The Brexit Consequences Thread

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
What a childish, response.
If, as you claim, you are not a troll but a serious poster, you will be able to respond to the challenges to the links you posted.
You do not appear to be making the most of your 'win'.

You do not appear to be making the most of your 'win'.
You don't appear to be making the most of your brane.
You posted a link earlier that was laughed at. The sensible thing to have done would have been to respond to the points various posters raised.
That you did not, singles you out, (as if we didn't know), as a juvenile troll.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Given BL's advanced age, may I suggest senile dementia as the more probably explanation for his increasingly incoherent posts.

It can only be so long before he starts serving bowls of coffee at the start of an RMAS dinner, and mugs of soup to follow the final course.

Wordsmith :rolleyes:

if only our banks stood by our country like the German courts do then we'd be in a much better place but our lot are full on EU supporters
What can the courts do when politicians are determined to build Greater Europe?

An article from LTO:
In a joint motion on the securities purchase programme criticised by the BVerfG, the CDU/CSU, SPD, FDP and Greens now want to back the ECB's practice. After the BVerfG's decision, the ECB had explained its examination in more detail.

Following the restrictive ruling of the Federal Constitutional Court (BVerfG) on bond purchases, the CDU/CSU, SPD, FDP and Greens in the Bundestag want to support the corresponding practice of the European Central Bank (ECB) in a joint motion. The Bundestag considers the ECB's explanation of a proportionality test to be comprehensible, according to a draft proposal for the ruling, which was presented to the German Press Agency in Berlin on Monday. The requirements of the judgement are thus fulfilled.

On the basis of the draft, the parliamentary groups of CDU/CSU, SPD, FDP and the Greens wanted to decide whether they would participate in a joint motion. The goal was a vote in the plenum this week. If the Bundestag were to approve the paper, this might be a further step towards the Bundesbank continuing its participation in the bond purchases.

Deadline of the BVerfG: three months
At the beginning of May, the Federal Constitutional Court had decided (Ref. 2 BvR 859/15 et al.) that a securities purchase program (PSPP) launched in 2015 could not be legal because negative accompanying effects such as low interest rates on savings might not have been sufficiently taken into account. The ECB should submit this review. Otherwise, the Bundesbank could withdraw from the purchase process. The highest German court gave the Federal Government and the Bundestag three months to persuade the ECB to review the matter.

In the joint motion draft, CDU/CSU, SPD, FDP and Greens refer to a statement on the proportionality of the measures published on 25 June by the ECB's Governing Council. An ECB protocol published last week states that the central bank's bond purchases are appropriate to ensure the goal of stable prices. Sufficient safety buffers were also integrated into the purchasing programmes to limit possible negative effects.

MEPs write that the requirements for a proportionality test contained in the Constitutional Court ruling have been met. The ECB has identified, weighted and weighed up the economic policy effects of the programme. The Federal Ministry of Finance is also convinced that the Governing Council of the ECB has now "presented its proportionality considerations in a comprehensible manner". In conjunction with the documents provided, the decision "fully complied with the requirements of the Federal Constitutional Court's ruling of 5 May 2020".

dpa/ast/LTO editorial office

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Read John Gray's piece in the latest issue of the New Statesman. You fit his description of an unreconciled Remainer.
Not at all. I've read it. I'm more than happy with a soft BRINO.

That simply turns a grave strategic error into a foolish and silly mistake. I've said this frequently and that's why I enjoy these threads as a form of spectator sport.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Given BL's advanced age, may I suggest senile dementia as the more probably explanation for his increasingly incoherent posts.

It can only be so long before he starts serving bowls of coffee at the start of an RMAS dinner, and mugs of soup to follow the final course.

Wordsmith :rolleyes:
I see you are struggling.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
You don't appear to be making the most of your brane.
You posted a link earlier that was laughed at. The sensible thing to have done would have been to respond to the points various posters raised.
I didn't post a link.

As one of the bosses for the road hauliers, being interviewed because Portsmouth docks might have been in a similar position made clear. "Why would we send our most expensive and important assets, the trucks and drivers, out on the road without the paperwork being correctly completed when we know they'd be hanging around at the docks. It makes no sense".
Been done to death on a number of threads earlier on similar subjects.
When the head man of Calais Douanes goes on national TV in France and says that he expects that 90% of freight (both ways) will be pre-cleared online before it even arrives at his port, I think I believe him.
It tends to suggest to me that he knows what he is talking about, especially as a good proportion of those 2,397,270 lorries arriving in Dover last year came through his place of employment.
Apparently just 2 minutes extra checking per lorry will lead to 27kms tailbacks in France, and I don't think that is going to happen either.
This from 2018

If you haven't visited Calais in the last couple of years then you won't be aware of the complete new port built at the site of the old hovercraft terminal for rail freight, and unaccompanied freight traffic.
Originally for the new Calais to Tilbury route but that is currently suspended as there is not yet enough demand for the service.
Oh, and a strike also bollocksed it up too.

(That part of France is economically depressed to say the least and it needs all the jobs it can get soonest to keep Mme Le Pen out, she currently has 4 out of 12 regional Calais seats in the National Assembly.
They are very strong on a local government level too, people are pissed off all over, not just in the UK).
Interesting times ahead everywhere methinks.

Not at all. I've read it. I'm more than happy with a soft BRINO.

That simply turns a grave strategic error into a foolish and silly mistake. I've said this frequently and that's why I enjoy these threads as a form of spectator sport.
Of course General. Of course. You are about as convincing as DC’s eye test drive.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
More announcements guaranteed to get up the EU's nose, while being politically popular in the UK.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...il-will-banned-britain-tough-new-immigration/
Foreign criminals sentenced to more than a year in jail will be banned from Britain under new immigration rules. Priti Patel, the Home Secretary, will on Monday set out details of the points-based system which will replace freedom of movement from January 1. The 130-page document will abolish the route into the UK for unskilled migrants and instead award points to applicants if they have skilled job offers, speak English and meet minimum salary thresholds.
Petty criminals hoofed back to the EU, a points based immigration system and bye-bye freedom of movement.

What's not to like?

Wordsmith

I've said this frequently and that's why I enjoy these threads as a form of spectator sport.
Do you? You still sound, after all this years, pissed off. A posh officer pissed off, but still mightily pissed off.

This Fox has a longing for grapes,
He jumps, but the bunch still escapes.
So he goes away sour;
And, ’tis said, to this hour
Declares that he’s no taste for grapes.

You really are as daft as you make out.
For an answer to your hysterical ramblings, please see 2016.

Let me give you just one example of ridiculous 'red tape' the EU have thrust upon us, that narks me greatly.
Filter Coffee Makers. We are no longer allowed to import or manufacture coffee makers that stay on after a certain length of time. My new one is 20 minutes after brewing.
This presumably follows the spate of well publicised exploding coffee makers in 1995.
I bought a great Moulinex coffee machine in the nineties which stays on and has boil dry function which means if it boils dry, it cuts the electricity supply. I bought it in Belgium, funnily enough. It stays on for as long as there is coffee in the pot and I am swigging it.
I can't count the number of times the new one has nearly been launched across the Lake District when I went back for a top up after 30 minutes to a lukewarm brew. That's the EU, that is.
Absolutely no requirement to bring in that regulation other than someone going for the tick in the box, "Look what I have done"
It might sound petty but this is one of a million unnecessary regulations which do not stand up to scrutiny but were waived through by some foreigner.

And the clincher to your adolescent argument, what makes you think that we are going to accept lower standards?

Cutting regulations that allow lower standards within the EU (with me so far @Gravelbelly ) and installing our standards in new regulations that are BETTER (capital letters just for you @Gravelbelly) will surely be an achievement of Brexit?
The exact opposite of what you remain voting people are suggesting.

Apologies to arse for the rant, even though I am probably wasting my time explaining facts to @Gravelbelly
A reasonably interesting post, if you really care about one side of an argument about coffee machines, but it is a classic example of a certain part of the Brexit camp that is utterly obnoxious.

Everything has to come complete with a snarl, a bullying tone and a fanatic's one eyed certainty that anyone who may even have a mildly different opinion, or shows a scintilla of doubt, is weak, deserves to be abused, stamped on and reviled.

All very un-British.

A reasonably interesting post, if you really care about one side of an argument about coffee machines, but it is a classic example of a certain part of the Brexit camp that is utterly obnoxious.

Everything has to come complete with a snarl, a bullying tone and a fanatic's one eyed certainty that anyone who may even have a mildly different opinion, or shows a scintilla of doubt, is weak, deserves to be abused, stamped on and reviled.

All very un-British.
Righto, Adolf.

You can add into that Cummings has his sights set on the CS recruitment procedures. Henceforth you're likely to need a maths or science degree to get in - arts and humanities degrees are out of the window. More number crunching based decision making.

Wordsmith
no more media Studies, Classics, English Literature! :eek: