Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

Why so long in France? The Netherlands say they will start before the end of this year as it will be 29th December when the EMA gives approval.
Italy in January (but doesn't say exactly when).
Germany says they will receive the vaccines in mid December and hope to start them before the end of the year.
Portugal Update also states the same date as Spain.

Yet the only articles for France all state from April. Is there another layer of red tape they have to go through there?
How do you know the EMA will sanction at the end of the year? :D

WightMivvi

Old-Salt
Why so long in France? The Netherlands say they will start before the end of this year as it will be 29th December when the EMA gives approval.
Germany says they will receive the vaccines in mid December and hope to start them before the end of the year.

Yet the only articles for France all state from April. Is there another layer of red tape they have to go through there?
The French announcement is about the general population.

In the UK, whilst the vaccination will probably start next week, the general population are at the bottom of the list so will probably have a similar timescale as the general population in France.

As much as I enjoy putting a negative spin on EU related stuff, I suspect our timeline won’t be much different.
Although I have no basis for my view, I can’t see us having that general release happening until March at the earliest. Therefore the French timescale looks realistic and not an unnecessary delay.

It seems to me to be the old supply and demand sketch kicking in, there are only so many bums on so many seats in so many laboratory/factory production lines.
No doubt whatsoever in my mind that an accord has been reached among civilised and western nations (G20 not EU arranged) as to the timescale involved in the purchase, distribution and release of the vaccines from whatever pharma so that no one country sneaks in/ gets an economic advantage.
Otherwise it would be outright mayhem on the open purchasing markets resembling something out of The Wolf of Wall Street.
Not that any of us on here will ever know.

(The political classes across the world will, of course, be one ahead of the coffin dodgers in care homes queue, democracy must be maintained)

And another beauty of this little plan of the EU's is that instead of servicing the vaccine requirements of a trickle of countries steadily growing as time goes by... there will be 27 countries all demanding vaccines in once go.

Splendid.

What could go wrong?

Dick. The EU is buying them but the countries are responsible for the receipt and distribution. Unless you think the 340 million doses are going to end up on a desk in Brussels and be issued out like the QM stores.
Mind you, you probably do.

If only some idiot could post a Twatter that has no relevance whatsoever on the matter under discussion. Well done, belters.
If only someone was too stupid to read relevant links and then comment. Off to that shop window with you. Again

WightMivvi

Old-Salt
George Perez explains here:
However, as others have already posted, whilst we’ve been constrained by EU rules (we’re still in transition) Brexit has set us apart from the other 27 states, giving us the ability to move faster and unilaterally.

The EU27 decided to proceed at the speed if the slowest state, meaning avoidable deaths in the states that could have gone faster.

The cost of unity is avoidable deaths in some EU27 countries.

Dick. The EU is buying them but the countries are responsible for the receipt and distribution. Unless you think the 340 million doses are going to end up on a desk in Brussels and be issued out like the QM stores.
Mind you, you probably do.
You're very aggressive tonight.
That usually only happens when having your arrse served.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
However, as others have already posted, whilst we’ve been constrained by EU rules (we’re still in transition) Brexit has set us apart from the other 27 states, giving us the ability to move faster and unilaterally.

The EU27 decided to proceed at the speed if the slowest state, meaning avoidable deaths in the states that could have gone faster.

No. It's really easy for you to find out for yourself, you know.

And another beauty of this little plan of the EU's is that instead of servicing the vaccine requirements of a trickle of countries steadily growing as time goes by... there will be 27 countries all demanding vaccines in once go.

Splendid.

What could go wrong?

I’m sure the EU party apparachiks and nomenklatura will vote themselves priority receivers.

I woukd bet good money France will argue it should be first in the ‘it’s our EU train set’ queue

Or, alternatively, the EU wanted more tests to prove the vaccine before jumping the gun? Like seeing the effects on over 55s which the UK forgot to do?

Whichever.

First of all, the French don't fcuk about with EU regs when it affects French people, that is the absolute brutal truth.
As anyone can see throughout the history of the EU so far.

So to answer your question no, they are prioritising it into phases as to vulnerability.
Saying that the pharmacies are a bit of a closed shop over here, in some places more of a mafia really.
It would be interesting to see the release dates and categories of people getting the vaccine first in Spain, Germany and Holland.
I would be very surprised if it was a general release across all ages across the board.
There are also still several of my elderly neighbours waiting for their annual flu jab, same in Denmark I am told by family there.
Not enough ordered apparently, but entirely forgivable this year.

(Unless you are Boris obviously)

WightMivvi

Old-Salt
Or, alternatively, the EU wanted more tests to prove the vaccine before jumping the gun? Like seeing the effects on over 55s which the UK forgot to do?

Whichever.
Ah, so the German manufacturer of the approved vaccine hasn’t tested it on the over 55s? Can you provide a link?

Nope. They will all be full of Bentley spare parts.
Th
As much as I enjoy putting a negative spin on EU related stuff, I suspect our timeline won’t be much different.

If you look at the UK’s demographics and our vaccination priorities, there’s probably about 20m people who need vaccination before the general population (under 50) get it.

Although I have no basis for my view, I can’t see us having that general release happening until March at the earliest. Therefore the French timescale looks realistic and not an unnecessary delay.
In England the Royal Voluntary Service and NHS Volunteer Responders have just been invited (got email this afternoon) to assist in giving the vaccine. You can choose to be:
  • Volunteer Vaccinator - Under the supervision of healthcare professionals, Volunteer Vaccinators will be trained to deliver a vaccination to a patient. They will also be ready to act if a patient has an adverse reaction.
  • Vaccination Care Volunteer - This role will support patients all the way through, from arrival to discharge. They will help patients get to the right place to receive their vaccination and provide first aid if anyone has a medical emergency.
  • Volunteer Patient Advocate - This role will concentrate entirely on the welfare of patients, potentially looking after people and small groups all the way through the vaccination centres. If anyone has a medical emergency, a Volunteer Patient Advocate will be able to recognise it and get help quickly.
These roles are managed by St John Ambulance and can be done alongside your existing role as an NHS Volunteer Responder. A further role as a venue steward will be available to NHS Volunteer Responders soon.

My understanding is Frontline medical and care staff first, then over 75's, then over 65's + vulnerable/at risk, then over 50's and working the way down. Its also my understanding that there is a very 'robust' plan to start this off as quickly as possible and plough through as many people as possible in the shortest time possible.

Latest Threads