Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

I'll ask myself a much simpler question. Why did we sign the WA and rush it through parliament without reading?

Why were we planning to beak it in Feb?

You think this is muted?

The Vice-President stated, in no uncertain terms, that the timely and full implementation of the Withdrawal Agreement, including the Protocol on Ireland / Northern Ireland – which Prime Minister Boris Johnson and his government agreed to, and which the UK Houses of Parliament ratified, less than a year ago – is a legal obligation. The European Union expects the letter and spirit of this Agreement to be fully respected. Violating the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement would break international law, undermine trust and put at risk the ongoing future relationship negotiations.

Press corner

And this?

The EU Is Taking Legal Action Against The UK Internal Market Bill

Now, the EU aren't daft and were aware that it would be blocked by the Lords whilst negotiations continued and that if an agreement is reached, they can not GAF.
As of September 2018, the EU had 76 ongoing infringement actions against...go on see if you can guess...It's a country that Angela Merkel treats with utter contempt and disdain for its laws and conventions.

Yep, you got it, Germany. The country with the highest number of infringements against EU law.

All countries break international law in the eyes of others. Its all about perspective and shifting national/international sentiment and priorities.

Last edited:
Threatening to block food imports constitutes the threat of a blockade. In terms of the legislation, it will get bounced back to the Commons, voted through again and then back to the Lords to be passed. The EU are not party to Cabinet or Privy Council discussions, so you have entirely misunderstood my point about muted.
Finally, the EU willingly ratified the WA on the basis of the now notorious clause 38. You can argue that Johnson didn't read it properly, well it seems, neither did the EU.

If you are thinking of the NI issue, this is freely available on you tube whereby Barnier, Verhofstadt and their not so clued-up advisors allowed the BBC in to record a discussion on that very subject.
How naive.
Part of the Storyville documentary series.
Barnier : "..and in fact for me there is a strategic and tactical reason also, which is to use Ireland for the next, for the future negotiations. And to isolate Ireland and to not close this point and to leave it open for the next 2 or 3 years.
And in that case we will face clearly (interrupted by advisor) permanent pressure on the negotiations for trade, the single market, because of Ireland."

So quite clearly, a soon to be retired 70 year old negotiator was talking about piss-balling us around for for the next 2 or 3 years to negotiate a trade agreement.
This was posted in September apparently.
Some level playing playing field, but no fcuker used the backstop word though, how strange?

(With acknowledgements to Fat Cav for the original post on 16/9)

ACAB

LE
If you are thinking of the NI issue, this is freely available on you tube whereby Barnier, Verhofstadt and their not so clued-up advisors allowed the BBC in to record a discussion on that very subject.
How naive.
Part of the Storyville documentary series.
Barnier : "..and in fact for me there is a strategic and tactical reason also, which is to use Ireland for the next, for the future negotiations. And to isolate Ireland and to not close this point and to leave it open for the next 2 or 3 years.
And in that case we will face clearly (interrupted by advisor) permanent pressure on the negotiations for trade, the single market, because of Ireland."

So quite clearly, a soon to be retired 70 year old negotiator was talking about piss-balling us around for for the next 2 or 3 years to negotiate a trade agreement.
This was posted in September apparently.
Some level playing playing field, but no fcuker used the backstop word though, how strange?

(With acknowledgements to Fat Cav for the original post on 16/9)
Absolute *******. But we always knew that, the scum.................

Threatening to block food imports constitutes the threat of a blockade. In terms of the legislation, it will get bounced back to the Commons, voted through again and then back to the Lords to be passed. The EU are not party to Cabinet or Privy Council discussions, so you have entirely misunderstood my point about muted.

Finally, the EU willingly ratified the WA on the basis of the now notorious clause 38. You can argue that Johnson didn't read it properly, well it seems, neither did the EU.
Once again, where are these threats?

Why didn't we kick off when threatened?

Why were we planning as early as February, at a minimum, to renege on parts of the WA?

Starmer's playing the game, he raised objections, as did Miliband but they're both well aware that they can't afford the loss of capital that being perceived to be anti Brexit would bring.

Clause 38 affirms Parliament is sovereign, what's the issues with that? If that sovereignty is then used to renege on a treay, that reflects badly on us, not the EU.

Brexit is on course to cost the UK more than its combined total of payments to the European Union budget over the past 47 years

Brexit-Graph.png

From Feb 2020, based on fatuous forecasts and proved, by subsequent events (i.e. real data) to be incorrect.

The source is "Bloomberg Economics".........and one of the worst pieces of economic forecasting I've had the misfortune to read.
You may be correct... but it is not just a forecast, it is real time reporting based upon probability and BE figures. Where are the forecasts/real time reports showing how brexit has been a benefit to date, let alone fact based forecasts about how we are going to prosper in the future? There is overwhelming or near-unanimous agreement among economists that leaving the European Union will adversely affect the British economy in the medium- and long-term.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
You may be correct... but it is not just a forecast, it is real time reporting based upon probability and BE figures. Where are the forecasts/real time reports showing how brexit has been a benefit to date, let alone fact based forecasts about how we are going to prosper in the future? There is overwhelming or near-unanimous agreement among economists that leaving the European Union will adversely affect the British economy in the medium- and long-term.

Exactly how? Oh look at the top of each column is the word estimate and I do hope they are not including contraction due to Covid in 2020, because all the economies have suffered. Of course there’s more to come after all it’s an industry. These kinds of charts are pointless

WightMivvi

Old-Salt

Ah, the old Remain approach of “give us more power over you and we’ll maybe help you earn more money to give to us.“

It’s like the “Surrender your ability to influence future governments and we’ll help you spend two hours a year less in airport queue.”

It’s an asymmetrical “benefit”.

What is it with Continuity Remainers and their desire to exchange power for a tiny bit more comfort?

As I’ve asked before, if I say I’ll give you £10 tomorrow but then only give you £5 tomorrow, have you gained or lost?

Ah, the old Remain approach of “give us more power over you and we’ll maybe help you earn more money to give to us.“

It’s like the “Surrender your ability to influence future governments and we’ll help you spend two hours a year less in airport queue.”

It’s an asymmetrical “benefit”.

What is it with Continuity Remainers and their desire to exchange power for a tiny bit more comfort?

As I’ve asked before, if I say I’ll give you £10 tomorrow but then only give you £5 tomorrow, have you gained or lost?
There is no remain approach...it's too late to remain. The new approach is WTF have you done and where are the goodies?

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Translation:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!! NUMBERSNUMBERSNUMBERS
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
There is no remain approach...it's too late to remain. The new approach is WTF have you done and where are the goodies?
Translation:

Post #10965 refers.

Latest Threads