The Brexit Consequences Thread

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
I hope and pray there is no 'improvement' in the situation. Next March, let church bells ring!

I hope and pray there is no 'improvement' in the situation. Next March, let church bells ring!
Funny you should say that, but I was dragged shopping by the missus in Yorkshire and a gaggle of grannies were buying a load of union jack bunting and proudly proclaiming that they were buying it for a Brexit party

Somehow I don't think they were remoaners

scary when you think about it.

you'd think a school of economics would know about 'supply and demand'.

mind you, I met some of lse's finest in Cowes. What a bunch of tw*ts.
We all know they knew, but the millions they get from the EU drove their findings.

It kinda undermines my trust in what should really be a trusted establishment.

Reality has proven them wrong, but I thought at the time that their findings were dodgy.

All along I have been ~ 52% leave and 48% remain (-ish) [I know: How very average of me.], but after this latest meeting, I am 90% "Show them the V sign and tell them to stick up their cul/Arschloch!"

What a bunch of F'in hoods! F**k 'em!

We all know they knew, but the millions they get from the EU drove their findings.

It kinda undermines my trust in what should really be a trusted establishment.

Reality has proven them wrong, but I thought at the time that their findings were dodgy.
Making it all up again?
Read the latest Oxford Economics study or the UCL if you don't want to believe the LSE.
Now, can you give me any reliable source on the fact that EU migrants actually cost the UK a lot more, and I mean reputable links not things like Migration Watch or Full Fact.
Just a snippet
The average UK-based migrant from Europe contributed approximately £2,300 more to UK public finances in 2016/17 than the average UK adult. In comparison, each UK born adult contributed £70 less than the average, and each non-European migrant contributed over £800 less than the average.
(I put that in bold so you can see what you have to look forward to)

You can, of course, read the whole report here if you want (but you probably won't because it doesn't fit in with your preconceived ideas).
Oxford Economics

Or the UCL report (I'll leave you to find that if you are really interested rather than just a spittle fuelled retort).
Actually, no I won't. You won't even bother as it wasn't written on the side of a bus.
UCL EU migration

However, the absolute certainty that some Arrsers are totally right because they are experts and have carried out their own surveys (well, they asked Tony up the pub) trump the so-called experts in the field who actually do know what they are talking about and have invested time and research into their findings.

But it's all BS, isn't it? After all, they are all financed by the nasty EU.

Making it all up again?
Read the latest Oxford Economics study or the UCL if you don't want to believe the LSE.
Now, can you give me any reliable source on the fact that EU migrants actually cost the UK a lot more, and I mean reputable links not things like Migration Watch or Full Fact.
Just a snippet
The average UK-based migrant from Europe contributed approximately £2,300 more to UK public finances in 2016/17 than the average UK adult. In comparison, each UK born adult contributed £70 less than the average, and each non-European migrant contributed over £800 less than the average.

You can, of course, read the whole report here if you want (but you probably won't because it doesn't fit in with your preconceived ideas).
Oxford Economics

Or the UCL report (I'll leave you to find that if you are really interested rather than just a spittle fuelled retort).
Actually, no I won't. You won't even bother as it wasn't written on the side of a bus.
UCL EU migration

However, the absolute certainty that some Arrsers are totally right because they are experts and have carried out their own surveys (well, they asked Tony up the pub) trump the so-called experts in the field who actually do know what they are talking about and have invested time and research into their findings.

You've jumped in with both feet - and some effort - without understanding what the discussion was about.

It was about the LSE claiming that EU migrants don't negatively effect UK wages.

Now what are you dribbling on about?

Making it all up again?
Just a snippet

Oxford Economics

UCL EU migration

Where does it say in those reports if migrants do or do not suppress wages?

Most of the science that tells us that we ought to replace our running shoes, every 300 miles, with the correct over-engineered proscribed shoe, is funded, funnily enough by running shoe companies.

The little science that's done by objective - non running shoe company funded - scientists, tell us there's no evidence that these over-engineered running shoes help prevent injury.

Now, tell me, do the Oxford Economics receive EU funding?

I'd like to find out if they have a bias.

Now, tell me, do the Oxford Economics receive EU funding?

I'd like to find out if they have a bias.
Oxford’s dependence on EU funds revealed

The Department of Economics and the Department of Politics and International Relations had smaller but still significant figures, with 26 per cent and 14 per cent respectively.

A spokesperson for the Department of Economics told Cherwell: “In the long-term, it is important for the Department of Economics, as for the University of Oxford as a whole, that agreement is reached on the UK’s continued participation in EU funding for research.”

No idea. Now try and find me one that says they do.
Of course, when wages double next year we'll know the answer, won't we?
It was you quoting Whey_Aye_Banzai

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Oxford’s dependence on EU funds revealed

The Department of Economics and the Department of Politics and International Relations had smaller but still significant figures, with 26 per cent and 14 per cent respectively.

A spokesperson for the Department of Economics told Cherwell: “In the long-term, it is important for the Department of Economics, as for the University of Oxford as a whole, that agreement is reached on the UK’s continued participation in EU funding for research.”
Meaning, we don't bother with al that academic integrity stuff, we are happy being the EU's paid sock puppet and don't want to lose that.

No idea. Now try and find me one that says they do.
Of course, when wages double next year we'll know the answer, won't we?
Wages have already risen; the BBC analysis said it was caused by a drop in EU migration.

Zero hour contracts have dropped too.

It's all a bit of a surprise really; a drop in EU migration, a tighter labour force, equals wage inflation, plus better terms and conditions.

And the pro-EU LSE, who receive millions in funding from the EU, reckoned that EU migration had no negative effect on UK wages.

As I said earlier, it just undermines your trust in any EU funded academic establishment because they tell fibs.

Wages have already risen; the BBC analysis said it was caused by a drop in EU migration.

Zero hour contracts have dropped too.

It's all a bit of a surprise really; a drop in EU migration, a tighter labour force, equals wage inflation, plus better terms and conditions.

And the pro-EU LSE, who receive millions in funding from the EU, reckoned that EU migration had no negative effect on UK wages.

As I said earlier, it just undermines your trust in any EU funded academic establishment because they tell fibs.

A drying up in the bouyant pool of overqualified but needing to work for minimum wage (tax credits) Eastern European care workers has caused an upswing in wages in my area.
Wages are rising, employers are now paying to send their staff on higher level training courses, and no, no noticeable shortage of staff as the EU workers dry up.
Funny that - higher wages, training opportunities and voila! British workers are happy to take the jobs.

Funny you should say that, but I was dragged shopping by the missus in Yorkshire and a gaggle of grannies were buying a load of union jack bunting and proudly proclaiming that they were buying it for a Brexit party

Somehow I don't think they were remoaners
Yeah! grannies ******* shit up for their younger off spring!