The Brexit Consequences Thread

But then a gradual transformation came over certain sections of the CS - they began to relish the challenge of actually making things happen rather than reshuffling paperclips. And, although their dislike of Maggie never really abated, they began to put their weight behind her programs.

I wonder if anything similar will happen with BoJo?
It's quite simple

Shape up or ship out.

The CS are there to implement Government policy, not fight against / try to subvert / or cry their eyes out because they might not like that policy.

They should also never forget that they are supposed to be politically neutral.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
The Head of the Cabinet Office was directly asked about Dominic Cummings' influence this morning; his answer was that is was overblown and that, actually, he had enjoyed working with Cummings fairly recently on a digital project.
I suspect working for Cummings might actually be quite an invigorating exercise providing (a) you're quick on the uptake, (b) you like being challenged and (c) you like getting meaningful things done.

On the downside, I also suspect he can be a bit mercurial - those of delicate sensitivities beware.

As to Cumming's influence - he has minimal executive authority. Such authority as he has depends on him keeping BoJo's ear with (a) original thinking and (b) delivering on it.

He's the Chinese curse - work for him and you live in interesting times.

Wordsmith

Some interesting points about recognising technical expertise and that the ability to 'formulate policy without deep domain knowledge' i.e. bluff your case was no longer the preferred model of delivery. There are going to be a lot of disappointed Fast Streamers out there.
F'n 30 years too bloody late.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Meanwhile, the EU has discovered the answer to it's euro problems - it's letting the mighty economy of Bulgaria join.

The eurozone has come up with the perfect solution for all its problems. It is bringing Bulgaria on board. Last week Bulgaria and Croatia were admitted to the Exchange Rate Mechanism, the waiting room for membership of the single currency.
The Telegraph has accurately forecast what will happen when Bulgaria becomes a full blown member of the euro.
There is a boom, as investors decide it is financially solid for the first time. The government starts to borrow a ton of money with its newly secure bonds, and private companies borrow even more wildly. A bubble builds up and then finally it all collapses amid a sea of red ink, and the ECB has to step in with a bailout.
Next applicant for entry Ruritania....

Wordsmith

Meanwhile, the EU has discovered the answer to it's euro problems - it's letting the mighty economy of Bulgaria join.

The Telegraph has accurately forecast what will happen when Bulgaria becomes a full blown member of the euro.

Wordsmith
Could be worse if it was Scotland joining.

Wordsmith
The prisoner of Zenda?

How can you learn a job inside out if you are only allowed to get the job if you know it inside out?

"There's no way you can train be a pilot. You're not a pilot!"
You start at the bottom. I said some posts! I made no mention of Pilots- but in maritime terms a ships Pilot learns seamanship first and foremost. But does one have to go to university in all cases?

You start at the bottom. I said some posts! I made no mention of Pilots- but in maritime terms a ships Pilot learns seamanship first and foremost. But does one have to go to university in all cases?
I was pulling your leg, as you well know. I actually agree with you. During my last ten years or so in the army I saw loads of generalists (Especially bottom third infantry types) put into technical posts that they just didn't understand at all. This would lead to mad decisions, based on misplaced priorities resulting in calamitous policies with disastrous outcomes.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Could be worse if it was Scotland joining.
There is a beautiful logical conundrum I have flagged before.

Only EU members can join the euro and once in, there is no legal exit mechanism, implying that you must remain an EU member in perpetuity.

So what happens if a euro member triggers Article 50? You can't exit the euro, and you must be a member of the EU to be in it. Which directly contradicts the ability to leave the EU via Article 50.

The EU's very own Catch 22.

Wordsmith

There is a beautiful logical conundrum I have flagged before.

Only EU members can join the euro and once in, there is no legal exit mechanism, implying that you must remain an EU member in perpetuity.

So what happens if a euro member triggers Article 50? You can't exit the euro, and you must be a member of the EU to be in it. Which directly contradicts the ability to leave the EU via Article 50.

The EU's very own Catch 22.

Wordsmith
#
Crap. You need to get up to date and and read the European Central Bank ruling of 2009. If a country leaves the EU under article 50 then it automatically ceases to use the euro as well. It would not be possible to leave the EU and retain the euro.

Things change.
In fact, the ECB also ruled that while a EU country cannot leave the Euro (unless it exits the EU entirely) it could trigger Article 50, leave the euro and then reapply to join the EU. If it meets the criteria it could rejoin but keep its own currency even while committing itself to adopt the euro at a future date like some countries currently do.

It was actually suggested that that would be a way forward for Greece.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
#
Crap. You need to get up to date and and read the European Central Bank ruling of 2009. If a country leaves the EU under article 50 then it automatically ceases to use the euro as well. It would not be possible to leave the EU and retain the euro.
Really? You really should read the paper first - a paper incidentally, which has no legal force, but is an attempt to address the scenario I outlined above. (My bold)

1 Withdrawal under the treaties
Unlike the conditions for accession to the EU, which are addressed, even if not exhaustively, in Article 49 TEU11, neither the founding treaties (which, with the exception of the European Coal and Steel Community (ECSC) Treaty, have no specified term)12, nor the successive amending treaties made until the ratification of the Lisbon Treaty, made any provision for a Member State’s withdrawal (negotiated or unilateral) from the EU or EMU.
As I said, no legal way to exit the euro. The paper describes inventive ways of expelling a country from the euro - a very different matter.

How about doing your homework before your next post on the subject?

Wordsmith

I was pulling your leg, as you well know. I actually agree with you. During my last ten years or so in the army I saw loads of generalists (Especially bottom third infantry types) put into technical posts that they just didn't understand at all. This would lead to mad decisions, based on misplaced priorities resulting in calamitous policies with disastrous outcomes.
Well leg pulling aside that’s precisely the issue. There’s a fundamental difference between strategy and tactics. It was hilarious at times to see uni grads trying to figure out how to.

I've seen quite a few anti Brexit articles from these people over the last few months. 'Newsquest' pump the stories out to all the local news style websites that were once the local paper and bird cage floor.
I can't be arsed digging into the ownership but I'll wager there is reaminer money all over it.

#

Things change.
In fact, the ECB also ruled that while a EU country cannot leave the Euro (unless it exits the EU entirely) it could trigger Article 50, leave the euro and then reapply to join the EU. If it meets the criteria it could rejoin but keep its own currency even while committing itself to adopt the euro at a future date like some countries currently do.

It was actually suggested that that would be a way forward for Greece.
Sorry but that is almost farcical.
In principle should the ECB approve it as lender of last resort, there is no reason why the EUrocannot be adopted, but it is implicit at this stage that Those in the Eurozone are part of the EU.. Bearing mind the criteria for the afterthought that is A50 is the reverse of art 49, it’s obvious that the EU was making things up on the hoof. Now either you can leave the Euro or you can’t, or you have to be a member state to do so or you don’t. Given that A49 states you must join the Euro it smells more like it’s hedging it’s bets against smaller countries not being able to join the Euro at the outset. You see that’s the difference between the EUropean Union and the EUropean economic community.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
In principle should the ECB approve it as lender of last resort, there is no reason why the EUrocannot be adopted, but it is implicit at this stage that Those in the Eurozone are part of the EU.. Bearing mind the criteria for the afterthought that is A50 is the reverse of art 49, it’s obvious that the EU was making things up on the hoof. Now either you can leave the Euro or you can’t, or you have to be a member state to do so or you don’t. Given that A49 states you must join the Euro it smells more like it’s hedging it’s bets against smaller countries not being able to join the Euro at the outset. You see that’s the difference between the EUropean Union and the EUropean economic community.
The paper I cited above reeks of indignation that the peons aren't doing their master's bidding. For comedy value I cite one of the more indignant paragraphs.
The spectacular rebuffs, in recent years, of further integration initiatives, the alarming wave of reluctance of the peoples of Europe to the perceived loss of their sovereign rights to an allegedly ‘unaccountable’ and ‘undemocratic’ EU as well as the persistent, ‘principled’ opposition of some Member States to further integration, in conjunction with the difficulties faced by some of them in steering clear of excessive budgetary deficits and in complying with their Stability and Growth Pact obligations at a time of acute financial crisis suggest that, however remote, the risk of a non-compliant Member State being expelled from the EU or EMU is still conceivable.
How dare the BASTARDS oppose further integration - we've told them it's good for them!!!!

Wordsmith

Latest Threads