Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

WightMivvi

Old-Salt
Nope, never saw that. I did see people marching in protest and all sorts but, unless you give context and links it's so much rhetoric.
Challenge accepted...

A petition calling for the UK to stay in the EU, which has amassed more than six million signatures, has been debated in Parliament.

We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum.
This petition is closedThis petition ran for 6 months

4,150,262 signatures

Given your lack of awareness of the subject, should you really be offering an opinion? ;)

Challenge accepted...

A petition calling for the UK to stay in the EU, which has amassed more than six million signatures, has been debated in Parliament.

We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum.
This petition is closedThis petition ran for 6 months

4,150,262 signatures

Given your lack of awareness of the subject, should you really be offering an opinion? ;)
A petition is the sum of it? A petition "doesn't replace our normal democratic processes" as the linked article makes clear. They're a pressure valve for the hard of thinking.

Remember when they were screaming about Arron Banks being funded by the Russians and the MSM getting behind top Investigative Journalist cat lady, Carole Cadwalladr of Gruniad and Observer fame:

Who'd a thunk it.
ETA:
There's a reason we call them 'belters'.

Last Word Guy disliked this post.

I have just joined,not sure if this is the correct forum to be on as an ex-WRAF.But I am currently in Spain,had a business here & retired & stayed.But after 35 years have thrown in the towel & relocating back to Scotland shortly.Like thousands of ex-pats.living in an EU country we have had to take the brunt of the Brexit debacle despite being deprived of a vote in the referendum.We were assured that "nothing would change" as we had a permanent recidencia(ID card).Hollow laugh,every week it seems some new regulation means a shift in our status.For sometime we have been aware that the Continentals regard us as untrustworthy at best .I live in a small town of mostly Scandinavian with also Dutch & German Nationals who are polite to our face but the general feeling is "good riddance".The latest ourcry with us Brits.is the closure of Bank accounts held in UK where many have their pensions rather than converting it into euros at the ever changing currency rate,& this week the cancellation of our Health cards.We will need to apply for a new one despite mine which states it is valid for several more years.Also that"permanent" ID has to be changed to one that states we are"from a non-EU member country".In fact rather like stateless persons since we shall have no-one to fight our case if we have a grievance.That is apart from the British Embassy or Consulate,another hollow laugh from me.Ask that poor lady stuck in Iran because of big mouth Boris.I know I am an old cynic but do people in UK really believe that the (dis)United Kingdom will flourish after leaving the EU?

Thank you for your service.

And for spontaneously creating an account to whine specifically about Brexit.

You're four years too late, mind.

WightMivvi

Old-Salt
What ever did happen to the Liberal Democrats (who?)?
Ah, the Lib-Dumbs, who offered a political home to all Remainers and the millions of Leavers who had changed their minds. The one main UK political party who unequivocally backed overturning Brexit.

They effectively sunk without trace.

Ah, the Lib-Dumbs, who offered a political home to all Remainers and the millions of Leavers who had changed their minds. The one main UK political party who unequivocally backed overturning Brexit.

Exactly my point. They campaigned on a stance of Rejoining, no if, no buts, just immediate repealing of Art50. The Tories, however, progressed on the stance of We'll get it done ASAP.

Result: 7.4% of the vote, and 12 seats, with the party leader losing her seat.

Which kind of shoots down all the carefully arranged polls that say we now want to rejoin that appear in the press.

Exactly my point. They campaigned on a stance of Rejoining, no if, no buts, just immediate repealing of Art50. The Tories, however, progressed on the stance of We'll get it done ASAP.

Result: 7.4% of the vote, and 12 seats, with the party leader losing her seat.

Which kind of shoots down all the carefully arranged polls that say we now want to rejoin that appear in the press.
Yes, but we didn't know what we were voting for, and we're fat, Northern and it was too complicated for us to understand.
The same thing happened in 1975 when we were given a vote AFTER the government of the day had already signed us up three years earlier. Although I wasn't old enough to vote.
I had to wait 40 years of being told that me and people of a like mind were thick, swivel eyed, fat and uneducated.

WightMivvi

Old-Salt
Yes, but we didn't know what we were voting for, and we're fat, Northern and it was too complicated for us to understand.
The same thing happened in 1975 when we were given a vote AFTER the government of the day had already signed us up three years earlier. Although I wasn't old enough to vote.
I had to wait 40 years of being told that me and people of a like mind were thick, swivel eyed, fat and uneducated.
Hey. I don’t have swivel eyes.

In my family, the thicker we are, the more successful we seem to have become.

My two degree-holding siblings voted Remain and both have struggled with poor career choices and debts throughout their adult life.

The other two of us have had stable and successful careers, working our way up to middle management, and have few debts (I have none). I “retired” aged 50.

We may be thick, but we seem to understand how the world works.

Their fortunes were doomed the moment that BL declared that he would vote for them.

Their fortunes were doomed the moment that BL declared that he would vote for them.
He probably didn't understand what they were saying, so he just grinned, gurned and agreed.

Are you admitting remainders are dense?

I wonder what these two remain types are thinking now...

Return in ten years? Get a grip.
Ahhh....@needy-guy posting a video he's never posted before to ask a straw man question he's never asked before about people who I CGAF about.

When all you had to do was look in the mirror.

Do you have links to anyone from the Remain side saying this? I can show a link to and article edited and published by someone we know which slagging off some Northerners mind. It'll be oun PM.

Bigley's fate | The Spectator

Oh Dearie me,what a storm of comments.However long ago I did have to deal with National Service bods despite being female & young at the time so I have had worse. I did not take up Spanish nationality,& that despite the fact that they gave me far better opportunities in their country & also my daughter married a Spaniard & I have a nice son-in-law & Spanish National grandchild,but I took it seriously when I swore allegiance to the British Crown on joining the Forces.I do not know if the new card states"EU",probably does,but I haven´t got it yet so can´t say.As for "rights of residency" that´s exactly what we all believed until we"permanent" holders were told,sorry but that is only valid until 31st.December & we can´t tell you for how long you can continue with it.I have applied for my new one but,Oh Dear,no appointments though as the British Embassy are waiting for an update from Bonkers Boris who is telling you about the sunlit uplands etc. just around the corner.But it is good to know that you are all able to tell me from the UK just what I obviously haven´t a clue on in the place I live.

Oh Dearie me,what a storm of comments.However long ago I did have to deal with National Service bods despite being female & young at the time so I have had worse. I did not take up Spanish nationality,& that despite the fact that they gave me far better opportunities in their country & also my daughter married a Spaniard & I have a nice son-in-law & Spanish National grandchild,but I took it seriously when I swore allegiance to the British Crown on joining the Forces.I do not know if the new card states"EU",probably does,but I haven´t got it yet so can´t say.As for "rights of residency" that´s exactly what we all believed until we"permanent" holders were told,sorry but that is only valid until 31st.December & we can´t tell you for how long you can continue with it.I have applied for my new one but,Oh Dear,no appointments though as the British Embassy are waiting for an update from Bonkers Boris who is telling you about the sunlit uplands etc. just around the corner.But it is good to know that you are all able to tell me from the UK just what I obviously haven´t a clue on in the place I live.
Riiggghhhttttt.

Latest Threads