The Brexit Consequences Thread

load_fin

War Hero
Anchor butter is still on the shelves and New Zealand Lamb is still available, just like before we joined the EU.
Anchor is owned by Arla...says "From the heart of the west country" on the pack.

I think the disruption occurred some years ago, when NZ dairy products were effectively excluded from UK markets by the EU, and Arla bought the brand

lecky

War Hero
Interesting FT report says unnamed German Government Officials have accepted that the U,K are off.
They're going to miss our " Bulls**t control" and about E10 Billion p.a. from their account.
They're not looking forward to having to work with Macron either, with his big idea's and his big mouth.
Strikes me that these were the kind of sentiments rumbling about in the UK prior to 2016. Another parallel is their scepticism about fixing the economies of the East and South by chucking more money at them.
Though the article ends with the suggestion that the German officials feel they are in too deep to see a way of getting out, the same could be said for the attitude taken by our own C.S. around the referendum.

Interesting FT report says unnamed German Government Officials have accepted that the U,K are off.
They're going to miss our " Bulls**t control" and about E10 Billion p.a. from their account.
They're not looking forward to having to work with Macron either, with his big idea's and his big mouth.
Strikes me that these were the kind of sentiments rumbling about in the UK prior to 2016. Another parallel is their scepticism about fixing the economies of the East and South by chucking more money at them.
Though the article ends with the suggestion that the German officials feel they are in too deep to see a way of getting out, the same could be said for the attitude taken by our own C.S. around the referendum.
Mornin'
Yes I read that. This says it all really
"During almost half a century in the EU, the British often felt locked out by the intimate relationship between the “Franco-German couple”. my own perspective is that for the first time since 1945 Germany is actually going to have to become a country again and fight it's own battles. But it also highlights another reason why we are well shot of the EU simply because it's either Germany, France or the EU attach mouthpiece as required.

Yon doctor needs to take a look at arrse...he'll see plenty of delusion and psychosis. Brought on by mental gymnastics of believing different things at the same time and the incurable desire to return to a better time when Britain ruled the world and others knew their place.
I was just about to say that, On reading the twaat.

The remainers on here often show similar traits to the nutter who has been locked up.

lecky

War Hero
Mornin'
Yes I read that. This says it all really
"During almost half a century in the EU, the British often felt locked out by the intimate relationship between the “Franco-German couple”. my own perspective is that for the first time since 1945 Germany is actually going to have to become a country again and fight it's own battles. But it also highlights another reason why we are well shot of the EU simply because it's either Germany, France or the EU attach mouthpiece as required.
Evenin
Yep, it's going to be really interesting to see if Germany can start asserting itself on a National stage....though it might feel a bit self conscious of appearances.
If it can't: Then the cracks could become fissures. Its Banks are looking very fragile. The rest of the EU's economic performance is looking unresponsive, but still hungry for handouts. The early signs of a German economic downturn are growing ( I see Audi shed 9500 jobs in Germany recently, along with reduced shifts for Ford in its German Plant.) Then they've got Macron trying to throw France's weight around.
If we make an Economic success of ourselves outside the EU, the Germans might cast an envious eye as they realise whose company they've saddled themselves with?
I reckon there's a fair chance that more of the German public might start thinking " hang on a minute, what are we doing all this for?" We might well see the Germans emerge as the next big Euro sceptic country?

Evenin
Yep, it's going to be really interesting to see if Germany can start asserting itself on a National stage....though it might feel a bit self conscious of appearances.
If it can't: Then the cracks could become fissures. Its Banks are looking very fragile. The rest of the EU's economic performance is looking unresponsive, but still hungry for handouts. The early signs of a German economic downturn are growing ( I see Audi shed 9500 jobs in Germany recently, along with reduced shifts for Ford in its German Plant.) Then they've got Macron trying to throw France's weight around.
If we make an Economic success of ourselves outside the EU, the Germans might cast an envious eye as they realise whose company they've saddled themselves with?
I reckon there's a fair chance that more of the German public might start thinking " hang on a minute, what are we doing all this for?" We might well see the Germans emerge as the next big Euro sceptic country?
Einen Alternativ fuer Deutschland perhaps. No I don't think they'll take the latter line, they are committed Europeans after all, but the distinctions that Brexit has thrown up of being anti EU rather than anti European will become more stark. That will have to be beaten back with the twin critiques of Populism ( whose incidentally?) and progress ( is it?). The old arguments of who's not for us is agin us will come out of the loopholes.

In terms of the economic resurgence post depression It won't be like normal since the EU has already determined that everything has to match up with Paris on climawandell. Note that it's not Brussels or Berlin, but Paris. The French have stolen the PR limelight. Can Van der Leyen keep a lid on that? I doubt it. The EU now has a major problem because is Germany to take the twin hits or reduced manufacturing capacity/increased unemployment and losing control of the ECB. That would imply that they are no longer the engine room-if not-who is?

Latest Threads