Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

Yeah, good luck with that!:p

'With less than 50 days left for the Brexit transition period to end, India joined with nine nations at the World Trade Organisation (WTO) to raise concerns over the lack of clarity on how bilateral EU-UK trade will be treated in the absence of an agreement, and also demand compensatory concessions for the foreseen loss of market opportunities.

“A number of delegations intervened at the recent market access committee meeting at the WTO to express their concern over the uncertainty that still loomed over a EU-UK trade deal despite the Brexit transition deadline of December 31 fast approaching,” a Geneva-based trade official told BusinessLine.

'Since the EU is the second largest trading partner of India and the UK is amongst the top European nations with which the country trades (next to Germany), any change in trading terms between the UK and the EU can substantially impact the Indian business community. At the moment, there is no clarity about the kind of trade arrangement that will be in place between the UK and the EU once the transition period ends.

'Apart from India, the countries which called out for more clarity on UK-EU trade terms post-December 31, include Australia, Canada, China, Indonesia, Mexico, New Zealand, Paraguay, the US and Uruguay.

“The countries demanded that both the UK and the EU ensure that there should be compensatory concessions that are extended to trade partners for the market opportunities that may be lost due to the terms of Brexit,” the official said.'

Eh ? They can trade with the EU directly, we're not stopping them. Or were they using us a a trojan horse into the EU ?

Yeah, good luck with that!:p

'With less than 50 days left for the Brexit transition period to end, India joined with nine nations at the World Trade Organisation (WTO) to raise concerns over the lack of clarity on how bilateral EU-UK trade will be treated in the absence of an agreement, and also demand compensatory concessions for the foreseen loss of market opportunities.

“A number of delegations intervened at the recent market access committee meeting at the WTO to express their concern over the uncertainty that still loomed over a EU-UK trade deal despite the Brexit transition deadline of December 31 fast approaching,” a Geneva-based trade official told BusinessLine.

'Since the EU is the second largest trading partner of India and the UK is amongst the top European nations with which the country trades (next to Germany), any change in trading terms between the UK and the EU can substantially impact the Indian business community. At the moment, there is no clarity about the kind of trade arrangement that will be in place between the UK and the EU once the transition period ends.

'Apart from India, the countries which called out for more clarity on UK-EU trade terms post-December 31, include Australia, Canada, China, Indonesia, Mexico, New Zealand, Paraguay, the US and Uruguay.

“The countries demanded that both the UK and the EU ensure that there should be compensatory concessions that are extended to trade partners for the market opportunities that may be lost due to the terms of Brexit,” the official said.'

India biting the hand that feeds them?

I hope that doesn't come back to haunt them.

Remember when they were screaming about Arron Banks being funded by the Russians and the MSM getting behind top Investigative Journalist cat lady, Carole Cadwalladr of Gruniad and Observer fame:

Who'd a thunk it.
ETA:
There's a reason we call them 'belters'.

Last edited:

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Remember when they were screaming about Arron Banks being funded by the Russians and the MSM getting behind top Investigative Journalist cat lady, Carole Cadwalladr of Gruniad and Observer fame:

Who'd a thunk it.
Damn you, beaten to it.

What a very good day this is turning out to be.

civvy

Old-Salt

Who'd a thunk it.
ETA:

Fake news then. Who would have thought a left wing journalist, as honest as the day is long, would make stuff up.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Fake news then. Who would have thought a left wing journalist, as honest as the day is long, would make stuff up.
Damages case by Banks on the way as well as the legal costs in this case?

civvy

Old-Salt
Hopefully bankrupt 'The Guardian'...it's about time that rag vanished !

I think she is crowdfunded. What I would like to see is all her funders held jointly and severally liable for all damages and costs. At least it would make people think about what they are supporting. The twitterati still think that she is being hard done by (last time I looked).

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha, oh my aching sides.
We’re all going to starve!!!!!

Any more fantastically sourced ‘news’ links :D

Oh look;

Capture.PNG

No eu.

Hm this is getting interestinger, there's a three cornered bunfight in the EU anyway. It seems that the VDL is urging some kind of a compromise on Barnier and the EP is saying don't bank on a ratification at any cost. One of the sticking points it seems is on pre finished goods hitting supply chains- which on reflection has to be the Inward and outward processing of goods before being finished. It strikes me that once again. If we are going to guarantee Community transit, and goods coming here for finishing then being returned that there is no problem. These goods are never entered into home use and companies here and on the continent claim the vat exemption. There is therefore no reason to interfere. Heavens are there no properly trained customs officers on their teams? This simply isn't a problem.

Snowy.

On ROPS
On ROPs
Interesting article about the Brexit fisheries bill... sounds like just having a UK resisted boat/Flag of convenience means foreign owned vessels can fish in our waters and land their catch in the EU!..

Who'd a thunk it.
ETA:

It piqued my interest as to why it's not on the beeb as well, so after a bit of googling:

Carole Cadwalladr on Twitter: "I love that ‘Russian-state affiliated media’ @RT_com & @SputnikInt are both ALL over this..but for the avoidance of doubt, this is totally false, nothing has been ‘admitted’. Statement on @bindmans website here: https://t.co/oyFR7QQ9Ou… https://t.co/tE5QmAzbbJ" / Twitter

Statement on libel claim against Carole Cadwalladr | Bindmans LLP (en)

I'll wait and see how the story plays out.

I think she is crowdfunded. What I would like to see is all her funders held jointly and severally liable for all damages and costs. At least it would make people think about what they are supporting. The twitterati still think that she is being hard done by (last time I looked).

As you say, it looks like her backers might have to stump any shortfall between the monies raised and the costs.

Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 20.58.05.png

I wonder whether the Grun will hang her out to dry on underwriting her costs.........it may explain the crowdfunding. I'm too lazy to research whether Banks sued her alone, or the Grun too.

She's not clever enough to have dreamed that little stunt up herself. Interesting how those who encouraged her and, presumably, underwrote some of her expenses, have now disappeared back into the woodwork.