Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I don't care. I'm not the front runner for SPOTY 2020. You can't hide behind the crusty one this year. You've got my vote. You can rely on me. :)

I file you under 'weak'.

HCL

Old-Salt
I file you under 'weak'.

Careful now. That was almost an expressed opinion.

Shall I print it off and have it mounted in the outside loo, next to my 252, 1157 and expired 1032s? Best wait and see, hmm?

Dont forget to pop the Cork back properly on the communion wine, Padre, otherwise it'll turn before next Sunday's service.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Careful now. That was almost an expressed opinion.

Shall I print it off and have it mounted in the outside loo, next to my 252, 1157 and expired 1032s? Best wait and see, hmm?

Dont forget to pop the Cork back properly on the communion wine, Padre, otherwise it'll turn before next Sunday's service.
252 - singular? Wimp!

You reckon The Sun could be talking bollocks or, is it a bit of grievance mongering? Us drafting legislation which will break international law is OK though? Stuff comes at you fast eh?

If it happens then we'll negotiate something in due course I'd guess. Nobody would be stupid enough to consciously damage their own economy would they?

What on earth are you banging on about? The negotiation for the policy had already been concluded on the basis of reciprocity. The only change that the UK made was stopping the use of EU ID cards to enter the UK from October 2021. But, crucially, EU ID cards cannot be used to go through the e-Gates anyway and, given that the UK ID card scheme was scrapped in January 2011, we were not denying ourselves anything.

Finally, the Commission were initially supportive about this revised UK position because it was another way of putting pressure on Greece, Italy and Romania (and, to a lesser extent, France) to get their ID documents sorted out i.e. your lack of compliance with our directives on ID documents has resulted in the UK imposing this this policy change, which will inconvenience the rest of us.

If the Commission have now changed their mind, then EU Citizens face joining some very long queues and watching citizens from the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, etc, etc. sailing past them through the e-Gates.

They might sell a **** load more if they sell it at the proper tax free price though.

Never happen. Too many gullible folks out there thinking they're getting a bargain. I can get anything in the airport duty free cheaper within a five minute drive from where I live, quite often considerably cheaper.

I get the idea airports milk the property rentals as a revenue stream, making the entire concept of being cheaper a bit of a non starter.

Last edited:
Never happen. Too many gullible folks out there thinking they're getting a bargain. I can get anything in the airport duty free cheaper within a five minute drive from where I live, quite often considerably cheaper.

I get the idea airports milk the property rentals as a revenue stream, making the entire concept of being cheaper a bit of a non starter.

I remember in the 80 early 90s that the duty free on the ferry/airport used to be rammed, people arent interested anymore.
Start flogging Lamberts at 20 quid a carton and you watch it fill up again.

I can only respond to what's in front of me. You could always try posting something reasoned? Radical I know.

Fear not, your twitter craving can have a fix, I reckon @Brotherton Lad has started writing for the Tele' though...

Well of course he has, but I think that's speculation in any event. After all we're meant to THINK that aren't we. "We haven't finished so we will continue." Is a mentality not unknown to me. The issue is they either come up with the goods or they don't and the pressure is on Barnier to produce those goods, probably why he fell out with Macron's implacability. For once I empathise a bit with Barnier in the sense of what he trying to pull out of the hat.
In terms of the aviation industry, my take is that you can pick up that can of worms and shove in in file 13. It really depends on which of the national carriers survive into the medium term. I'm not saying ours will, but I suspect they will. This pandemic will have effects for a decade at least on tourism and that means the number of flights will drop in any event as will the demand for long haul hi cap aircraft, but there could be a real bonus for Air taxis given they don't survive on the requirement for low fares.
The people who traditionally inhabit these flights, corporate or private have about as much regard for the controls as an elephant has of an Ant hill. Money talks.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
You'll have a long wait. The signing of the UK-Japan FTA is what unlocked the talks because the Commission did not believe that an FTA would be concluded. They won't like another impending one either.

I'm very patient.

I remember in the 80 early 90s that the duty free on the ferry/airport used to be rammed, people arent interested anymore.
Start flogging Lamberts at 20 quid a carton and you watch it fill up again.

That's never going to happen. Taxes will go up again on cigarettes in the next budget.