Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

Hilarious?
You have to hope Westminster runs Brexit a hell of a lot better than they are running this Coronavirus thing.

And wasn't your constant whinging about how much you were paying to be in the Eu part of the problem.

Despite the fact that brexit has cost more than what we've paid to the Eu.

As Boris Johnson tears up pledges of ‘level playing field’ with the EU and unveils the Government’s vision for a Canada-style trade deal despite the EU having already rejected the idea, new research shows that Brexit is set to have cost the UK more than £200 billion in lost economic growth by the end of this year. This is a figure that almost eclipses the total amount the UK has paid into the EU budget over the past 47 years (£215 billion) since joining in 1973.

Research by Bloomberg Economics estimates that the economic cost of Brexit has already hit £130 billion ($170 billion), with a further £70 billion set to be added by the end of this year. The British economy is now 3% smaller than it could have been EU membership had been maintained.

In a tragic twist of irony, the scale of the EU payments were central to the Leave campaign’s case for Brexit and “taking back control of our money” and it now looks like the cost of Brexit itself is going to be significantly higher than all of those budget contributions over the past half-century – even before the UK actually leaves the free trading arrangement of the single market at the end of 2020.

SUBSCRIBE
Articles in the Potato Times won't change my mind.
As ever, your bitter tears of rage, make me tumescent. Keep shaking those angry little fists.

Last edited:

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
As ever, your bitter tears of rage, make me tumescent. Keep shaking those angry little fists.

It’s your Brexit, you’re welcome to it.
Bitter tears of rage, I’m afraid not. More surprised at people’s stupidity.
Do you mean something like this,

Nigel Lawson: I never thought we’d get a deal despite all those countless times I said on TV how easy it would be to get a deal
#newsnight

Wash your face, wear gloves or whatever this weeks advice is.

Nigel Lawson: I never thought we’d get a deal despite all those countless times I said on TV how easy it would be to get a deal
#newsnight

Let's leave Wee Nicky and the SNP out of this one.

Or is it just that Boris...grrrr?

Maris Piper

#newsnight

Potatoes!
You do know that Nigel Lawson hasn't been in government for some time, right.
And if you read it in the right context instead of through your potato peeling glasses, you will see that he never expected the EU to agree a deal.
If it helps, most of us brexiteers don't want a deal, we just want what we were promised, Brexit and I'd be doubly happy with WTO trading.

And if you read it in the right context instead of through your potato peeling glasses, you will see that he never expected the EU to agree a deal.
If it helps, most of us brexiteers don't want a deal, we just want what we were promised, Brexit and I'd be doubly happy with WTO trading.
Most voted for Brexit because we knew the EU is incapable of compromise, many would have voted Remain if they thought compromise was possible.
Ergo we voted for Hard Brexit and no amount of whining will stop that,

More to the point Lawson is on the record That by 1990 the EEC had served it purpose and we know that we should have had a referendum for Maastricht. That’s infuriating that for 30 years the British public have watched as politicians with no control have paid through the nose With our money. For 21 years England has been saddled with little representation by a British government by minority groups with their noses in the trough.

#newsnight

cheer up spud, you’ll soon be part of a United Ireland paying €Bilions to the EU

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

I still have the feeling that Barnier has no intention of reaching any deal with the UK. Also, Barnier is not negotiating for the EU, he is negotiating purely for France! IMO.

Boris comes up with a compromise of sorts in that he says he is willing to accede to the EU request to lump all negotiations together rather than area by area. A major deal, which Barnier has, in his usual fashion, snubbed and just demanded more. As long as Barnier is leading the EU negotiators, there is no chance of a deal.

Last edited:
I thought this might be of interest to some people. His opinions on who Britain's close international partners in the world should be are interesting as well.

Your personal erection details are your own affair. Although there's probably an Internet market for "brexitty guy with a stiffy", which I'm not going to research.

The numbers are interesting... like the Scottish Nats, are you attacking the man, not the ball, or do you have something about UK economic performance post Brexit that you can share?

I thought this might be of interest to some people. His opinions on who Britain's close international partners in the world should be are interesting as well.

I agree with what he said. The fight is going to be over what constitutes a "good deal".
It is entirely possible to leave the EU in name only if we aren't careful, and that wasn't what Brexit was about.
It's like having an arguement with someone , patching it up and giving them something coz it's a nice thing to do. Beware of what you give.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
I agree with what he said. The fight is going to be over what constitutes a "good deal".
It is entirely possible to leave the EU in name only if we aren't careful, and that wasn't what Brexit was about.
It's like having an arguement with someone , patching it up and giving them something coz it's a nice thing to do. Beware of what you give.

I'm looking forward to the autumn when Johnson's 'oven-ready deal' turns out to be a great steaming pile of 'fudge'.

Your personal erection details are your own affair. Although there's probably an Internet market for "brexitty guy with a stiffy", which I'm not going to research.

The numbers are interesting... like the Scottish Nats, are you attacking the man, not the ball, or do you have something about UK economic performance post Brexit that you can share?
Here's a tip on how to spot weepy, fake Brexit news.
When the article starts, " As Boris Johnson tears up pledges of ‘level playing field’ with the EU ", you can pretty much guarantee that it's remain nonsense and hyperbole.
Spud doesn't need white knighting by a communist, he can potato all on his own.
On the matter of my throbbing member, I get off of weepy remain tears. Keep going, I'm nearly there.

Latest Threads