Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

Oh Dearie me,what a storm of comments.However long ago I did have to deal with National Service bods despite being female & young at the time so I have had worse. I did not take up Spanish nationality,& that despite the fact that they gave me far better opportunities in their country & also my daughter married a Spaniard & I have a nice son-in-law & Spanish National grandchild,but I took it seriously when I swore allegiance to the British Crown on joining the Forces.I do not know if the new card states"EU",probably does,but I haven´t got it yet so can´t say.As for "rights of residency" that´s exactly what we all believed until we"permanent" holders were told,sorry but that is only valid until 31st.December & we can´t tell you for how long you can continue with it.I have applied for my new one but,Oh Dear,no appointments though as the British Embassy are waiting for an update from Bonkers Boris who is telling you about the sunlit uplands etc. just around the corner.But it is good to know that you are all able to tell me from the UK just what I obviously haven´t a clue on in the place I live.
And yet @exbleep doesn't seem to have any problem living there.

Oh Dearie me,what a storm of comments.However long ago I did have to deal with National Service bods despite being female & young at the time so I have had worse. I did not take up Spanish nationality,& that despite the fact that they gave me far better opportunities in their country & also my daughter married a Spaniard & I have a nice son-in-law & Spanish National grandchild,but I took it seriously when I swore allegiance to the British Crown on joining the Forces.I do not know if the new card states"EU",probably does,but I haven´t got it yet so can´t say.As for "rights of residency" that´s exactly what we all believed until we"permanent" holders were told,sorry but that is only valid until 31st.December & we can´t tell you for how long you can continue with it.I have applied for my new one but,Oh Dear,no appointments though as the British Embassy are waiting for an update from Bonkers Boris who is telling you about the sunlit uplands etc. just around the corner.But it is good to know that you are all able to tell me from the UK just what I obviously haven´t a clue on in the place I live.

You were dealing with National Service bods?

Just how old are you?

I call horseshit.

Why does a site principally aimed at the British Army attract so many whiny ex RAF?
Do you ex' Brylcreem Boys' like to think you can lord it over the thick squaddies you were indoctrinated to believe you were better than?
Bizarre.

ETA: You pro Brexit Ex RAF chaps are welcome, BTW.....we lubs ya.

Can I just point out to @aliceband aka SugarTits, that you are a UK expat resident in Spain.

Immigrant, dear boy, immigrant.

You are, once again, talking a load of rubbish.
There are a couple of pieces of advice. One was a letter from the British Embassy in Madrid to all British residents in Spain. The other a general letter from the Moncloa Palace (that's the Spanish equivalent of Number 10 Downing Street where the PM lives and they have the cabinet meetings.).

Firstly, you do not need to change your green residency card at all. It will remain a valid document proving your residency in Spain and the new ID card (no, it won't say you are a EU national because you won't be) is just something that gives you a card with which you can prove your identity. So if someone told you it is only valid until 31st December then you are being told a load of codswallop.

The bit from Moncloa
It is not mandatory to apply for the new residence document, but it is important to remember that you must have a registration certificate (or family card of a Union citizen, in the case of family members) that documents your situation.

The registration certificates and residence cards for family members of EU citizens will therefore certify their legal residence in Spain in the future, allowing them to benefit from the provisions of the Withdrawal Agreement. However, obtaining this residence document, which complies with a model established at a European level and which expressly mentions the holder's status as beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement, is very useful, as it is a physical card that includes biometric elements that will allow many administrative procedures to be carried out, including crossing foreign borders within the European Union.

The only other advantage of getting the TIE (foreigners' ID card) is that you can use it instead of a passport. The old green registro card you have is still absolutely valid except that you'd have to use a passport to go to another country.
There is absolutely no need to take out Spanish nationality as residency is what counts and you will still be a resident with all the rights after 1st January 2021 even with just the green registration card.

Now the bit from the British Embassy in Madrid:

The UK Transition Period ends on 31 December 2021 and the Withdrawal Agreement protects your right to continue to live, work and study in Spain as a UK national as you do now.

You do need to make sure you are correctly registered (either with the green registration card or the new TIE)., Your healthcare will remain exactly as it is now but you will retain the right to obtain care in any EU country or the UK with the new EHIC card. You should ensure you have exchanged your UK driving licence for a Spanish one (same as someone with a Spanish one in UK).
The only "right" you will give up is the right to vote in the European elections. You will still be able to vote in local council elections but, as only citizens can vote in the national general elections, you won't be giving that up as you couldn't before.

It doesn't even have to rely on the Withdrawal Agreement as the EU rules state that anyone, even if from a country outside the EU, who has had residency for 5 years or more become permanent residents which can't be removed unless they leave the country for a continuous period of 2 years.

Now, I've only lived here for 12 years but I do seem a bit more clued up than you after your 35 years.
Stop posting misinformed rubbish. You remind of the person on another chat site that says he's "been told" that he can't keep his UK mobile phone to get residency but needs a Spanish one. Misinformed bollox and there is tons on the web that tells you this.

She's properly fvcked:

ladybird-books-its fucked mate.gif

Hey, @aliceband !

Here's a present for you:

It's a bunch of newline characters - feel free to cut and paste them into any further replies, to create what we call paragraphs.

She's properly fvcked:

View attachment 524811
The battery is longer than the engine...

Reminds me of the time I bonnet and booted a Morris 1000 not long after 9/11. In modern cars you can drop a nut and it wont reach the floor, in the Morris' engine bay you could probably drop a chair and it would get through.

If you are so concerned about what British people living in Britain wanted for the future of Great Britain why did you turn your back on the country and spend 35 years living in a foreign one? If you had spent all that time living here you may have had a valid opinion but to be honest it's worth shit. You've had 4 years since the referendum to get all your shit in one sock. The fact that you haven't is down to your lack of planning. Or did you, like so many others, think the result of the referendum was going to be overturned because you didn't get your way? I think you'll find you won't receive a great deal of sympathy in these hallowed pages.

Besides, it's a bit pointless coming on here moaning about a decision that was made 4 years ago and after Brexit has already happened.

Why does a site principally aimed at the British Army attract so many whiny ex RAF?
Do you ex' Brylcreem Boys' like to think you can lord it over the thick squaddies you were indoctrinated to believe you were better than?
Bizarre.

ETA: You pro Brexit Ex RAF chaps are welcome, BTW.....we lubs ya.
To be fair, most squaddies have an IQ lower than the sandbags they sit on.

The last NS bods left in 1963. The OP would have been at least 18, so born in 1945 at the latest and at least 75 now. Possible but unlikely.
My aged P would've been one of the last NS bods had he not deferred it to undertake his engineering apprenticeship (it was binned whilst he was completing it). He was 82 last week!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Immigrant, dear boy, immigrant.

You are, once again, talking a load of rubbish.
There are a couple of pieces of advice. One was a letter from the British Embassy in Madrid to all British residents in Spain. The other a general letter from the Moncloa Palace (that's the Spanish equivalent of Number 10 Downing Street where the PM lives and they have the cabinet meetings.).

Firstly, you do not need to change your green residency card at all. It will remain a valid document proving your residency in Spain and the new ID card (no, it won't say you are a EU national because you won't be) is just something that gives you a card with which you can prove your identity. So if someone told you it is only valid until 31st December then you are being told a load of codswallop.

The bit from Moncloa
It is not mandatory to apply for the new residence document, but it is important to remember that you must have a registration certificate (or family card of a Union citizen, in the case of family members) that documents your situation.

The registration certificates and residence cards for family members of EU citizens will therefore certify their legal residence in Spain in the future, allowing them to benefit from the provisions of the Withdrawal Agreement. However, obtaining this residence document, which complies with a model established at a European level and which expressly mentions the holder's status as beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement, is very useful, as it is a physical card that includes biometric elements that will allow many administrative procedures to be carried out, including crossing foreign borders within the European Union.

The only other advantage of getting the TIE (foreigners' ID card) is that you can use it instead of a passport. The old green registro card you have is still absolutely valid except that you'd have to use a passport to go to another country.
There is absolutely no need to take out Spanish nationality as residency is what counts and you will still be a resident with all the rights after 1st January 2021 even with just the green registration card.

Now the bit from the British Embassy in Madrid:

The UK Transition Period ends on 31 December 2021 and the Withdrawal Agreement protects your right to continue to live, work and study in Spain as a UK national as you do now.

You do need to make sure you are correctly registered (either with the green registration card or the new TIE)., Your healthcare will remain exactly as it is now but you will retain the right to obtain care in any EU country or the UK with the new EHIC card. You should ensure you have exchanged your UK driving licence for a Spanish one (same as someone with a Spanish one in UK).
The only "right" you will give up is the right to vote in the European elections. You will still be able to vote in local council elections but, as only citizens can vote in the national general elections, you won't be giving that up as you couldn't before.

It doesn't even have to rely on the Withdrawal Agreement as the EU rules state that anyone, even if from a country outside the EU, who has had residency for 5 years or more become permanent residents which can't be removed unless they leave the country for a continuous period of 2 years.

Now, I've only lived here for 12 years but I do seem a bit more clued up than you after your 35 years.
Stop posting misinformed rubbish. You remind of the person on another chat site that says he's "been told" that he can't keep his UK mobile phone to get residency but needs a Spanish one. Misinformed bollox and there is tons on the web that tells you this.

Away with you and your facts / experience, they have no place on this thread!!

My aged P would've been one of the last NS bods had he not deferred it to undertake his apprenticeship (it was binned whilst he was competing it). He was 82 last week!!

My old man received his call-up papers on Christmas Island watching H-bombs explode. He's now 81, but sadly I don't think that he'll get much beyond his 82nd birthday.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Very true in some of the infantry battalions. Less so in the more technical parts of the Army.

There are some very clever chaps in the Infantry. My son is collecting 35 of the sods at first parade tomorrow.

Latest Threads