The Brexit Consequences Thread

Shock news Labour MP says something sensible about Brexit

During all my years as an MP, the interest shown by most of my colleagues in Northern Ireland has been minimal. The Labour Party even had to be taken to court by a trade unionist in Belfast before it finally allowed citizens of Northern Ireland to join. Even with over a thousand members there, the party still disallows Labour candidates to stand in elections. So it has been rather ironic that in the Brexit debate Labour MPs have been queuing up to mention Northern Ireland. What happens at the border after we leave the EU has become the ‘big sticking point’ causing the Prime Minister to make commitments to backstops that few understand and even fewer support.

The repeatedly stated aim of the EU, the UK and the Irish government is to avoid creating a hard border. They never actually define what a hard border is, but I assume that they mean not having huge structures acting as barriers with flashing lights and cameras as used to be there. It is conveniently forgotten that those barriers were only there when the IRA was active, bombing and killing our soldiers and police officers. A border is there at the moment, although not visible. The Irish Republic has different excise duties, VAT rates and currency to the UK. Yet all those differences are handled remotely by technology and pre-paperwork. If intelligence arouses suspicion about smuggling, the vehicle will be stopped. In other words, with good will and cooperation, there is no need for any new structures.

The Irish government, in cahoots with the EU, has deliberately made the border an issue and unfortunately our Prime Minister and her officials have fallen for it completely by agreeing to a backstop that would see NI being treated differently to the rest of the UK. By implying that the peace process is threatened by a hard border, even though no-one has said they will build it, is scaremongering of the worst kind. The EU wants to keep us locked in to their regulations and rules: the Irish government is playing hardball even though it would suffer most if the UK were to leave on WTO rules. The Irish PM has behaved rather shamefully with some of his rhetoric and is clearly intent on becoming a future EU commissioner.

" Yet all those differences are handled remotely by technology and pre-paperwork. If intelligence arouses suspicion about smuggling, the vehicle will be stopped. In other words, with good will and cooperation, there is no need for any new structures."
Yet this morning on GMB we were told these structures do not exist by experts. When I started in Customs proper in 1978 my team was the old Customs Intelligence team dealing partly with the int coming from the Irish border in relation to rustling, cattle and sheep, animal passports greyhounds and Horses, illicit potcheen distilleries. Quite apart from Gunrunning which was taken by SB/the Military. Some of that was coming from Army and from our colleagues on the ILB. The numbers of times the IRA had phoned our customs points became a joke. The reality is that this has always been a one sided affair. What is being peddled by remain is misinformation pure and simple

We are where we are

The Vote didn't carry a significant majority
But the Government ( indeed Westminster) in its Hubris committed to a 50+1= That's what we will do.

The Final peoples vote is a no go
1) we the people vote to reject the Brexit deal -
2) Despite all the only have to tear up article 50 to stop it commentary - its been made clear that we will be renegotiating to remain in - rebate will go - possibly obliged to sign up to Schengen etc
3) The EU Deal to remain is not what was originally agreed to remain to - therefore we need to vote to see if we accept the new remain deal.

Leaving us further in Limbo

First personal Brexit consequence for me. Just got an email from one of the places I've applied for a job to and where I was just invited for a final interview (after 3rounds of phone/ virtual etc.) next week and for which I was a very strong candidate. They said they're pushing back the hiring of the role to Q1 next year because of "general economic uncertainty."...and knowing they are heavily dependant on EU biz, I am pretty sure that's what they mean.

Or maybe they think I am shit and just had a change of heart at last minute. Either way, a bit pissed.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
First personal Brexit consequence for me. Just got an email from one of the places I've applied for a job to and where I was just invited for a final interview (after 3rounds of phone/ virtual etc.) next week and for which I was a very strong candidate. They said they're pushing back the hiring of the role to Q1 next year because of "general economic uncertainty."...and knowing they are heavily dependant on EU biz, I am pretty sure that's what they mean.

Or maybe they think I am shit and just had a change of heart at last minute. Either way, a bit pissed.
Or maybe, just maybe, they want someone who can spell honour, colour and rumour correctly :mrgreen:

Yeah, that'll be it. Did that cheer you up for the weekend?;) Kidding.

The Mrs was offered a top job at HSBC in the UK, flew her in for interviews, she was wined and dined, the headhunter is a longtime mate of her's and told her the job was in the bag. Just going through the terms and conditions negotiations and it all went quiet. The headhunter was at a loss, not a clue what was happening.

A week later it was all off. The headhunter spoke to the Mrs, and the bloke at the bank called to explain that HSBC was re-structuring and re-thinking its way ahead with brexit - they have already moved lots to Frankfurt and Paris out of the City.

And why would you stay when the european bank is in Frankfurt.

I'll go with you're a bitvshit & had a change of heart

Yeah, that'll be it. Did that cheer you up for the weekend?;) Kidding.

The Mrs was offered a top job at HSBC in the UK, flew her in for interviews, she was wined and dined, the headhunter is a longtime mate of her's and told her the job was in the bag. Just going through the terms and conditions negotiations and it all went quiet. The headhunter was at a loss, not a clue what was happening.

A week later it was all off. The headhunter spoke to the Mrs, and the bloke at the bank called to explain that HSBC was re-structuring and re-thinking its way ahead with brexit - they have already moved lots to Frankfurt and Paris out of the City.

And why would you stay when the european bank is in Frankfurt.

Not the first example either. I was talking to my ex-boss at my old firm and they have decided to freeze hiring for a couple of months as well, because of Brexit. They are actually a European (Austrian) firm based in London.

I am not even drinking, to cry my sorrows!

Not the first example either. I was talking to my ex-boss at my old firm and they have decided to freeze hiring for a couple of months as well, because of Brexit. They are actually a European (Austrian) firm based in London.

Someone needs to get this shit on the side of a bus - pronto.

Well please tell me when the Limeys institute the dollar menu at McDonald's! That will be a sign that they are on their way to destination fecked!

I was talking to a pavement beggar outside HSBC cash machine. He's worried the bank is moving staff to Frankfurt and branch closing. He wants to get a few quid together so he can also go there. He reckons there's no future for finance in The City anymore. :cool:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CptDanjou Brexit 312
S11Blade Brexit 474
B Medals 22