The Brexit Consequences Thread

I used to dismiss people who said "oh Boris is just the British Trump" because, I thought naively, Johnson does at least have half a brain and has the published works to prove it.
And yet... Perhaps he is the very British analogue of Trump - not stupid or vicious, clever but just wholly unsuited to any position of power. Not deluded that he's the second coming of Christ but instead that he's Churchill reincarnated. Possessed of a sort of grubby, low grade corruptness (because that's "trade") when Trump seems to revel in high grade corruption.
Ambition without ability is a horrible thing.
In other words the complete antithesis of Tony Blair- that could be a winner. But I really don't know what people expect. Blair offered transparency in a sort of opaque way. Boris is not pretending anything.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
In other words the complete antithesis of Tony Blair- that could be a winner. But I really don't know what people expect. Blair offered transparency in a sort of opaque way. Boris is not pretending anything.
With the state of things in this country and the hostility of the media, Boris needs to come through and produce the goods. This is one Premiership that needs a physical benefit or he will castigated, and success now seems to be purely financial.

Boris could get ever lasting world peace agreed but if that did not put 5bob in peoples' pockets then he will have failed.

This is more a reflection on society than on BJ.

With the state of things in this country and the hostility of the media, Boris needs to come through and produce the goods. This is one Premiership that needs a physical benefit or he will castigated, and success now seems to be purely financial.

Boris could get ever lasting world peace agreed but if that did not put 5bob in peoples' pockets then he will have failed.

This is more a reflection on society than on BJ.
Well fwiw, The EU is predicting a sharper recession than anticipated. France has stated there will be a deal but not at any cost. I think tactically BJ has won this battle and therefore the invective Of the entitled Will get worse. The more they scream the more the element of success.

I think tactically BJ has won this battle and therefore the invective Of the entitled Will get worse. The more they scream the more the element of success.
Silly me, I was rather hoping that the element of success was that we were better off economically outside the EU, than inside it - that we'd have all those sweet trade deals that were promised to be so easy, once we had the freedoms to negotiate independently.

If you're reduced to "yeah, well, it really p!ssed off the libtards" then perhaps you should be asking yourself when, exactly, the goalposts got moved?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Hey potato head.
Could you enlighten us all and tell us when we are leaving Europe?
I only ever voted to leave the European Union. It is a political construct that a few of us disagree with because we were lied to about what being a member of it actually meant.
Here send Brussels or Dublin the bill for this one.

Silly me, I was rather hoping that the element of success was that we were better off economically outside the EU, than inside it - that we'd have all those sweet trade deals that were promised to be so easy, once we had the freedoms to negotiate independently.

If you're reduced to "yeah, well, it really p!ssed off the libtards" then perhaps you should be asking yourself when, exactly, the goalposts got moved?
That was certainly a neat twist on your part sirrah. The point is that those who chirrup the most are far more likely to denigrate any achievement on the "we could be doing so much better-trope" without having any factual evidence to back it up. Largely because there won't be any comparative evidence. ( but hey)
As to moving Goalposts, well a certain JP Juncker esq was quite adept at making rules on the hoof- so we won't go there will we. I think the funniest was finding that he had to be prime negotiatior under A50 and then finding that the EU had actually made not provision for such eventuality and him having to ask the EU own court to confirm it. Of course the legality of A50 in itself has never been tested.
So the next time you notify that you're leaving a club you had better read the small print and find out how many people will actually be needed to permit you to do so.

Silly me, I was rather hoping that the element of success was that we were better off economically outside the EU, than inside it
On a different note, perhaps you had better not confuse the expenditure required for COVID rather than the economic factors. COVID you see is the Joker in this pack and watching the financial shenannigans of the Eurozone in trying to hang together is going to be intriguing. We at least will not be shackled to that- but we won't be that affected by it.

We're all Leavers now.
Dry your eyes Princess.

Silly me, I was rather hoping that the element of success was that we were better off economically outside the EU, than inside it
No, you were rather hoping that Mummy May would make the Bad "Get Brexit Done" Men go away and make the EU love you again.

How's that all working out for you?

Genuine questions here, do you think the EU and the Eurozone is a financially sound place to be right now?

Does the future look any brighter for them than it does for us?

What could possibly go wrong!

'Despite being a Brexiteer who wants to see the UK embrace what he sees as the opportunity of signing new trade deals from next year, Liam Fox was sacked immediately by Boris Johnson when he became PM. But it now seems the PM thinks Mr Fox could be the man to fight for his vision of global free trade.

'Mr Fox's supporters have spoken of the need for a "political leader" at the WTO - and point to his connections with many influential Republicans in Washington. He's not the frontrunner. Many countries are expecting an African leader of the organisation - with the favourite from Nigeria at the moment.'

He's not the frontrunner. Many countries are expecting an African leader of the organisation - with the favourite from Nigeria at the moment.'
Nigerians are past masters at doing deals

under the table.

What could possibly go wrong!

'Despite being a Brexiteer who wants to see the UK embrace what he sees as the opportunity of signing new trade deals from next year, Liam Fox was sacked immediately by Boris Johnson when he became PM. But it now seems the PM thinks Mr Fox could be the man to fight for his vision of global free trade.

'Mr Fox's supporters have spoken of the need for a "political leader" at the WTO - and point to his connections with many influential Republicans in Washington. He's not the frontrunner. Many countries are expecting an African leader of the organisation - with the favourite from Nigeria at the moment.'

" His nomination by Downing Street would come as a blow to former Labour cabinet minister Lord Mandelson, who has also expressed an interest in the role. "

On what planet would Boris ever select Mandy to represent the UK at anything.

Oyibo

LE
Nigerians are past masters at doing deals

under the table.
Their candidate is unusually good though. When she was Finance Minister she turned around the economy and the stability of the currency (only to have it wrecked by Goodluck Jonathan in a subsequent government)

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
" His nomination by Downing Street would come as a blow to former Labour cabinet minister Lord Mandelson, who has also expressed an interest in the role. "

On what planet would Boris ever select Mandy to represent the UK at anything.
He’s a very effective operator. If he’s proper on board with Free trade and doesn’t see it as some backdoor way to promote the EU he would probably be an excellent choice.

Genuine questions here, do you think the EU and the Eurozone is a financially sound place to be right now?

Does the future look any brighter for them than it does for us?
I think it's all a bit shakey an uncertain right now - but that's not the question. The question is whether we're even worse off than them, or slightly better off than if we'd stayed in. Given all of the shoutiness around the subject of EU agreements, I'll stick to "I suppose we'll have a better idea by six months after the end of the transition period".

I'm hoping that we'll be better off - but I worry that we won't be. That seems reasonable, because one thing that our response to Covid-19 has demonstrated is that we aren't somehow innately more competent at getting stuff done, than the rest of Europe - frankly, we appear to be on a par with Italy and Spain.

Latest Threads