The Brexit Consequences Thread

Nigerians are past masters at doing deals

under the table.
What the hell are the WTO thinking?

ETA: Just read the post by @Oyibo so will reserve judgement for now. Probably not wise to hold my breath though.

Last edited:
Probably more due to our demographics. But I'm not allowed to say that.
I think his comment says more about the Irish mentality, they think they’re on a par with France and Germany. But then you won’t find any one in Ireland unimpressed by Gucci, Ferrari etc. The political agenda has been to ensure we shut down. So the only way is up as the old song goes.

And yet you seem to think the best way for your hopes to come to fruition is to constantly drip about the fact we are leaving the EU!

A great example on how to become one of life's achievers - not!
No, I'm dripping about the fact that we don't seem to be on top of the organisation of it. We've got a government that utterly f***ed up its response to the top entry on the National Risk Register, and I worry that they're going to f*** Brexit up too.

Now, you can call that "dripping" or "negativity", and suggest that "it's all the fault of the media being negative". Fine. But I'm getting the same feeling about Brexit that I saw when watching an overconfident 2Lt that hadn't thought something through, and assumes that an air of confidence is all that is necessary for success.

You know - big blank spaces in the "Actions On" paragraph, little or no rehearsals...

No, I'm dripping about the fact that we don't seem to be on top of the organisation of it.
2 names for that clusterfcuk

May & Robbins.

Kinda difficult to get on top of the organisation of it when you have only been in the seat 7 months and 4 of those months have been taken up firefighting a virus.

Since Johnson took over and appointed David Frost - The EU ( Comm ) in general and Barnier in particular have all had a collective boot in the swingers and they do not like it.

This year, there has been article after article ( In the Graun of all places ) of tear stained, woe is me, why wont the UK now roll over ALA May & Robbins.

Yet we still get the same howling. The latest being that the UK does not seem interested in an FTA.

Too stupid, heads too far up jacksies, or too full of their own self importance to understand that:

1. Being under the jurisdiction of the ECJ
2. A legal requirement of no divergence / continue to accept EU diktat from EU rules

Is not, and never will be an FTA.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
No, I'm dripping about the fact that we don't seem to be on top of the organisation of it. We've got a government that utterly f***ed up its response to the top entry on the National Risk Register, and I worry that they're going to f*** Brexit up too.

Now, you can call that "dripping" or "negativity", and suggest that "it's all the fault of the media being negative". Fine. But I'm getting the same feeling about Brexit that I saw when watching an overconfident 2Lt that hadn't thought something through, and assumes that an air of confidence is all that is necessary for success.

You know - big blank spaces in the "Actions On" paragraph, little or no rehearsals...
You clearly are not believing hard enough.

I agree with you.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

As this is, after all, the Brexit Consequences thread, what is it that you think/know/guess/hope that Boris and his team have done wrong? What is it that is making you squeeze your panties.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Yet we still get the same howling. The latest being that the UK does not seem interested in an FTA.

Too stupid, heads too far up jacksies, or too full of their own self importance to understand that:

1. Being under the jurisdiction of the ECJ
2. A legal requirement of no divergence / continue to accept EU diktat from EU rules

Is not, and never will be an FTA.
And - as I've said before - the reasoning behind the EU's stance is simple. If the UK is free to cut tax and regulation below EU levels and prospers as a result, the EU member states will demand the same. Which will have two impacts on the EU.
  • It will severely impact on the dreams of a European super state because less tax and regulation means less state.
  • The EU will be even further away from fixing the problems in the euro. Which require a common economic and tax policy across the EU, redistribution of wealth and a means of disciplining states that do not adhere to Brussels dictated policies.
I'd say we're less than 5 years away from the end of the EU in it's present form - and the break-up is going to be messy.

Wordsmith

And - as I've said before - the reasoning behind the EU's stance is simple. If the UK is free to cut tax and regulation below EU levels and prospers as a result, the EU member states will demand the same. Which will have two impacts on the EU.
  • It will severely impact on the dreams of a European super state because less tax and regulation means less state.
  • The EU will be even further away from fixing the problems in the euro. Which require a common economic and tax policy across the EU, redistribution of wealth and a means of disciplining states that do not adhere to Brussels dictated policies.
I'd say we're less than 5 years away from the end of the EU in it's present form - and the break-up is going to be messy.

Wordsmith
Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!!

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
As this is, after all, the Brexit Consequences thread, what is it that you think/know/guess/hope that Boris and his team have done wrong? What is it that is making you squeeze your panties.
The desire to remain in the EU was always based on emotion, not logic.

As I've repeatedly posted in the past, the EU's share of world trade has halved from 30% to 15% since the late 70's. While the rest of the world has prospered.

People ultimately want the best possible standard of living they can have - which means the UK has to grow its economy as fast as it can achieve. So do we tie ourselves to a trading block slowly shrinking into irrelevance, or do we hitch our star to the 85% of the world that is growing?

Tough call...

Wordsmith

When Brexit-supporting, sitting government ministers are expressing concerns?

'EXCLUSIVE: Liz Truss, the UK's international trade secretary, privately raised deep concerns about Prime Minister Boris Johnson's Brexit border plans in a letter leaked to Business Insider.
While Britain is set to leave European Union trading rules at the end of the year, the UK has announced that full border controls on goods will not come into effect until next July.
In a letter to other senior Cabinet figures on Wednesday, Truss said the plans could lead to smuggling from the EU and face a legal challenge from the World Trade Organisation.
She wrote to Rishi Sunak, the chancellor of the exchequer, and Michael Gove, the chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, setting out four key concerns about the plans.
Truss also said the plans could break international trading rules and harm the UK's reputation at the WTO.'

Probably more due to our demographics. But I'm not allowed to say that.
And there was me thinking that it was because the U.K. was saying it was safe to shake hands with covid patients while most of the rest of the world was saying don’t Shake hands with anyone.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

'EXCLUSIVE: Liz Truss, the UK's international trade secretary, privately raised deep concerns about Prime Minister Boris Johnson's Brexit border plans in a letter leaked to Business Insider.
While Britain is set to leave European Union trading rules at the end of the year, the UK has announced that full border controls on goods will not come into effect until next July.
In a letter to other senior Cabinet figures on Wednesday, Truss said the plans could lead to smuggling from the EU and face a legal challenge from the World Trade Organisation.
She wrote to Rishi Sunak, the chancellor of the exchequer, and Michael Gove, the chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, setting out four key concerns about the plans.
Truss also said the plans could break international trading rules and harm the UK's reputation at the WTO.'

Really, is that "secret leaked" letter really Ms Truss (what a strange woman she is) worried about BJ's actions or just letting Brussels know that we are well prepared?

Christ on a bike

1. Never, ever, in the history of the EU has smuggling from the EU to the UK happened :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2. I would wait for word from the WTO before getting my knickers in a twist.

That amazing word '' Could '' sends so many people into a panic.

I think it's all a bit shakey an uncertain right now - but that's not the question. The question is whether we're even worse off than them, or slightly better off than if we'd stayed in. Given all of the shoutiness around the subject of EU agreements, I'll stick to "I suppose we'll have a better idea by six months after the end of the transition period".

I'm hoping that we'll be better off - but I worry that we won't be. That seems reasonable, because one thing that our response to Covid-19 has demonstrated is that we aren't somehow innately more competent at getting stuff done, than the rest of Europe - frankly, we appear to be on a par with Italy and Spain.
...and you appear to be leaping to premature conclusions.

This is all a long way from over (Brexit or Covid) and leading or lagging before the half-way point in a marathon is not a reliable indicator of eventual outcome.

Calm your jets ace!

Any minister who moans about potential smuggling from the EU knows sod all about the amount of smuggling that has existed for forty years. The concepts off the single market have not eliminated it, quite the opposite. The EU has/d a penchant for not looking. If you don’t look you don’t find. This equates to no problem. If there’s no problem there is no funding

And there was me thinking that it was because the U.K. was saying it was safe to shake hands with covid patients while most of the rest of the world was saying don’t Shake hands with anyone.
Did "the rest of the world" say that? There are different approaches handling the pandemic. Don't fool yourself, it isn't over now and the next wave is just in it's starting blocks. Until you haven't got herd immunity or a working vaccine you have to face the fact that there will be many more COVID-19 infections and more deaths. So don't start to count to early, it isn't over now and you can't be sure how the final count will look like.

Only one thing ist sure and that ist, that the hedgehog can't be buggered at all.

Latest Threads