Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

WightMivvi

Old-Salt
the U.K. has been emergency approval, the EU is hoping to grand full.

the U.K. is taking a major risk.... hopefully it pays off
I suspect it’s quite a clever move. The UK and EU medical agencies use the same standards. They are getting the same data, they will be following the same procedures. That means outcomes should be similar.

However...

If the EMA finds something serious enough to stop the vaccine, then the UK will have only exposed a relative small number of people, meaning minimal harm.

If the EMA finds nothing serious enough to stop the vaccine and authorise it’s use, then the UK can do the same, whilst being 3 to 4 weeks ahead in the vaccination program.

A major risk? Seriously?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Jealousy will not help your plight!

Anyone else remember the hysterics earlier in the year when Boris refused to join the EU’s covid response? Apparently he was prioritising Brexit over saving lives.

It looks like, with the EU’s refusal to allow emergency vaccine use, the EU27 are prioritising keeping the Commission happy rather then save lives.

Using the principles set by many of the “Boris grrr” types earlier in the year, can we accuse the Irish government of now killing the weak and vulnerable?
RoI, Grrrrr?!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

And of course, the first economy back in the market will steal the lion's share of the silver.

Yesterday I heard on the radio, so it must have happened on Thursday, Angela Merkel explaining to the world how to go about fair distribution of the vaccine(s) in order to guarantee an equitable outcome. She's a good laugh when she's had a few is our Angie.

Humperdoo

Old-Salt
Hasn’t been approved

his claim was “The second reason is because until earlier this year we were in the European Medicines Agency, the EMA. Because of Brexit we’ve been able to make a decision to do this based on the UK regulator, a world class regulator, and not go at the pace of the Europeans who are moving a little bit more slowly”

he states that because of Brexit they could get it approved quicker.... any EU27 Can do the same if they wish as allowed under the same EU legislation that the U.K. used

the EU is waiting until full data is available
The UK is the first European nation to approve it, this is a company decision to allocate Belgium as the European manufacturer of the vaccine. That includes the EU and OTHER European nations within that market.

Last edited:

Humperdoo

Old-Salt
it Hasn't any, that's why.
I'm talking about the EU nations in general in which the EU is representing and conducting the negotiation on their behalf. I believe the EU being supranational has supremacy over national parliaments in several areas such as the ECJ. While you may be technically right, does this give the EU a level of autonomy and power as a soverign entity?

I'm talking about the EU nations in general in which the EU is representing and conducting the negotiation on their behalf. I believe the EU being supranational has supremacy over national parliaments in several areas such as the ECJ. While you may be technically right, does this give the EU a level of autonomy and power as a soverign entity?
No. The EU does not have power of a sovereign entity, certainly not one recognised by the UN.
As you say, MS have devolved certain of their sovereign powers to the EU, but they are still all, individually, UN members.

That is perhaps the most pitiful post yet to appear in this thread.

Dry your eyes - railing against the UK isn’t going to speed up the EU’s approval of vaccines, it isn’t going to change brexit and it isn’t going to change the fact that Varadkar has dug you a hole so deep that JCB want to hire him as a technical adviser.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Yep, they've become the 5th largest contributor and are about to lose tax haven status.
Must be a really strange feeling for the S Irish, instead of sucking from the tit, they are the tit!

Absolutely no idea what you are trying to get at there.
Unless you are saying they've only just introduced those rules because of Brexit? Because that's loose stool water of the finest kind.
Nope missed. The point I was making is that the EU may make these rules, the MS can sign up to them, but the MS still have the last word in the terms of residency as the EU has not taken passports and those issues away from them. The fact that the EU says it controls immigration does not mean it does. They should have become the only entity in Europe to issue passports etc. They didn't!!! end of

Vast majority of freight in and out of NI is via Dublin.
Well that sort of depends what it's doing in Eire. I mean it could be foodstuffs or I/OPR. In the latter case the chances are that by the time the processes are carried out it's claimed as Irish. Now if you are implying that somehow the Irish want to shoot themselves in the foot by not carrying out those processes- Fishguard may just become busier. Of course in the foodstuffs dodge, one party buys from another, those goods then become Irish not British other than coo issues- I gather you understand the distinction. Once we've flogged them to you- it's off our hands. So actually NI loses very little in these transactions. Ireland will still trade with NI, we know they will, it's immutable because Ireland depends on it.
Now there's a little conundrum for you. If the UK and the EU both have climate change commitments that means farming takes a different route I suspect Ireland could be harder hit than the North, Cattle,Sheep, Dairy production all reduces. Now that means you are far more dependent on what you can get by financial services- and er, you're in the Eurozone and that means competing with Frankfurt, Luxembourg and right now the EU don't really like you.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
So, we should just capitulate and give the EU everything it wants? I was under the impression deals are supposed to be reciprocal, otherwise what is the point?
What are we capitulating?
On fishing we don’t eat what we catch, we sell that. Where we catch what we eat is in someone else’s wet bit.
Deals will be reciprocal, that’s what Johnson is going to tell us on Monday. And he’s going to tell us it’s great deal.

Truxx

LE
Hasn’t been approved

his claim was “The second reason is because until earlier this year we were in the European Medicines Agency, the EMA. Because of Brexit we’ve been able to make a decision to do this based on the UK regulator, a world class regulator, and not go at the pace of the Europeans who are moving a little bit more slowly”

he states that because of Brexit they could get it approved quicker.... any EU27 Can do the same if they wish as allowed under the same EU legislation that the U.K. used

the EU is waiting until full data is available
Just for clarity then you agree that not being hidebound by the EMA has allowed quicker certification?

Only your posts make no sense otherwise

If you get a spare minute sometime have a look at the Irish press.
its gone from big boys mate ( who is sticking it to the English), to playing the old poor old Ireland being shafted by the stupid English again, line.
Its a good job they never lost the victim gene. ( Though they did export a lot of them to Liverpool.) I suspect we are going to be seeing lots more spite from the emerald bog in the next year or so.
Never mind eh.

Latest Threads