Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

My old man received his call-up papers on Christmas Island watching H-bombs explode. He's now 81, but sadly I don't think that he'll get much beyond his 82nd birthday.
I hope he does!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

WightMivvi

War Hero
Oh Dearie me,what a storm of comments.However long ago I did have to deal with National Service bods despite being female & young at the time so I have had worse. I did not take up Spanish nationality,& that despite the fact that they gave me far better opportunities in their country & also my daughter married a Spaniard & I have a nice son-in-law & Spanish National grandchild,but I took it seriously when I swore allegiance to the British Crown on joining the Forces.I do not know if the new card states"EU",probably does,but I haven´t got it yet so can´t say.As for "rights of residency" that´s exactly what we all believed until we"permanent" holders were told,sorry but that is only valid until 31st.December & we can´t tell you for how long you can continue with it.I have applied for my new one but,Oh Dear,no appointments though as the British Embassy are waiting for an update from Bonkers Boris who is telling you about the sunlit uplands etc. just around the corner.But it is good to know that you are all able to tell me from the UK just what I obviously haven´t a clue on in the place I live.
It’s always interesting to hear how life is elsewhere. I can’t help with practical advice, but I do have a question about the “Bonkers Boris” bit.

I’m probably getting the wrong end of the stick, but are you really suggesting the Spanish authorities are waiting for Boris to tell the UK embassy to do something before the Spanish authorities make a decision on who is allowed to live in Spain?

Surely it is a Spanish decision over who lives in Spain and what documentation is required to support their claim? Boris action (or inaction) should have no influence on internal Spanish decisions.

There are some very clever chaps in the Infantry. My son is collecting 35 of the sods at first parade tomorrow.

And there are some absolute mouth-breathers too. But given the job that they are meant to do, we don't necessarily want Brain of Britain. That is taking nothing away from them either, but the very clever ones are, in my experience, few and far between. That also goes for some of the officers.

Very true in some of the infantry battalions. Less so in the more technical parts of the Army.
It was a tongue-in-cheek comment and playing to the usual stereotypes.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
And there are some absolute mouth-breathers too. But given the job that they are meant to do, we don't necessarily want Brain of Britain. That is taking nothing away from them either, but the very clever ones are, in my experience, few and far between. That also goes for some of the officers.

It's the job to identify the naturally bright and train them up.

It’s always interesting to hear how life is elsewhere. I can’t help with practical advice, but I do have a question about the “Bonkers Boris” bit.

I’m probably getting the wrong end of the stick, but are you really suggesting the Spanish authorities are waiting for Boris to tell the UK embassy to do something before the Spanish authorities make a decision on who is allowed to live in Spain?

Surely it is a Spanish decision over who lives in Spain and what documentation is required to support their claim? Boris action (or inaction) should have no influence on internal Spanish decisions.

She's been given good old "the bloke up the pub says" information.
She is a permanent resident in Spain as she has had residency for longer than 5 years. It's the EU that states anyone (regardless of being in the EU or not) retains the right to live in the country under the same rules as a Spanish citizen. Up until 5 years ,the residency is temporary but after 5 years, under EU rules, it becomes permanent.

The Withdrawal Agreement, in her case and anyone who has live in an EU country for over 5 years, doesn't even come into it. And even under the 5 year bit you have to leave the country for a complete year before you lose it.

It's the EU equivalent of settled status in UK for EU citizens.

Ah, the Lib-Dumbs, who offered a political home to all Remainers and the millions of Leavers who had changed their minds. The one main UK political party who unequivocally backed overturning Brexit.

They effectively sunk without trace.
It’s a crying shame too. Titsalina Swinson was going to be our next prime minister and everything.

Yes. I do believe the UK will thrive outside the EU. Even the Remain campaign agreed that the UK economy would still grow outside of the EU. The Remain campaign also agreed that wages would probably be higher if we are outside of the EU.

I also believe leaving the EU increases the chances of foreigners being more accepted in the UK, as they will be able to prove they bring the skills, qualifications, money and work ethic we need.

Politically, I also think it will be a good thing as it reduced the grey areas between national and EU competencies that politicians can hide in. They will either have to deliver or sling their hook.

None of this will happen immediately, but we’ve started.

As for your disgraceful treatment by the continentals, well, I suppose it just shows that they never really respected you and have reverted to xenophobia.
Total agree with you.
I think we will have a rough time for about 2-3 years. During that time poor businesses will fall by the wayside, good ones will thrive and new ones will will take advantage of the new system.
Once we get used to trading on WTO terms, it will be upwards all the way.

Total agree with you.
I think we will have a rough time for about 2-3 years. During that time poor businesses will fall by the wayside, good ones will thrive and new ones will will take advantage of the new system.
Once we get used to trading on WTO terms, it will be upwards all the way.

The ancillary service economy, especially hospitality, is dying on it's arrse. No comfort to those have already lost and will lose their jobs, but better that it is done quickly.

Latest Threads