The Brexit Consequences Thread

Just slightly more useful than the unelected House of Lords who are a complete waste of rations.
That would be the House of Lords who put paid to Tony Blair's "yeah, let's lock people up for 90 days without trial"? Because without the HoL, you'd have that in law by now.

There's a need for a second chamber who specifically aren't elected, who don't need to worry about their job. I rather like the concept that they can turn around to the CORGI of the day, and say "nah, it's a sh!t idea, p!ss off".

I's always interesting that Thatcher hated them for what they blocked when she stopped listening; and Blair hated them for what they blocked when he stopped listening. Equal-opportunity "blocking the will of elected MPs", I rather like it...

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
That would be the House of Lords who put paid to Tony Blair's "yeah, let's lock people up for 90 days without trial"? Because without the HoL, you'd have that in law by now.

There's a need for a second chamber who specifically aren't elected, who don't need to worry about their job. I rather like the concept that they can turn around to the CORGI of the day, and say "nah, it's a sh!t idea, p!ss off".

I's always interesting that Thatcher hated them for what they blocked when she stopped listening; and Blair hated them for what they blocked when he stopped listening. Equal-opportunity "blocking the will of elected MPs", I rather like it...
If you continued reading thre thread you will see that I confirmed that a second chamber is needed, just not the unbalanced, unelected Lords now in place. FFS the Liberals are a force in the Lord's yet only have 12 MPs. A second chamber is essential, as I think the lot at Holyrood seem intent on proving

If you continued reading thre thread you will see that I confirmed that a second chamber is needed, just not the unbalanced, unelected Lords now in place. FFS the Liberals are a force in the Lord's yet only have 12 MPs. A second chamber is essential, as I think the lot at Holyrood seem intent on proving
I do not believe a 2nd Chamber is needed. Certainly the HoL in its current guise needs to go.

Boot the lot straight into the Thames and replace them with a cabinet of the best lawyers in the Country. Make it a fixed 5 year term, with very strict during and after employment terms and conditions.

Pay a salary that is taxable, rather than the £350 a day + expenses that is non-taxable. What a fookin joke that is.

Then the cull can start in the HoC.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I do not believe a 2nd Chamber is needed. Certainly the HoL in its current guise needs to go.

Boot the lot straight into the Thames and replace them with a cabinet of the best lawyers in the Country. Make it a fixed 5 year term, with very strict during and after employment terms and conditions.

Pay a salary that is taxable, rather than the £350 a day + expenses that is non-taxable. What a fookin joke that is.

Who would appoint these super lawyers? Plus you would just get the dross who can't make big bucks in legal work.

Fixed five year tour, in line with HofC? Won't work and needs an overview if the whole process, I would say 10 years Mac with compulsory retirement at 70, no re-election. However I would not like to see the second chamber even more at the gift of politicians than current. Elected chamber is what is needed with elections out of kilter with the Commons.

Last edited:

it was like that when we had heredity peers.

now it's full of political flunkies and no marks.

Who would appoint these super lawyers?
The Attorney general - He can live or die by his appointments.

Plus you would just get the gross who can't make big bucks in legal work.
Dross need not apply.

Elected chamber is what is needed with elections out of kilter with the Commons.
What is needed is a committee of legal experts, chaired by the Attorney General, to ensure that legal f@ck-ups like the £33 million EuroTunnel fiasco never happens again.

HoC is full of elected people, many of whom are lawyers. That does not appear to be working out too well.

One could argue that its good for democracy to hold up to the light our law makers. Also that parliament regardless of how foolish they may appear are held to account and that they hold the govt to account as that is what we pay them to do!
Or you could just say that they are all useless cnuts!
Except in this case it was engineered to a certain extent. The line goes something like this.
The Government votes remain
The Government accept the outcome of the Referendum
The opposition agrees.
The Millerites say you can't do it like that
Parliament then agrees A 50.

At that point there should have been mass resignations on both sides of the house on the basis that they can't accept the party whips. Instead they gang up on the Government. Now I can understand the TWO sided nature of the backstop in terms of guarantees,( which as I've pointed out before are implicit in the WA) what I cannot understand is the pointless concept of the EU not being able to bring it's self to limiting, what it does not itself want. That is the point of the deal. Deal=No Backstop. Add to this that the Backstop is more relevant to trade talks-which haven't started yet, but as to our relationship with Europe-well that's now soured, this is not now about Brexit, this is far more about the EU domination of Europe.

I say chaps, I had word with the points man, Fwwwwwwightfully sorry. Points reset.

ugly

LE
Except in this case it was engineered to a certain extent. The line goes something like this.
The Government votes remain
The Government accept the outcome of the Referendum
The opposition agrees.
The Millerites say you can't do it like that
Parliament then agrees A 50.

At that point there should have been mass resignations on both sides of the house on the basis that they can't accept the party whips. Instead they gang up on the Government. Now I can understand the TWO sided nature of the backstop in terms of guarantees,( which as I've pointed out before are implicit in the WA) what I cannot understand is the pointless concept of the EU not being able to bring it's self to limiting, what it does not itself want. That is the point of the deal. Deal=No Backstop. Add to this that the Backstop is more relevant to trade talks-which haven't started yet, but as to our relationship with Europe-well that's now soured, this is not now about Brexit, this is far more about the EU domination of Europe.
Whilst it would have been nice to see a cull of the lazy b'stards making them work, turn upmand debate stuff is in their jd.Resigning the whip has happened, my local mp a lib dem said he would represent our view and as it went against the party line he has resiged the whip! He will be re elected should be be allowed to stand next time. I would vote for him as an independent but not a lib dem!
Proper resignations only result in byelections and destabalising of the parliament at what is an important time.
Its a pity this isn't the NAAFI

I think the best way would be an elected panel of people with no political affiliations, say 6 from each constituency from which the second chamber is chosen at random...a bit like jury service. The whole point would be to clip the wings of the party machines.

A sign of things to come?

A fuel protest leader today threatened to blockade Holyhead Port if the Government fails to come up with "a clear path through" Brexit tonight.

Ian Charlesworth, who runs the newly-created 970-strong Brexit Protest and Direct Action Group facebook page, warned patience with the Government was running out and his group would "show the EU what a hard border is".

The 55-year-old from Deeside was a prominent campaigner at the Stanlow Oil refinery protests against rising fuel prices and go-slow drives along the A55, M56 and M53 in 2011.

Mr Charlesworth also played a role in the 2000 Stanlow fuel protests led by farmer Brynle Williams, who later became a North Wales AM.

He said his new group was also prepared to blockade other key locations across the UK in protest at Parliament's handling of Brexit.

And he claimed it would take only four vehicles to block Holyhead's port, which are poised to go at short notice - potentially bringing traffic to the Irish Republic to a standstill.

A sign of things to come?

I think this is exactly what you say; a sign of things to come. Even I'm irate and I understand that the WA is only a transition deal. I am not known for hyperbole, hotheadedness or 'losing it', but a lengthy postponement or even cancellation of Brexit would be the biggest betrayal of democracy in British history.

I would be tempted to hit the streets in protest or even participate in disobedience, so I can imagine that those that are more easily incensed are just raring to go. It will not be pretty.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I think this is exactly what you say; a sign of things to come. Even I'm irate and I understand that the WA is only a transition deal. I am not known for hyperbole, hotheadedness or 'losing it', but a lengthy postponement or even cancellation of Brexit would be the biggest betrayal of democracy in British history.

I would be tempted to hit the streets in protest or even participate in disobedience, so I can imagine that those that are more easily incensed are just raring to go. It will not be pretty.
There’s a March this w/e in London, see wordsmith for details. Get out there and help it look less like a a couple of people out for a walk.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
There’s a March this w/e in London, see wordsmith for details. Get out there and help it look less like a a couple of people out for a walk.
The march is actually on 29th March, but you carry on.

The march is actually on 29th March, but you carry on.
Shame you told him mate, it would've been funny if he'd turned up and it looked like a single person out for a walk

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin Brexit 63
L Brexit 43
Murphy_Slaw Brexit 137