The Brexit Consequences Thread

Germany gamed the euro and got rich by exporting to other EU members, while importing ever less in return. Which is why Germany has been paying down it's sovereign debt over the bulk of the last decade, while the other member states have been increasing their debt to pay for all the stuff they're importing from Germany.
At the inception of the Euro, Germany's debt/GDP ratio was ~58%.

In 2020, Germany's debt to GDP ratio is ~60%.

Debt/GDP peaked in 2010 at 82.4%.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
At the inception of the Euro, Germany's debt/GDP ratio was ~58%.

In 2020, Germany's debt to GDP ratio is ~60%.

Debt/GDP peaked in 2010 at 82.4%.
While the debt to GDP ratio in just about every other EU country has been going up (including the UK).

And now we have the interesting prospect of the Italian debt to GDP ratio rising to 160% with investors taking fright (and asking for higher interest rates) at around 140%. Which makes a financial crisis near inevitable.

The excrement is steadily approaching the air moving device.

Wordsmith

Many Eurozone countries have lower debt/GDP ratios than Germany.

Japan has a ratio of ~240%.

They're just numbers. The bigger issue is the ratio vs the fiscal compact "constraints".

BL will along in a second to tell you that it won't be happening and that Brexit will be reversed imminently. For a man so well versed in strategy, he is quite simply unable to comprehend the mistakes that the EU have made every step of the way. He is the best CGS that the Army never had! :-D
I think trying to plan a funeral in the middle of a firefight was a career ending moment ;) ;)

Cummings is a bright guy, but he doesn't appear to have much self-doubt. Take, for instance, the decision in March that Boris should announce that he wasn't going to wear a mask, that he was going to carry on shaking hands, and that there was nothing to worry about: was that evidence-based? And when he did catch Covid-19 as a result, not to follow Government advice: was that "data science suggested that driving to Barnard Castle was a good idea"?

My evidence-based assessment is that Cummings does what's best for Cummings.
Ah yes, Cummings Gggggggrrrr!

Yes, she is power-conscious, unscrupulous and always ready to tear away enemies. But there is also a lot of stupidity on the part of the voters and the coalition partner, the SPD.
A "No experiments" attitude and this dammned "Calmness is the first civic duty" has always been the problem of the Germans.
That I am afraid is a problem right across Europe. Europe is no experiment any more it is the actuality . You’ve seen what happens when the voters revolt here and those who voted remain find they are so affected, when in fact they respond to the fact that they told they are affected. The plans for immigration are in fact exactly How Europe wanted the system to work. It’s why I’ve always said that FOM is conditional, not a right. So by leaving we actually do what it always said on the tin. The reduction in controls meant that nothing could be enforced. That became FOM . In fact calmness is the first civic duty, echoes with our stiff upper lip.

Would that have anything to do with social distancing reducing office space?
They were also very focused on what they described as a 'mixed economy model' i.e. working from home becoming the new norm, although not perhaps in quite the same proportions as now.

In terms of office space, my building had a 10-year lease extension signed in January. If MoJ Estates (who also manage the HO estate) had held off for another two months, I can absolutely guarantee that that extension would never have been signed.

My HOD is fluent in Roman latin - ideal if we are in talks with the Classis Britannica
Some interesting points about recognising technical expertise and that the ability to 'formulate policy without deep domain knowledge' i.e. bluff your case was no longer the preferred model of delivery. There are going to be a lot of disappointed Fast Streamers out there.

Last edited:

Yarra

Old-Salt
Some interesting points about recognising technical expertise and that the ability to 'formulate policy without deep knowledge' i.e. bluff your case was no longer the preferred model of delivery. There are going to be a lot of disappointed Fast Streamers out there.
Many of the Fast Streamers I've met are as about as impressive as the McKinsey/Deoloitte post grad Gods I've met.. :rolleyes:

Fine,they deserve Each other ultimately. I know let’s dissolve France and Germany and call it Europe
I know, let's merge France and Germany together and call it . . . err, Germany!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk