Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

Oyibo

LE
That's going to 'incentivise' the desire to trade with the UK!

'Hauliers waiting for their paperwork to clear during Brexit custom checks face a £50 ($68) an hour fine.

'Truckers have been told that from 1 February, after the first two hours of waiting at the nine sites for the green light, they will be charged £50.

'The move is to minimise disruption at the ports, as hauliers wait for their paperwork to clear at special “inland border facilities.”

'Since 1 January, the new Brexit system and sheer volumes of the paperwork is said to have caused confusion and delays at borders.

'Meanwhile, truckers have said they are experiencing waits often far longer than two hours, and have said they already face extra charges.'

Shame you missed out this bit:

But HMRC defended the planned charges, saying they would not be levied if checks take over two hours, but hauliers have raised questions on how this would be enforced.

“If hauliers remain onsite without a legitimate need then charges will be applicable in line with arrangements currently operated at ports,” a HMRC spokesman said.

In other words, if hauliers have their paperwork in order, no fine. If they have no paperwork or it reads like a Higgs Bosun post, and they clog up the roads they get fined.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I haven't looked at it in any details at all but as I understand it the problem is particularly affecting Scots fishermen because the SNP has purposely not bothered themselves to get export procedures in place properly
Nope....If you've read my posts over the years you'll know I'm no fan of the SNP.

I would find it a little difficult to believe that the SNP are so desperate to prove Brexit a disaster that they will screw over one of their own industries had they not had the audacity to anonce that an increased ability to take more fish was bad for Scottish fishermen
It's a red herring....
From the haulage aspect of it (not my sphere tbh, I have nothing to do with export) I am reliably informed that the issue is with individual business's and the Scottish government failing to prepare.
Will not wash...

Lorry drivers spend days waiting to get paperwork to leave UK

This is why hauliers are refusing to take fish
There is no reasonable excuse for either and the government has been pushing hauliers to get their paperwork systems in place for a very long time now
Indeed...what if they have they got told it's wrong...when it isn't?

From my link:

On Wednesday, Johnson said exporters “will be compensated” for the millions in losses from delays for exporters for fish and shellfish, while U.K. Environment Secretary George Eustice faced questions from MPs Thursday about what that might involve.

You reckon they're paying because the SNP fecked up?
It will settle over the next few weeks but from everything I have read and been sent info on, its a failure to prepare at the Scottish end, not Westminster.
Got any links for that?

Fisheries in Scotland is a devolved matter and has been since 1882. I can see the SNP deliberately trying to screw over Scots fishermen because the coastal communities are well aware that rejoining the EU would mean signing up to the CFP again.
Again, any links to SNP responsibility for this fiasco?

Shame you missed out this bit:

In other words, if hauliers have their paperwork in order, no fine. If they have no paperwork or it reads like a Higgs Bosun post, and they clog up the roads they get fined.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

all sounds just like most international borders.

Truxx

LE
Which leaves the simple question of whether the Scottish Government has deliberately not prepared or if it is down to ineptitude.
Neither option is good, but I can't see how it could be down to one or the other of the above
Good question.

I took a quick look just now at the business "Get Ready for Brexit" guidance on the Gov website, and it makes no distinction, the guidance and "brexit checker" tool do not distinguish between english scottis welsh or whatever (although obvs Irish (including NI) does get a separate check box.

So I am unsure where scotgov come into it, if at all.

Although they did manage this press release on the 18th December, which is very light on the efforts made prior to that date:

Scottish Government is ready to act.

The Scottish Government is accelerating work plans to help Scotland cope, as much as possible, if the ‘tragedy’ of a no deal Brexit takes place, Constitutional Relations Secretary Michael Russell has said.

In a statement to Parliament, Mr Russell urged the UK Government to immediately rule out ‘no deal’ and made clear that, while the Scottish Government would do everything it could, there would still be severe damage to the Scottish economy and society.

Mr Russell also confirmed to MSPs that the Scottish Government Resilience Committee (SGoRR) has been mobilised, convened by Deputy First Minister John Swinney, to consider the level of immediate response required.

Planning is ongoing to deal with:
• Severe disruption of goods at UK borders due to new customs arrangements in a ‘no deal’ scenario
• Food security and the ability of Scottish food and drink producers to export their goods to the EU
• The supply of medicines, medical devices and workforce for health and social care

The Cabinet Secretary stressed the importance of the UK Government sharing planning assumptions and detailed modelling around a ‘no deal’ exit, to enable the necessary Scottish preparations to take place. This is particularly critical for medicines which may be subject to supply problems as work on stockpiling of medical devices and clinical consumables is ongoing.

Mr Russell said:

“A ‘no deal’ Brexit is not yet inevitable – indeed, neither is leaving the EU at all – and I once again urge the Prime Minister to rule out a ‘no deal’.

“But as a responsible Government we cannot wait any longer. The consequences and risks are too pressing and too severe.

“The Scottish Government is ready to operate Brexit arrangements at very short notice but will continue to build preparedness and resilience.

“Under the leadership of the Deputy First Minister the SGoRR mechanism is now in operation providing a single clear, coordinating structure.

“But let me say that whilst this Government will do everything we can to prepare, we must not let anyone believe we can do everything.

“The nebulous approach of the UK Government to decision making on Brexit has meant that it is impossible to know when these plans might need to go into effect.

“What a tragedy it is that we must take action for a ‘no deal’ exit as a result of the UK Government, to mitigate against the severe impacts on Scotland and the irreparable damage to our economy, our people and our society.

“These challenges are not of our making. But being able to measure up to them is something that we can, and must, do.”

Background

SGoRR meetings, which commenced on 4 December have included Cabinet Secretaries for Health, Justice, Transport and Finance as well as Scottish Government officials, other organisations such as Transport Scotland, Food Standards Scotland and Marine Scotland, COSLA, civil contingencies responders and Police Scotland.

This structure is supported by a ‘rapid response’ group of officials which will grow as need requires. In the event of a ‘no deal’ this structure will be the central coordinating and controlling body and will be in permanent session.

Last edited:
the only fish they spent it on is the greater glory of Sturgeon
Talking of fishy characters innocent wee Ekk is very quiet , considering he`s innocent you would think the SNP would be constantly singing his praises .....er what who said the trial was fixed ?

No, they have the BBC instead.

You daft remainer kids need to make your mind up. Either our fishing industry is insignificant or the world has stopped turning. You are one step away from the commentary of the arrse hammer.
You do have a habit for choosing the most hysterical headlined news you can get your little hands on like the stories written by Suban Abdulla, that famous Yahoo news reporter.
Like the argument to remain.....weak on facts, high on emotion for the diet of the gullible.

I like to do a scratch and sniff with the shite that you post:

Here's the same emotional article from 2 days earlier.
No losses, the £50k load was delayed, she was just 'worried'. A far different story involving the the strange 'Minister' in the link you posted, who turns out to be some Labour crackpot on the Welsh county Council.
No mention of the date when this £50k load of seafood tried to get through to Spain though....just this:

"But because of issues at the border the consignment was stuck in Portsmouth for 24 hours.
After boarding a ferry to Caen, it was then held by French customs for another seven. Ms Edwards said that the importer in France had made a mistake on the document that he needed to complete.
"I can't do this again next week," she told BBC Wales. "I need a break."

Quite why the BBC chose to run the article again I don't know...

Still, you just keep posting links where the hysterical, breathless title fits your hysterical, breathless head......we can't wait.

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
You daft remainer kids need to make your mind up. Either our fishing industry is insignificant or the world has stopped turning. You are one step away from the commentary of the arrse hammer.
You do have a habit for choosing the most hysterical headlined news you can get your little hands on like the stories written by Suban Abdulla, that famous Yahoo news reporter.
Like the argument to remain.....weak on facts, high on emotion for the diet of the gullible.
Typical BBC fare then.

I always said that they were being used by people who would throw them under the bus at the first opportunity. It's still totally shit though.

Yourself?

Unless we have somehow gone back in time to 1881, then which party is in government in Scotland and is responsible for the devolved matter of fisheries?
Not what was asked is it? They're not responsible for Dover are they?

I have just realised why there might be some angst about the supply chains

Not enough doctor doctors involved.
A lot of fibber fibbers though, who always have a mate who says everything is great.....but can never link to it.

3 minutes well spent

Minister Liz Truss slaps down the complaints of the SNP's Stewart Hosie over Brexit, asking where Nicola Sturgeon has spent the £200 million she was granted to prepare for Brexit.

Dover isn't the issue.
It is, see my links
Correct paperwork is.
From above.

From my link:

On Wednesday, Johnson said exporters “will be compensated” for the millions in losses from delays for exporters for fish and shellfish, while U.K. Environment Secretary George Eustice faced questions from MPs Thursday about what that might involve.

You reckon they're paying because the SNP fecked up?
Do you reckon they're paying compensation because the SNP, or fishermen, fecked up?
Got any links for that?
Got any links?

3 minutes well spent

Minister Liz Truss slaps down the complaints of the SNP's Stewart Hosie over Brexit, asking where Nicola Sturgeon has spent the £200 million she was granted to prepare for Brexit.

For those whose attention wanders, I've no time for the SNP or wee Jimmy Kranky but...the above is feck all to do with fish not being exported.

Latest Threads