• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

The Brexit Consequences Thread

When you e finished patting herself on the back, try and remember this...

It’s the Irish Government in Dublin that’s going to have to impose, emplacement and enforce a hard border under the UKs proposals.

So, you’ve got a few choices,.....

Side with the EU and put up a border.... the sight of Gardai overseeing contractors putting up an o’irish curtain will be rather politically toxic

Or let everything through and the EU will crucify you for acting like a tax free back door into EUtopia
Ah jaysus no....we're just going to blame you anyway.....perfidious Albion is a wonderful catch all. :highfive:

Revealed: Government's EU27 gambit to maintain existing air and road links

The document, sent to EU capitals, says bilateral deals are required "as soon as possible… in the interests of public safety".
By Faisal Islam, political editor
The government has acknowledged in private diplomatic letters to every EU capital that a "no-deal" Brexit may mean "practical changes" need to be negotiated with each EU capital "in order to continue existing air service and road transport arrangements".
It says bilateral deals are required "as soon as possible… in the interests of public safety".
The letter, dated from last week and obtained by Sky News, is one of 27 sent by Transport Secretary Chris Grayling to fellow European transport ministers as part of an attempt to reach around the Brussels negotiations and strike a series of "no-deal" agreements with individual member states.
It is the clearest acknowledgement that the government does see a risk to continuity of transport services after Brexit, unless there is a deal, or over two dozen separate "no-deal" deals with EU capitals, for which talks have not even begun.

I'm old enough to remember when the Taoiseach Leo Varadkar (Peace be upon him) brought this up a while back and we had the Sun, the express and indeed chaps on here saying the bogwogs were talking shite......

Vindication gets me aroused....

I'm old enough to remember when the Taoiseach Leo Varadkar (Peace be upon him) brought this up a while back and we had the Sun, the express and indeed chaps on here saying the bogwogs were talking shite......

Vindication gets me aroused....
If you'd listened to the like of me- we were saying that the EU had no part in those talks in the beginning, since they are bilateral agreements between countries, have been for donkeys and in some cases precede their joining the EU. Juncker has just wasted two years in admitting the blindingly obvious.

More Brexit bad news :rolleyes::

Wages rise faster than expected

Proving Project Fear wrong - yet again.

You seriously miss the point. Wage rises have consistently lagged behind the inflation rate and your one blip does not prove anything else. Normal service has been reumed, there was nothing other than a slight lag.
Real wage squeeze deepens as UK inflation hits six-month high of 2.7% – as it happened

Got to say project fear is looking pretty much like project reality. JLR, the we haven't a clue plan of the Tories, the current rate of growth falling behind the EU. There is nothing to be said for this bloody shambles.

If it is any consolation . . . the humiliation of seeing the UK's and PMTM negotiating positions slip-sliding-away, makes me very quite prepared to support a UK (eventual) decision to just walk away, and persue a "Hard BREXIT".

If one were to view the situation positively, one might conclude that the Govt were/are - in fact - preparing us, positioning us, for that very outcome!! . . . the Govt being able to turn round and justifiably say "We tried everything. We were reasonable. We have no alternative"!

;) .
Re-post of a suggestion originally voiced 20 JULY 2018 . . .

If it is any consolation . . . the humiliation of seeing the UK's and PMTM negotiating positions slip-sliding-away, makes me quite prepared to support a UK (eventual) decision to just walk away, and persue a "Hard BREXIT".

If one were to view the situation positively, one might conclude that the Govt were/are - in fact - preparing us, positioning us, for that very outcome!! . . . the Govt being able to turn round and justifiably say "We tried everything. We were reasonable. We have no alternative"!

Last edited: