The Brexit Consequences Thread

Up to a point... irrelevant though because it's effectively a paper tiger.

To and fro. On H&S things we and a few other nations lead against the wishes of Southern Europeans and Eastern Europeans.

I'd presume similar dynamics apply in other areas.
In making your point that we have nothing to fear from EU lawmaking preeminence- you reinforce the view that the EU is a colossal waste of money.
If the WTD is “unenforcible” and a “paper tiger,” how much money was sunk into drafting and disseminating it and what was the point?

Face it. The EU is a massive bag of bollocks.

But you agree it was forced on the UK against its wishes?

ETA right let's try another bit of EU bollocks.

truck speed limiters.

The speed limit for LGVs is 60mpg on motorways and dual carriageways.

The EU insists that truck speeds must be limited to 56mph (actually they wanted 53 but the UK insisted on the upper tolerance figure of 56)

Why?
I think it was actually 85kph but the UK got it to 90kph.

It was introduced to force drivers to drive 'economically'. Because the European Union didn't think that haulage firms would self police the fuel use of their drivers.

You mean the Qualified Majority system that gives EU states with larger populations, such as the UK, even more say in decisions?
That isn't how the European Union is set up.

The system was deliberately stacked against countries with larger populations to avoid them having too much say in decisions. The very reverse of what you are trying to imply is the case.

This is why it is embarrassing and cringeworthy to watch some European Union supporters. They have no idea what they are talking about and say it far too loud and often.

Debatable point.

The man himself is vile.
And you know this how?

The man is surrounded by more 'fake news' than any other president.

He also does not, in any way by the look of it, attempt to control media or its opinions of him. WYSISYG.

I'd rather have a known vile individual than a polished, unknown individual.

Truxx

LE
I think it was actually 85kph but the UK got it to 90kph.

It was introduced to force drivers to drive 'economically'. Because the European Union didn't think that haulage firms would self police the fuel use of their drivers.
I simply cited it as another law (via regulation) foisted upon us.

I could debate all day over the merit or otherwise of this and hundreds of other examples but the fact remains that the EU and the many beaurocratic enginerooms therein have wriggled themseves into everyday life in a wholly cancerous way.

The EU method of democracy is fine for those countries that want it. I personally do not want it for my country. I feel our method of democracy is a better fit for the people of this nation. It is what we know.
point to note, most of those country’s have a history of living under or actively embracing dictatorships and democracy isn’t as engrained in their mindset.

In making your point that we have nothing to fear from EU lawmaking preeminence- you reinforce the view that the EU is a colossal waste of money.
If the WTD is “unenforcible” and a “paper tiger,” how much money was sunk into drafting and disseminating it and what was the point?

Face it. The EU is a massive bag of bollocks.

Well... the WTD operates in the other 27.

The French are very keen on their short hours and having worked for a Frog outfit, on a UK contract, they have a point. Life's better on a 40 odd hour week than on a 60 odd hour week and their productivity is better than ours.

The uk Gov didn't want WTD for all sorts of reasons.

Truxx

LE

The French are very keen on their short hours and having worked for a Frog outfit, on a UK contract, they have a point. Life's better on a 40 odd hour week than on a 60 odd hour week and their productivity is better than ours.

40 hours? Are you having a giraff?

Which is why they are revolting about the fact that Macron wants to get rid of the 38 hour week.
It is unsustainable in its present form.
I've worked a 60 hour week several times.
it broke the back of my mortgage and I was very happy about that.

Which is why they are revolting about the fact that Macron wants to get rid of the 38 hour week.
It is unsustainable in its present form.
I've worked a 60 hour week several times.
it broke the back of my mortgage and I was very happy about that.

Aye, i just did 12 months of 65+ hour weeks.

Nice little earner at £550 a day. Not so good for family life but the bigger picture is worth it.

I am extraordinarily pleased to have had a pay rise and go to 37.5 hour week for my current gig, as you'd imagine. Apparently there's a thing called "evening" where you can hang around with your wife and kids. I'd forgotten all about it.

I like the ability to ignore the WTD, from a selfish perspective, but I'm uneasy about its routine abuse by employers.

Aye, i just did 12 months of 65+ hour weeks.

Nice little earner at £550 a day. Not so good for family life but the bigger picture is worth it.

I am extraordinarily pleased to have had a pay rise and go to 37.5 hour week for my current gig, as you'd imagine. Apparently there's a thing called "evening" where you can hang around with your wife and kids. I'd forgotten all about it.

I like the ability to ignore the WTD, from a selfish perspective, but I'm uneasy about its routine abuse by employers.
How is it routinely abused?

How is it routinely abused?

Agencies putting people on work normally include the opt out in their contract documents. No signature, no work. This removes the genuinely desirable element of choice to do longer hours, which thee and me both appreciate, and puts the employer in a position to dictate hours.

Agencies putting people on work normally include the opt out in their contract documents. No signature, no work. This removes the genuinely desirable element of choice to do longer hours, which thee and me both appreciate, and puts the employer in a position to dictate hours.
Yup, standard practice to get round a stupid law.
Work just about any shift system, especially 4 on 4 off and you fall foul of it.
I have no problem and know no one who had.

Puts the employer in a position to dictate hours.
I've never understood that argument. An employer provides employment. If you don't like it, go self employed. It's like the "Right to work", never understood that. No one has a right to work.

I've never understood that argument. An employer provides employment. If you don't like it, go self employed. It's like the "Right to work", never understood that. No one has a right to work.
Now you've hit the nail on the head.
No one has the right to wealth, health and happiness. You may be allowed to try for them.
Human rights do not exist unless you yourself are prepared to fight for them.

The boss of Next, Simon Wolfson, says that a no-deal Brexit wouldn’t lead to chaos. He would still like a deal but is happier that the government and civil service are much better prepared- and thinks that a deal is likelier in the light of such preparations.

Latest Threads