Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

The Brexit Consequences Thread

Is that the Maastricht Treaty that UK voters were supposed to get a referendum on?

No, that was the EU Constitution, and TCLB wormed out of that when they renamed the Constitution as the Lisbon Treaty by saying it wasn't the same thing so no referendum was necessary.

Don't think there was ever a referendum on Maastricht promised by, I think, Major

Couple more of Jezza's front benchers have jumped ship just before the vote.....

Poor old Jezza...... :p

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn responds to Dawn Butler and Rachael Maskell's decision to quit the shadow cabinet to vote against the government's Brexit bill.

He says: "I would like to thank Dawn and Rachael for their work in the shadow cabinet. They are great assets to the Labour Party and to our movement.

"MPs have a duty to represent their constituents as well as their party, and I understand the difficulties that MPs for constituencies which voted Remain have in relation to the European Union withdrawal Bill.

He's right though. Maybe not just for his way of reasoning, but as the digital age progresses there simply won't be enough jobs available for humans. There has been trillion-fold increase in computing performance over the past sixty years and a lot of that computing power has been applied to jobs people used to do. From vacuuming carpets to stock-exchange algorithms to train-conductors to just about every jobs sector that exists.
People will have to live without their jobs and they are going to have to be paid a living wage.
Communism? No. A necessary societal development if we are to have a world which remains stable as machines are not just used, but become partners in running the necessary infrastructure modern life requires.

Where will the money come from to pay for such a thing?

I just watched Tulip Siddiq speak about why she's voting against the Bill, on the subject of EU nationals she lamented the fact that they were being vilified and seemed to imply they were all saints.
1. I'm in no doubt that most EU citizens make an excellent contribution to our country However, the fact that they are EU citizens doesn't make them more likely to be an asset than an Australian or an Indian.....
2. To deny that there aren't any problems with EU citizens is absurd.

It would be a thing of ghastly beauty if the EU slow motion train crash sped up prior to brezit.

It would probably go very quiet in the 'remain' corner.

The odds must be good that they manage either a political or financial in the two years running up to our actual exit. Politically, there are a number of anti-EU parties/politicians that might make a breakthrough in the next 24 months. Financially Greece is on the edge, Italy isn't looking great and there is considerable nervousness about anumber of under capitalised European banks.

And a nice EU crisis would rather strengthen the UK's negotiating position.

Wordsmith

No, that was the EU Constitution, and TCLB wormed out of that when they renamed the Constitution as the Lisbon Treaty by saying it wasn't the same thing so no referendum was necessary.

Don't think there was ever a referendum on Maastricht promised by, I think, Major
Fair do's!

Yes. Trade, jobs, wealth, standard of living, interest rates and all that sort of stuff would be affected. Apart from that no impact at all.

If the EU collapses and it can be attributed to BREXIT, the Remoaners will declare it a disaster and a disgrace that we caused it.

If the EU collapses for some other reason (greek debt, Italian bank collapse, right wing take-overs, whatever) then the Remoaners will declare it a disaster and say it was a disgrace we weren't there to prevent it.

If the EU proceeds to greater unity and all the problems that may cause, the Remoamers will declare it a disaster because we weren't there to exercise our veto.

If the EU miraculously finds its way becomes a proper trading block without the political baggage and becomes a success, the Remoaners will declare it a disaster because we're not in it.