Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

WightMivvi

War Hero
If you were too idle to take up Spanish citizenship in all the time that you lived there then, quite frankly, you deserve your fate. My well of sympathy has run dry.
If we hadn’t had four years of toxicity, hatred , immature wibbles and attempts to undermine the UK and democracy from a large number of Remainers, I might have retained some sympathy.

However, after millions of Remainers behaved like Trump, they can go boil their heads.

I have no bitterness towards those who voted Remain, but I’m not going to indulge them any more.

It’s time to suck it up.

I have just joined,not sure if this is the correct forum to be on as an ex-WRAF.But I am currently in Spain,had a business here & retired & stayed.But after 35 years have thrown in the towel & relocating back to Scotland shortly.Like thousands of ex-pats.living in an EU country we have had to take the brunt of the Brexit debacle despite being deprived of a vote in the referendum.We were assured that "nothing would change" as we had a permanent recidencia(ID card).Hollow laugh,every week it seems some new regulation means a shift in our status.For sometime we have been aware that the Continentals regard us as untrustworthy at best .I live in a small town of mostly Scandinavian with also Dutch & German Nationals who are polite to our face but the general feeling is "good riddance".The latest ourcry with us Brits.is the closure of Bank accounts held in UK where many have their pensions rather than converting it into euros at the ever changing currency rate,& this week the cancellation of our Health cards.We will need to apply for a new one despite mine which states it is valid for several more years.Also that"permanent" ID has to be changed to one that states we are"from a non-EU member country".In fact rather like stateless persons since we shall have no-one to fight our case if we have a grievance.That is apart from the British Embassy or Consulate,another hollow laugh from me.Ask that poor lady stuck in Iran because of big mouth Boris.I know I am an old cynic but do people in UK really believe that the (dis)United Kingdom will flourish after leaving the EU?
Man up princess. Brexit has happened. You've had 4 years to square your shite away.
I have just joined,not sure if this is the correct forum to be on as an ex-WRAF.But I am currently in Spain,had a business here & retired & stayed.But after 35 years have thrown in the towel & relocating back to Scotland shortly.Like thousands of ex-pats.living in an EU country we have had to take the brunt of the Brexit debacle despite being deprived of a vote in the referendum.We were assured that "nothing would change" as we had a permanent recidencia(ID card).Hollow laugh,every week it seems some new regulation means a shift in our status.For sometime we have been aware that the Continentals regard us as untrustworthy at best .I live in a small town of mostly Scandinavian with also Dutch & German Nationals who are polite to our face but the general feeling is "good riddance".The latest ourcry with us Brits.is the closure of Bank accounts held in UK where many have their pensions rather than converting it into euros at the ever changing currency rate,& this week the cancellation of our Health cards.We will need to apply for a new one despite mine which states it is valid for several more years.Also that"permanent" ID has to be changed to one that states we are"from a non-EU member country".In fact rather like stateless persons since we shall have no-one to fight our case if we have a grievance.That is apart from the British Embassy or Consulate,another hollow laugh from me.Ask that poor lady stuck in Iran because of big mouth Boris.I know I am an old cynic but do people in UK really believe that the (dis)United Kingdom will flourish after leaving the EU?
You're either a sock or a bit of a halfwit or perhaps both....

How does keeping a UK account open shield you from the vagaries of the Euro?

If I were you I'd be more enraged that you are being deprived of so much when EU citizens in UK are not.

Your fellow non-spanish ex-pats may seem to see you as duplicitous but I'd rather fancy that they look to their own status should Spain tire of them.

Welcome back to blighty though. I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you get over the shock of the weather. Good luck for the future.

35 years living in Spain and you are on short finals for being hoofed out?

I call boll0cks.

Utter, utter boll0cks.

That is a bit crap, isn't it? How are you losing your health card for a start? If you have permanent residency you retain all your rights after Brexit including access to healthcare. The only difference is that you will get a new EHIC card which will retain your rights to healthcare in any EU country unlike UK residents who will lose the cards. You will get new one (free of charge) which you can use to access healthcare in UK and any other EU country except Spain as you already get your healthcare there. So the bit about losing your healthcards is a lad of crap, isn't it?

My bank, Natwest, has informed me nothing will change regarding holding a bank account in UK. The only ones I've heard of that might lose them are Barclaycard customers as their T&Cs have always stated you must have a UK address.

And you haven't had a permanent ID card. You've had a little card that states you are a permanent resident if you've been there over 5 years. The only thing is, that card states you are on the register of foreign EU nationals resident in Spain. After 1st Jan you won't be hence you get a new card (at the extortionate sum of €12) which will be a proper ID card and valid for 10 years when it will be renewed free of charge. You will be from a non EU country after 1st Jan so stop being so bloody precious.

Funny place you live in. We have loads of nationalities here and don't get any of the attitudes you seem to be facing. We get on rather well with the Scandinavians, the Dutch, the Germans and even the Russians thank you very much.

You'll be nothing like a stateless person, will you? There will still be a British Embassy and didn't you just received a letter from them saying that if you were legal nothing will change? You'll still get your healthcare, your right to reside in Spain, to carry on exactly as you have been provided you are legal. Yes, loads of Brits under the radar will suffer (oh, what a bloody shame) and will probably have to pay their fair taxes, stop getting the fake MoT to keep their car here and so on.

You, on the other hand, have just made loads up.

Oh, and getting that new EHIC card? Two clicks on a computer web page and all done. Your new one will arrive by the end of the year.

That is a bit crap, isn't it? How are you losing your health card for a start? If you have permanent residency you retain all your rights after Brexit including access to healthcare. The only difference is that you will get a new EHIC card which will retain your rights to healthcare in any EU country unlike UK residents who will lose the cards. You will get new one (free of charge) which you can use to access healthcare in UK and any other EU country except Spain as you already get your healthcare there. So the bit about losing your healthcards is a lad of crap, isn't it?

My bank, Natwest, has informed me nothing will change regarding holding a bank account in UK. The only ones I've heard of that might lose them are Barclaycard customers as their T&Cs have always stated you must have a UK address.

And you haven't had a permanent ID card. You've had a little card that states you are a permanent resident if you've been there over 5 years. The only thing is, that card states you are on the register of foreign EU nationals resident in Spain. After 1st Jan you won't be hence you get a new card (at the extortionate sum of €12) which will be a proper ID card and valid for 10 years when it will be renewed free of charge. You will be from a non EU country after 1st Jan so stop being so bloody precious.

Funny place you live in. We have loads of nationalities here and don't get any of the attitudes you seem to be facing. We get on rather well with the Scandinavians, the Dutch, the Germans and even the Russians thank you very much.

You'll be nothing like a stateless person, will you? There will still be a British Embassy and didn't you just received a letter from them saying that if you were legal nothing will change? You'll still get your healthcare, your right to reside in Spain, to carry on exactly as you have been provided you are legal. Yes, loads of Brits under the radar will suffer (oh, what a bloody shame) and will probably have to pay their fair taxes, stop getting the fake MoT to keep their car here and so on.

You, on the other hand, have just made loads up.

Oh, and getting that new EHIC card? Two clicks on a computer web page and all done. Your new one will arrive by the end of the year.
Can I just point out to @aliceband aka SugarTits, that you are a UK expat resident in Spain.

If we hadn’t had four years of toxicity, hatred , immature wibbles and attempts to undermine the UK and democracy from a large number of Remainers, I might have retained some sympathy.
The only attempts to undermine UK democracy were by the May and Johnson governments, by trying to remove parliamentary scrutiny from the process.
However, after millions of Remainers behaved like Trump, they can go boil their heads.
How so?
I have no bitterness towards those who voted Remain, but I’m not going to indulge them any more.
Quid pro quo surely?
It’s time to suck it up.
Said on day one and every day since. People change their minds...are they not allowed to?

1606600497508.png

Please note that I'm not advocating anything in the way of second referendums, cancellations or rejoining, this needs to play out fully.

WightMivvi

War Hero
The only attempts to undermine UK democracy were by the May and Johnson governments, by trying to remove parliamentary scrutiny from the process.

How so?

Quid pro quo surely?

Said on day one and every day since. People change their minds...are they not allowed to?

View attachment 524602

Please note that I'm not advocating anything in the way of second referendums, cancellations or rejoining, this needs to play out fully.
You obviously forgot about the 5m Remainers who demanded that the results of an election were overturned because they didn’t realise they could have lost. Democracy only works if the losers have the maturity to accept the concept of being on the losing side.

You also obviously forgot about the House of Commons squeaker who repeatedly tried to sabotage the government of the day and it’s policies.

If Remain had won, I would be telling my fellow Leavers to suck it up so, yes, quid pro quo. Remaining wouldn’t have been the worst thing in the world; it was just not my preference.

And I agree that people can change their minds. In the election following the referendum, something like 90% of voters voted for political parties that claimed to be pro-leave. That’s like a 40% swing towards leaving.

People had another opportunity to change their minds last year, and returned a pro-Leave government.

2 chances to change their minds...

You obviously forgot about the 5m Remainers who demanded that the results of an election were overturned because they didn’t realise they could have lost. Democracy only works if the losers have the maturity to accept the concept of being on the losing side.
Nope, never saw that. I did see people marching in protest and all sorts but, unless you give context and links it's so much rhetoric.
You also obviously forgot about the House of Commons squeaker who repeatedly tried to sabotage the government of the day and it’s policies.
What exactly did he try to sabotage and how?
If Remain had won, I would be telling my fellow Leavers to suck it up so, yes, quid pro quo. Remaining wouldn’t have been the worst thing in the world; it was just not my preference.
If Remain had won by the same margin Nigel, Govey et all would still be shouting the odds. You know this.
And I agree that people can change their minds. In the election following the referendum, something like 90% of voters voted for political parties that claimed to be pro-leave. That’s like a 40% swing towards leaving.
We appear to have managed to get the worst Conservative party and worst Labour party in 40 years or so.
People had another opportunity to change their minds last year, and returned a pro-Leave government.

2 chances to change their minds...
They'll have another chance in 2024. It's how it works.

Latest Threads