Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

My big brother is pretty forthright about how there has been a complete watershed amongst his organisation (DHL) whereby staff have fallen into one of two categories; those up for the challenge and monstering it as a result and those who simply cannot handle change and are unwilling or unable to think things through from first principles.

A Big Issue last week was, apparently, whether the word "Pallet" or "stillage" should go on the export declaration. Cue the second category of folks having a meltdown. 24 hours later a massive zoom meeting had been called amongst the non-copers. Unresolved the issue landed on bro's desk (well his email inbox).

Anyone ask Customs he asked?

Error no....

Customs at Dover were called

Do you want us to put pallets or spillage on the form?

Don't a give a fcuk they said. You choose.

Etc etc etc.

40 years of complacency have brought us to this point, thank goodness there are still some who are comfy with getting a grip.

I think in some ways we are fortunate, the last 10 months have turned our business on its head several times and we've adjusted every time. Brexit is no drama for us but Coronavirus has been,
We traditionally supply a lot of education, airlines and rail companies. All of that is out of the window at the moment and we are doing completely different work.
We won't break any records this year on turnover but we'll come out the other side just fine. Not all our competitors will
Predicting what we are doing next week is difficult, next year prety much impossible

You are absolutely right though, Brexit and Coronavirus means you are either agile and keep up or you fall by the wayside. Again, I am lucky and we have a good team of lads and senior management who are in it for the long haul.
We ordered a million quids worth of vehicles last month (for this year) and are opening a new distribution hub down south next month. You either keep pushing forward or you fail.
The world now changes to rapidly to stand still and hope the world comes back to how it used to be.

You are also absolutely right that not everybody can or will recognise that the world isn't what it was a year ago (be it Brexit or Kung Flu)
We aren't going back to how it was. Some people need to wake up and smell the roses

Actingunpaid

Old-Salt
No, it's far worse than the Grauniad. Its from a ******* OPERA, and that's not a translation, it's a character name. I presume knowing that, combined with the ability to use computing equipment, makes me some effete elitist twat, despite having done some harder time and taken more rounds downrange in British uniform than I'll bet you have.

People who have different interests to us are to be distrusted!
Well whoopy-do,another kraut lover,glad you've recovered from all those rounds you took.We learned how to take cover in my day as we weren't bullet-proof.Are you related to that mad dingbat Lobster?

No BFPO mail since Xmas. Nothing like planning ahead. Waddaya mean, you didn't know until Xmas week what might be required? Jam tomorrow, apparently.:mad:

The latest update from BFPO London is as follows:

BFPO initially thought that delays to EU services were all EU Transition related, but they now know that a mixture of COVID-19 issues and increased network frictions due to the new Worldwide Import Duty Regulations are causing issues across various EU main mail supply networks.

BFPO are not the only service provider who are experiencing delays and it is possible that these issues will work themselves through in the coming weeks. BFPO are looking at a short-term resolution by using a direct DHL service.

Some UK mail companies are reporting that new mail import/export regulations are having an effect; DPD reporting last week that 20% of parcels they moved to EU locations were now in the process of being returned to sending Countries as they were not compliant with the new regulations.

My God, the world is collapsing and it due to Brexit...

Trampoline prices 'to soar 50% on shipping costs'

How will we cope?

Seriously, we are now in mid-January, and if the only thing they can find wrong are trampolines, a few bits of fish, and the odd incompetent haulage companies who can't fill out a few bits of paperwork properly, surely these "journalists" need to find something else to report on.

WightMivvi

War Hero
Seriously, we are now in mid-January, and if the only thing they can find wrong are trampolines, a few bits of fish, and the odd incompetent haulage companies who can't fill out a few bits of paperwork properly, surely these "journalists" need to find something else to report on.
You’re forgetting about the obsessive mindset of the political obsessives: just because there’s no evidence doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened.

Look at Carole Codswallop; award wining investigative journalist who, when finding no evidence of foul play by Leavers, decided to publish (and subsequently defend) articles claiming foul play, partly in the belief that reality would change to match her prejudices and hatreds.

Ditto various Trumpettes and “election fraud”.

These people are desperate because they can’t comprehend how they could have been so wrong.

Last edited:
Tariffs seems to be the latest word that they are fixated on when it actually transpires to me that both Royal Mail and La Poste have increased prices (as they do every January).
As have some courier/haulage companies.
Last year it was called an annual price rise, this year it is a Brexit-related tariff.

No BFPO mail since Xmas. Nothing like planning ahead. Waddaya mean, you didn't know until Xmas week what might be required? Jam tomorrow, apparently.:mad:

The latest update from BFPO London is as follows:

BFPO initially thought that delays to EU services were all EU Transition related, but they now know that a mixture of COVID-19 issues and increased network frictions due to the new Worldwide Import Duty Regulations are causing issues across various EU main mail supply networks.

BFPO are not the only service provider who are experiencing delays and it is possible that these issues will work themselves through in the coming weeks. BFPO are looking at a short-term resolution by using a direct DHL service.

Some UK mail companies are reporting that new mail import/export regulations are having an effect; DPD reporting last week that 20% of parcels they moved to EU locations were now in the process of being returned to sending Countries as they were not compliant with the new regulations.
Your fabricated tears of rage fill my brexiteer heart with joy, you pant wetting halfwit.
A link to your bilge would have been nice but since I had to go looking myself, I found this: BFPO - Current Delays to Postal Service

The only jam to be had is nestled in your rag, it would seem.

You’re forgetting about the obsessive mindset of the political obsessives: just because there’s no evidence doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened.

Look at Carole Codswallop; award wining investigative journalist who, when finding no evidence of foul play by Leavers, decided to publish (and subsequently defend) articles claiming foul play, partly in the belief that reality would change to match her prejudices and hatreds.

These people are desperate because they can’t comprehend how they could have been so wrong.
The nutters do tend to be running around the wide eyed web, searching for any old snippet that might, finally, prove them right, only to shiit their pants when it turns out to be unfounded. Still, there's always that blerk on Twatter.

See the lefties currency scratching their heads at why the UK population is still broadly supportive of Boris's handling of the COVID pandemic.

WightMivvi

War Hero
See the lefties currency scratching their heads at why the UK population is still broadly supportive of Boris's handling of the COVID pandemic.
I’ll include my sister in that group. She recently posted an old Momentum article negatively comparing Boris’s “leadership” with that of the NZ PM.

So I asked her what leadership skills she’d like to see from Boris, and then showed how Boris had displayed the skills she said she wanted from a PM.

Long story short, in the end her argument wasn’t about “leadership”, it was about hating Boris, hating Brexit, and a belief that possessing certain genitals (the internal plumbing sort) makes a person naturally superior and would automatically result in a better PM.

I just replied with, “Theresa May”. ;)

and a belief that possessing certain genitals (the internal plumbing sort) makes a person naturally superior and would automatically result in a better PM.

I just replied with, “Theresa May”. ;)
You missed a trick there

You could have agreed with her or better yet said im glad you agree Maggie T was the best PM

Nb Its best to stand a few feet back and be prepared to block your ears the mùeltdown can be a bit shrill

My God, the world is collapsing and it due to Brexit...

Trampoline prices 'to soar 50% on shipping costs'

How will we cope?

I wouldn't worry, we'll bounce back.

Your fabricated tears of rage fill my brexiteer heart with joy, you pant wetting halfwit.
A link to your bilge would have been nice but since I had to go looking myself, I found this: BFPO - Current Delays to Postal Service

The only jam to be had is nestled in your rag, it would seem.

The never-served, no-mark civvy who hangs around on a mil-focused web forum shows his concern for service personnel and their families. Tosser.

Never having served in the armed forces, ...

Last edited:
I posted a parcel just before Christmas, costing me the princely sum of £8, which was delivered early in the New Year.

Trouble was they delivered it back to me, presumably having mixed up the addresses of sender and recipient on the company return slip I stuck on the front.

The old biddy in the Post office was very apologetic, and took it back into her care for resending.

Bloody BREXIT grrrr.

The never-served, no-mark civvy who hangs around on a mil-focused web forum shows his concern for service personnel and their families. Tosser.
That's right, sparky.
Feel free to keep mashing the buttons. Your kitten like rage is amusing.
You clearly put as much effort into the research of the links you post, as you do research into arrsers banter.

Latest Threads