Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

Are Scots sisheries experienceing different problems to English and Welsh ones?
Not that I'm aware of, apart from being responsible for about 60% of UK quota and the cuts they'll experience will feed grievance. The posters on here were laughing at NI "beacause."

Last edited:
No doubt they’ll be singing songs and writing tales about the Brexiter negotiation team of 2020.
They’ll be naming lorry parks after them in Kent and posting pictures of them on portaloos.

Two weeks in and it’s all going so well.

It's going a lot better in Kent than it is in Dublin and other ports of the 26 counties according to a bloke called Aidan Flynn.
He doesn't seem happy at all.

(Another bloke who thinks that proof-reading his letters is a waste of time too)

Not that I'm aware of, apart from being responsible for about 60% of UK quota and the cuts they'll experience will feed grievance. The posters on here were laughing at NI "beacause."

I haven't looked at it in any details at all but as I understand it the problem is particularly affecting Scots fishermen because the SNP has purposely not bothered themselves to get export procedures in place properly

I would find it a little difficult to believe that the SNP are so desperate to prove Brexit a disaster that they will screw over one of their own industries had they not had the audacity to anonce that an increased ability to take more fish was bad for Scottish fishermen

From the haulage aspect of it (not my sphere tbh, I have nothing to do with export) I am reliably informed that the issue is with individual business's and the Scottish government failing to prepare.
There is no reasonable excuse for either and the government has been pushing hauliers to get their paperwork systems in place for a very long time now

It will settle over the next few weeks but from everything I have read and been sent info on, its a failure to prepare at the Scottish end, not Westminster.

Last edited:
I haven't looked at it in any details at all but as I understand it the problem is particularly affecting Scots fishermen because the SNP has purposely not bothered themselves to get export procedures in place properly

I would find it a little difficult to believe that the SNP are so desperate to prove Brexit a disaster that they will screw over one of their own industries had they not had the audacity to anonce that an increased ability to take more fish was bad for Scottish fishermen

From the haulage aspect of it (not my spehere tbh, I have nothing to do with export) I am reliably informed that the issue is with individual business's and the Scottish government failing to prepare.
There is no reasonable excuse for either and the overnment has been pushing hauliers to get their paperwork systems in place for a very long time now

It will settle over the next few weeks but from everything I have read and been sent info on, its a failure to prepare at the Scottish end, not Westminster.

Fisheries in Scotland is a devolved matter and has been since 1882. I can see the SNP deliberately trying to screw over Scots fishermen because the coastal communities are well aware that rejoining the EU would mean signing up to the CFP again.

Fisheries in Scotland is a devolved matter and has been since 1882. I can see the SNP deliberately trying to screw over Scots fishermen because the coastal communities are well aware that rejoining the EU would mean signing up to the CFP again.

Yes thats the understanding I have of it, if it is correct then we aren't we hearing more about it in the Scottish press?

Truxx

LE

From the haulage aspect of it (not my spehere tbh, I have nothing to do with export) I am reliably informed that the issue is with individual business's and the Scottish government failing to prepare.
There is no reasonable excuse for either and the overnment has been pushing hauliers to get their paperwork systems in place for a very long time now

Nail

McHeed

Are Scots sisheries experienceing different problems to English and Welsh ones?
The English and Welsh fishing fleets don’t have the SNP sitting on the side lines doing nothing about it trying to make political capital from it.

Last edited:
Which leaves the simple question of whether the Scottish Government has deliberately not prepared or if it is down to ineptitude.
Neither option is good, but I can't see how it could be down to one or the other of the above

There’s more trade reporting articles more recently about the SNP not really doing anything.

Although, as has been pointed out before, it’s not like there’s bigger problems going on at the moment, with only one subset of a U.K. wide fishing fleet seeing temporarily short export issues where the issue may or may not be politically motivated to cause disruption, or a reduction in demand because restaurants in France and Spain aren’t allowed to open at the moment.

It’s almost like some people, in the absence of the impeding doom they were predicting that never materialised are looking for evidence to back up their failed hypothesis.

Theoretically though, this should see a reduction in prove in the shops for fish which I’m all for.

Dread

LE
Come on then Mr Broken-Brain: exactly what "cuts" are Scottish fishermen going to experience?

Because having read the UK-EU treaty, it is clear that each EU coastal nation is going to experience a 9,8% cut in their catch (averaged across all nations and catches) over the next 5 years: nearly all that 'slack' will be taken up by British fishing boats as demand for British seafood far outstrips supply.

In case you're looking for a EU friendly link to back up your drivel, even the Irish think you're spouting shite (as usual): gov.ie - Preliminary Analysis of Reduction of Fisheries Quota Shares under EU/UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement (www.gov.ie)

Come on then Mr Broken-Brain: exactly what "cuts" are Scottish fishermen going to experience?

Because having read the UK-EU treaty, it is clear that each EU coastal nation is going to experience a 9,8% cut in their catch (averaged across all nations and catches) over the next 5 years: nearly all that 'slack' will be taken up by British fishing boats as demand for British seafood far outstrips supply.

In case you're looking for a EU friendly link to back up your drivel, even the Irish think you're spouting shite (as usual): gov.ie - Preliminary Analysis of Reduction of Fisheries Quota Shares under EU/UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement (www.gov.ie)
An interesting read.

It’s almost like to potential to export has gone up, but nobody seems to know what the £200 million the SNP was given to prepare for Brexit has been spent on.

An interesting read.

It’s almost like to potential to export has gone up, but nobody seems to know what the £200 million the SNP was given to prepare for Brexit has been spent on.

I don't think that they spent it on fisheries; another trap has been laid for Sturgeon. Like all demagogues, she really isn't all that bright.

That's going to 'incentivise' the desire to trade with the UK!

'Hauliers waiting for their paperwork to clear during Brexit custom checks face a £50 ($68) an hour fine.

'Truckers have been told that from 1 February, after the first two hours of waiting at the nine sites for the green light, they will be charged £50.

'The move is to minimise disruption at the ports, as hauliers wait for their paperwork to clear at special “inland border facilities.”

'Since 1 January, the new Brexit system and sheer volumes of the paperwork is said to have caused confusion and delays at borders.

'Meanwhile, truckers have said they are experiencing waits often far longer than two hours, and have said they already face extra charges.'

'The Road Haulage Association (RHA) said that drivers already queue for up to eight hours in the Waterbrook Park estate while waiting for approval for border paperwork. The park is being used for customs checks until March, when the massive 1,700-capacity Kent lorry park will then take over operations.

'A spokesperson said: 'Trucks are sat there for hours at a time and not able to pass go. It's no surprise to us. The systems they're using are untested.

'They've had no time whatsoever to get used to a raft of new processes. It's a perfect storm of the worrying delays that were going to happen. The worry is that the capacity and volumes are below usual and it's quieter than usual.'

Last edited:

Latest Threads