The Brexit Consequences Thread

<snigger>
1594405299655.png

1594405347616.png

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh please. Car manufacturing is transitory, it goes where it wants when it wants like anything else. The control of finance is key to this. It’s what the financial crash was all about. If the pound could be killed, we’d be forced into the Euro. It failed, we’re far to resilient for that. Germany’s commitment to Europe was taking that on as price for reunification.
Germany, interestingly, is slowly revising its opinion of the euro. It was all for it when the euro was working in Germany's benefit - German exports boomed on the back of the euro because it delivered what was - for Germany - an artificially low exchange rate. But that worm has now turned.

With Club Med going down the sh*tter as a result of Covid-19, Germany is taking a much tougher line. The German Constitutional Court, which bent over backwards to justify EU shenanigans in the past has suddenly dome a 180 degree turn over the latest bout of ECB QE, ruling it's contrary to EU rules - and indeed that the ECB itself is in breach of EU rules. Could that be because the QE is making extensive use of the German cheque book without German permission?

Expect to see German strongly resist further ECB QE. Two wins for Germany from doing that. The first is the German regain control of their cheque book. The second is Germany is cash rich by EU standards. As Club Med companies get into financial trouble, expect to see Germany companies buying them up at bargain basement prices.

European solidarity is a wonderful thing.

Wordsmith

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
And we are back again with Projekt Fear "It's going to be an increase in tariff on beef from the EU (Eire) of 48% guess what, we (UK) are not forced to buy or ear Irish beef, Cheddar cheese is going to cost more (50%) , maybe we just buy English (or Scottish) cheddar cheese sans tariff... lets not forget oranges from Spain
Grun seems to be going into overdrive on Brexit again now that covid is last weeks fish and chip wrappers
WTO rules are simple. They're the maximum tariff you can charge for goods. But a country can unilaterally lower them, providing all countries are treated equally. As a first move, expect to see BoJo chop tariffs on everything not grown or made here.

Cheap bananas and kiwi fruits anyone?

Wordsmith

Last edited:

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Tbh, I'm amazed that the Greens and the Lib Dems didn't merge before. If Layla Moran gets to the top job, I would suggest that it is on the cards.
It's the new maths: 1 + 1 = 1.

Two less than mainstream parties merge and the two have no more combined impact that they did as individual parties...

Wordsmith

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Strange, I can't remember you ever saying that the debate is over, we're leaving.
On the contrary you keep saying that any day now it all will be reversed.
Unless of course I'm one of those "not very bright' people
You appear to have answered your own question.

Well done!

rifleair

War Hero
You appear to have answered your own question.

Well done!
Oh thank you, I so didn't want to be left out!
However that was only half the post, as I am not so bright could you please answer the point I made. You still haven't shown where you said that Brexit was over and we have left?

Germany, interestingly, is slowly revising its opinion of the euro. It was all for it when the euro was working in Germany's benefit - German exports boomed on the back of the euro because it delivered what was - for Germany - an artificially low exchange rate. But that worm has now turned.

With Club Med going down the sh*tter as a result of Covid-19, Germany is taking a much tougher line. The German Constitutional Court, which bent over backwards to justify EU shenanigans in the past has suddenly dome a 180 degree turn over the latest bout of ECB QE, ruling it's contrary to EU rules - and indeed that the ECB itself is in breach of EU rules. Could that be because the QE is making extensive use of the German cheque book without German permission?

Expect to see German strongly resist further ECB QE. Two wins for Germany from doing that. The first is the German regain control of their cheque book. The second is Germany is cash rich by EU standards. As Club Med companies get into financial trouble, expect to see Germany companies buying them up at bargain basement prices.

European solidarity is a wonderful thing.

Wordsmith
I think Germany has already surrended and Merkel has signed up to the 750 Euro Bailout. Macron knows how the charm the batty old birds.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
However that was only half the post, as I am not so bright could you please answer the point I made. You still haven't shown where you said that Brexit was over and we have left?
That should be obvious.

Don’t expect a coherent answer, despite his protestations, the good colonel, to use his own words, isn’t especially bright & struggles forming a coherent argument...

rifleair

War Hero
That should be obvious.
But it isn't, I've looked and can't find it, still as I'm not too bright, isn't it incumbent upon you, as the senior clever bod here, to enlighten the poor unfortunate such as myself and show the post where you said it?
Seems only right.

rifleair

War Hero
Don’t expect a coherent answer, despite his protestations, the good colonel, to use his own words, isn’t especially bright & struggles forming a coherent argument...
I don't, I expect more fudging and monosyllabic replies, or a stiff ignoring!

Latest Threads