The Brexit Consequences Thread

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
And while I was out there
Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Edit
The gist being.

Today’s FT. Bank of America’s spending 400m on brexit preparation. 800 people in Dublin, 500 in Paris.
‘Multiply that by the number of financial institutions that are doing the same thing and it adds up’.

Dublin is our HQ for European bank now, full stop. There isn’t a return. That bridge has been pulled up. From a trading perspective likewise, Paris would be oureuropean trading arm.

Last edited:
Here we go. Hannah championed this one, a £150m loan for s factory in Turkey. It wasn't to relocate. Ford were closing the Southampton factory.
Hannons claim described as 'tendentious'
The EIB who made the loan also funds Crossrail, the Midland Met Hospital and also leant Ford £450m to develop greener vehicles in the uk

It's not the story but how you spin it.
No spin, read my other post, or does the truth hurt, it was for £80 million, applied for in 2011, agreed 2012 before Fords announced the closure of Southampton, don't worry your little brain, it was only a 1000 UK jobs, transfered outside the EU, with EU funds !

In case you missed it, those loans were made to a member of the EU (UK), Turkey isn't a member of the EU.

Instead of dispensing it's largesse, maybe the EU could get back our 16% holding in the EIB, that they say they can't repay for at least 20 years ?

No spin, read my other post, or does the truth hurt, it was for £80 million, applied for in 2011, agreed 2012 before Fords announced the closure of Southampton, don't worry your little brain, it was only a 1000 UK jobs, transfered outside the EU, with EU funds !

In case you missed it, those loans were made to a member of the EU (UK), Turkey isn't a member of the EU.

Instead of dispensing it's largesse, maybe the EU could get back our 16% holding in the EIB, that they say they can't repay for at least 20 years ?
I do believe you dismissed this out of hand the last time it came up, interesting sequence of events for anyone interested.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer

This has been done and it’s been debunked. In here and elsewhere, ignoring it doesn’t make you right. There’s a guy out there who’s covered this from way back.

Good man @Graculus its the ‘One Ford’ plan. Which is where the whole thing starts.

If people can't understand that the margins on car manufacture are thin at best, and can't understand a 10% increase on vehicles will damage sales, then they need their heads looking at.

NMUK will crack on as before with the Qashqai doing well but as for bidding for new models, we'll be at a disadvantage.

This has been done and it’s been debunked. In here and elsewhere, ignoring it doesn’t make you right. There’s a guy out there who’s covered this from way back.

Good man @Graculus its the ‘One Ford’ plan. Which is where the whole thing starts.
Ignoring facts doesn't make them go away, you know !

Ignore the pundits, try reading local Southampton newspapers to get the lowdown or, as I said check out Hansard, or even the EU Parliamentary minutes.

Wall to wall, but you just stand there with your fingers in your ears (the normal Remainer mode), and I'm the one with lacking credibility ?

If people can't understand that the margins on car manufacture are thin at best, and can't understand a 10% increase on vehicles will damage sales, then they need their heads looking at.

NMUK will crack on as before with the Qashqai doing well but as for bidding for new models, we'll be at a disadvantage.

This is the French controlled Nissan that missed the small turbo charged petrol engine market?

ugly

LE
JLR vehicles, etc, etc
They wont be made here soon anyway and TATA's plan was always to move production to Asia. They will cost the same to import into the Eu as if they were made here post Brexit but less to the UK as we will be outside the Eu. So what is your point?
None that matters to the UK post Brexit!

This is the French controlled Nissan that missed the small turbo charged petrol engine market?
Your point being?

I'm haven't read anything from your good self about how you prophesised the reduction of the diesel market. Or maybe you did and you're raking it in.

You knows?

I think these days Ford UK doesn't build whole vehicles. They provide engines and other bits to plants elsewhere.

Obviously additional tariffs will tend to put those jobs in jeopardy, as you and many others say.
The only things Ford build in the UK are engines. At their plants in Dagenham and Bridgend. A lot of diesel engines and EcoBoost petrol engines.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
It's pretty grim when you have to do all the hard work yourself
At last a brexit benefit. No more embarrassing sights like this pro brexit march in Manchester.

Did Ford get a loan for it's Turkey plant?

Did Ford close it's Southampton plant at around the same time?
Stop trying to outdo manofmanynames in the international effwit comptetion, it's embarrassing to watch.

Your post makes as much sense as me saying that Brexit is the sole cause of the Nissan Xtrail decision. There are multiple factors at work in both cases.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Auld-Yin Brexit 3187
L Brexit 43
Murphy_Slaw Brexit 138