to America.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
I never said the potato famine was in 1776, I also never said or implied the Pilgrim Fathers were criminals. However, there was a lot of Criminals deported to America the same way as they were transported to Australia. The difference being Australia they were in Penal Colonies and America they fended for themselves.
And the majority of the fighting against the English was in Massachusetts, New York was literally undefended and was taken by Gen Howe after crossing the Delaware unhindered. I also never said anything about the war of independence although the timelines correspond with each other. You also bypass my comments about the American Indians of which I referred to in comparison to the Kidnappings of present-day and the reluctance to return to normality.
There is nothing wrong with my American History knowledge, however the same can't be said for you, but then your age is the ones who want to change history to your own advantages and enforce Political Correctness.

Penal transportation - Wikipedia

Transportation to North America From the early 1600s until the American Revolution of 1776, the British colonies in North America received transported British criminals. ... The Transportation Act 1717 allowed courts to sentence convicts to seven years' transportation to America.

You know, I can’t remember what points you had made or when; so my apologies it would take too long to go searching for them.
What I can say regarding where the fighting was is that the 17/21L were very proud of having once served under Banastre Tarlton in his operations in S Carolina, including the disastrous battle of Cowpens. I believe there’s a proud group of US re-enactors called something like “ Banastre’s Bastards” who wear the regimental motto. Bless ‘em.
Given New York fell after George Washington lost the battle of Long Island/ Brooklyn Heights , I wouldn’t describe New York as undefended; but that’s okay -where would we be if everyone agreed about everything.
Apologies again but I have no recollection that you had commented on American Indians. Perhaps I didn’t respond because I had nothing to add to what you had said?
Finally, my age? You flatter me greatly in assuming my age. Youthful vigour has long fled and PC is something I have never before been accused of. I mentioned on another thread earlier that I have been considering retirement this year.

Well that's a bit opportunistic.
Further, Europe has always been prehistoric regarding credit cards. West Germany right up to the mid 90's there were only a handful of shops in the country that would accept any UK credit cards that didn't bare the Eurocheque EC symbol. How do I know? Rellies came over with credit cards and I had to sub them for two weeks. Even the cashpoints said nein danke. The only thing they bought was a cuckoo clock from a shop in the Black Forest that would accept Visa.

Further, Europe has always been prehistoric regarding credit cards. West Germany right up to the mid 90's there were only a handful of shops in the country that would accept any UK credit cards that didn't bare the Eurocheque EC symbol. How do I know? Rellies came over with credit cards and I had to sub them for two weeks. The only thing they bought was a cuckoo clock from a shop in the Black Forest that would accept Visa.

Sounds eerily familiar, driving around the black forest to find the one atm that took a credit card...

And the cuckoo clock.

Latest Threads