The Brexit Consequences Thread

don’t tell the Americans it was the French Army and Navy that won the American war of Independence for them, not a bunch of ragged assed local yokels - they get very precious.
No they don't. They know all about it and accept it as having been a major helping hand. They actually study their own history in school: Shock horror!

Lafayette, the best known French commander during the war of independence has schools, streets, a class of nuclear ballistic missile submarines and even towns named after him. Where do you think the 82nd Airborne are stationed and the home of US SF might be? Yup; Fort Bragg, Lafayetteville, North Carolina.

You are talking rubbish!

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
No they don't. They know all about it and accept it as having been a major helping hand. They actually study their own history in school: Shock horror!

Lafayette, the best known French commander during the war of independence has schools, streets, a class of nuclear ballistic missile submarines and even towns named after him. Where do you think the 82nd Airborne are stationed and the home of US SF might be? Yup; Fort Bragg, Lafayetteville, North Carolina.

You are talking rubbish!

It's the same with John Gaspard Le Marchant. Born in France by a French mother. Lived in Guernsey. Father of 10 children.

Set up Sandhurst and died in the Battle of Salamanca in 1812 after destroying the left wing of Napoleon's Army in the Peninsular War.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Americans I worked with at Greenham Common were woefully ill informed about their own history. It led to some very heated debates.
Maybe the US education system has changed since those blokes went through it?

the average American rube is fully convinced the a war of Independence was fought by handful of brave Americans with American accents and 100% popular support against British invaders who were SS Stormtroopers in red coats.
there’s even a hugely popular fictional film, historical documentary, ‘The Patriot’ about it.

Yet another scathing attack by a staunch Europhile, John Lichfield is a former foreign editor of the Independent and was the newspaper’s Paris correspondent for 20 years.

Thankfully no paywall, just a few extracts:

“ the rotting fish on Scottish quaysides to the empty shelves at Marks and Spencer stores in Paris, Dublin and Prague, Britain has discovered what it means to wall yourself off from your nearest and most important market”.

As a result, British exporters are predicted to face €28 billion in losses this year alone as a result of reduced EU demand and increased frictions and barriers at the EU border.
&
”It’s hardly surprising, in hindsight, that the benefits of the EU’s single market set-up have been so misunderstood. Although the single market was largely a British creation — pushed in the late 1980s by Margaret Thatcher and conceived in detail by a British EU commissioner, Lord Arthur Cockfield — the British public was never really taught to understand what it was all about”.

Article:

Truxx

LE
Yet another scathing attack by a staunch Europhile, John Lichfield is a former foreign editor of the Independent and was the newspaper’s Paris correspondent for 20 years.

“ the rotting fish on Scottish quaysides to the empty shelves at Marks and Spencer stores in Paris, Dublin and Prague, Britain has discovered what it means to wall yourself off from your nearest and most important market”.

As a result, British exporters are predicted to face €28 billion in losses this year alone as a result of reduced EU demand and increased frictions and barriers at the EU border.
&
”It’s hardly surprising, in hindsight, that the benefits of the EU’s single market set-up have been so misunderstood. Although the single market was largely a British creation — pushed in the late 1980s by Margaret Thatcher and conceived in detail by a British EU commissioner, Lord Arthur Cockfield — the British public was never really taught to understand what it was all about”.

Article:
Butthurt.

Truxx

LE

&

Article:
"Airplane parts"

FFS

Aeroplane is what we British call them.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs

&

Article:

€28 billion?

That will make such a dent in the UK’s €2 Trillion+ economy

&

Article:
How are they able to predict those numbers? I mean you’d have to be pretty clever to predict those numbers with a global pandemic going on.

It’s like to projected losses of Brexit they pushed out. The calculation they used was as simple as 90% of GDP is domestic. 6% of GDP is linked to exports to rest of the world. 4% of gdp is linked to exports to the EU.

They simply pushed out the figure that a bite for Brexit will result in a 4% loss of GDP.

It's the same with John Gaspard Le Marchant. Born in France by a French mother. Lived in Guernsey. Father of 10 children.

Set up Sandhurst and died in the Battle of Salamanca in 1812 after destroying the left wing of Napoleon's Army in the Peninsular War.
And had a Barracks in Devizes names after him. My first posting from Sandhurst.

Le Marchant Barracks - Wikipedia

Factoid. Many of the PW were Black (NAZI) and after an escape attempt was discovered they were sent to the PW Barracks at Cultybraggan. I used to go there as an Army Cadet, Great days.

Edited to add, Well this I never knew

99th (Lanarkshire) Regiment of Foot - Wikipedia
The 99th (Lanarkshire) Regiment 1824-1881 :: The Wardrobe

le Marchant commanded a Jock regiment.

Last edited:
How are they able to predict those numbers? I mean you’d have to be pretty clever to predict those numbers with a global pandemic going on.

It’s like to projected losses of Brexit they pushed out. The calculation they used was as simple as 90% of GDP is domestic. 6% of GDP is linked to exports to rest of the world. 4% of gdp is linked to exports to the EU.

They simply pushed out the figure that a bite for Brexit will result in a 4% loss of GDP.
Exactly, the author is clearly a Brexit hater & forecasting during a pandemic is like pi$$ing in the wind.

Many of the MSM, pundits & bloggers but not all are simply seeking excuses for the UK to fail, unfortunately many I might add within our own shores.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
And had a Barracks in Devizes names after him. My first posting from Sandhurst.

Le Marchant Barracks - Wikipedia

Factoid. Many of the PW were Black (NAZI) and after an escape attempt was discovered they were sent to the PW Barracks at Cultybraggan. I used to go there as an Army Cadet, Great days.

Edited to add, Well this I never knew

99th (Lanarkshire) Regiment of Foot - Wikipedia
The 99th (Lanarkshire) Regiment 1824-1881 :: The Wardrobe

le Marchant commanded a Jock regiment.

Yes. He started with the Wiltshire Militia. That Commission cost £500. He then went Regular and ended up with the Royal Scots in Dublin, then Gibraltar. Eventually, having been given a free promotion or two by King George III, he went to the Cavalry and commanded a Brigade of Heavy Cavalry until his death at Salamanca. His son was his ADC and laid him to rest in an olive grove near the city.

By mere serendipity, his Cavalry Regt became the Queen's Bays where my father served in 1950 in Fallingbostel.

I was in Salamanca Coy at Sandbags in 1978. A bit spooky, really.

Last edited:
Exactly, the author is clearly a Brexit hater & forecasting during a pandemic is like pi$$ing in the wind.

Many of the MSM, pundits & bloggers but not all are simply seeking excuses for the UK to fail, unfortunately many I might add within our own shores.

I don’t doubt there will be problems. Nothing that can’t be overcome.

How avoidable those problems are will be up to interpretation and debate. How many of these problems were avoidable had those nefarious forces that tried to delay and stop it had not been at play?

How would the shop issue in NI, who everybody in NI I speak to tell me isn’t that bad, have worked out had Blair and Co not advised the EU to play up?

How would Scottish fish exporters have been impacted had the SNP actually done the preparation to succeed instead of engineering failure?

I don’t doubt there will be problems. Nothing that can’t be overcome.

How avoidable those problems are will be up to interpretation and debate. How many of these problems were avoidable had those nefarious forces that tried to delay and stop it had not been at play?

How would the shop issue in NI, who everybody in NI I speak to tell me isn’t that bad, have worked out had Blair and Co not advised the EU to play up?

How would Scottish fish exporters have been impacted had the SNP actually done the preparation to succeed instead of engineering failure?
I fully concur, business will adapt & overcome.

Yes. He started with the Wiltshire Militia. That Commission cost £500. He then went Regular and ended up with the Royal Scots in Dublin, then Gibraltar. Eventually, having been given a free promotion or two by King George III, he went to the Cavalry and commanded a Brigade of Heavy Cavalry until his death at Salamanca. His son was his ADC and laid him to rest in an olive grove near the city.

By mere serendipity, his Cavalry Regt became the Queen's Bays where my father served in 1950 in Fallingbostel.

I was in Salamanca Coy at Sandbags in 1978. A bit spooky, really.
Links within links

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Links within links

Indeed. The Brigadier at Sandbags lives at Le Marchant House. The end of the parade square known as Chaos Corner is actually Le Marchant Square and the Comdt's smartest conference room is also named after him. A visitor as a guest of honour went by the name of Macron.

I don't think that load of fibs is aimed as us, more likely the other countries watching to see how well we do

Americans I worked with at Greenham Common were woefully ill informed about their own history. It led to some very heated debates.
Maybe the US education system has changed since those blokes went through it?
Email from Wing Commander .
Report the the Yanks (NATO CAMP) you on on some organising committee PS your SJAR will look good
So like a good SNCO I arrive five minutes early, knock on the door and told to come in.
So I look around, half a dozen Yanks, Two Canadians and myself.
Sit down Sgt...
Before I do can you let me know what this is about?
Oh we want you as a Brit allie to help plan our 4th of July Celebrations.
So what is the 4th July stuff?
Its our independence day.
Oh OK and remind me who you gained independence from?
The British, oh the Brit...See you Sgt