Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

I have just joined,not sure if this is the correct forum to be on as an ex-WRAF.But I am currently in Spain,had a business here & retired & stayed.But after 35 years have thrown in the towel & relocating back to Scotland shortly.Like thousands of ex-pats.living in an EU country we have had to take the brunt of the Brexit debacle despite being deprived of a vote in the referendum.We were assured that "nothing would change" as we had a permanent recidencia(ID card).Hollow laugh,every week it seems some new regulation means a shift in our status.For sometime we have been aware that the Continentals regard us as untrustworthy at best .I live in a small town of mostly Scandinavian with also Dutch & German Nationals who are polite to our face but the general feeling is "good riddance".The latest ourcry with us Brits.is the closure of Bank accounts held in UK where many have their pensions rather than converting it into euros at the ever changing currency rate,& this week the cancellation of our Health cards.We will need to apply for a new one despite mine which states it is valid for several more years.Also that"permanent" ID has to be changed to one that states we are"from a non-EU member country".In fact rather like stateless persons since we shall have no-one to fight our case if we have a grievance.That is apart from the British Embassy or Consulate,another hollow laugh from me.Ask that poor lady stuck in Iran because of big mouth Boris.I know I am an old cynic but do people in UK really believe that the (dis)United Kingdom will flourish after leaving the EU?

I have just joined,not sure if this is the correct forum to be on as an ex-WRAF.But I am currently in Spain,had a business here & retired & stayed.But after 35 years have thrown in the towel & relocating back to Scotland shortly.Like thousands of ex-pats.living in an EU country we have had to take the brunt of the Brexit debacle despite being deprived of a vote in the referendum.We were assured that "nothing would change" as we had a permanent recidencia(ID card).Hollow laugh,every week it seems some new regulation means a shift in our status.For sometime we have been aware that the Continentals regard us as untrustworthy at best .I live in a small town of mostly Scandinavian with also Dutch & German Nationals who are polite to our face but the general feeling is "good riddance".The latest ourcry with us Brits.is the closure of Bank accounts held in UK where many have their pensions rather than converting it into euros at the ever changing currency rate,& this week the cancellation of our Health cards.We will need to apply for a new one despite mine which states it is valid for several more years.Also that"permanent" ID has to be changed to one that states we are"from a non-EU member country".In fact rather like stateless persons since we shall have no-one to fight our case if we have a grievance.That is apart from the British Embassy or Consulate,another hollow laugh from me.Ask that poor lady stuck in Iran because of big mouth Boris.I know I am an old cynic but do people in UK really believe that the (dis)United Kingdom will flourish after leaving the EU?
You'll be welcomed back to Naziland Scotchland, as you seem to meet the 'moaning tw@t' entry requirements.
cry.JPG

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

It won't, but they're so far up their own backsides that they haven't noticed yet.

Why on earth didn't you take up local citizenship in the EU ? You've lived over there, had a business so must be fluent in the local language , paid taxes, be entitled to their health system , pensions and social care. This would have made the whole Brexit situation academic. It's been going on a bit, it's not something that's been arrived at overnight.

Show us your tits Alice.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
You're easy, Colonel......"It won't, but they're so far up their own backsides that they haven't noticed yet."
There's one you've made in the last 10 minutes, you liar.

In what way is that a lie?

It's an honestly held opinion.

Welcome @aliceband You'll find the site members are as generous with their good wishes as they are informed about trade and the EU.

No moving back to 'muchty area perchance?

WightMivvi

Old-Salt
Yes. I do believe the UK will thrive outside the EU. Even the Remain campaign agreed that the UK economy would still grow outside of the EU. The Remain campaign also agreed that wages would probably be higher if we are outside of the EU.

I also believe leaving the EU increases the chances of foreigners being more accepted in the UK, as they will be able to prove they bring the skills, qualifications, money and work ethic we need.

Politically, I also think it will be a good thing as it reduced the grey areas between national and EU competencies that politicians can hide in. They will either have to deliver or sling their hook.

None of this will happen immediately, but we’ve started.

As for your disgraceful treatment by the continentals, well, I suppose it just shows that they never really respected you and have reverted to xenophobia.

If you were too idle to take up Spanish citizenship in all the time that you lived there then, quite frankly, you deserve your fate. My well of sympathy has run dry.

Latest Threads