The Brexit Consequences Thread

Which is again a good indication that it tends to be the UK implementation (or not) of EU laws and regulations, not the laws and regulations themselves that is the main issue surrounding immigration from the EU!
6 of one Half a dozen of the other, the implication in the pre Tory years was using the EU to cut costs without considering the implications. The Tories’ can’t be blamed for axing Customs or immigration issues nor the assiduous assurance on HR , so actually we have been adhering to EU regulation, not failing to. It’s a lazy excuse.

6 of one Half a dozen of the other, the implication in the pre Tory years was using the EU to cut costs without considering the implications. The Tories’ can’t be blamed for axing Customs or immigration issues nor the assiduous assurance on HR , so actually we have been adhering to EU regulation, not failing to. It’s a lazy excuse.
I disagree, it's the implementation that's the issue not the regulation, yes various governments, including the tories, have "saved" money on the back of that implementation but that was entirely their responsibility, can't blame the EU for the standard of UK politicians, they didn't vote them in!

I disagree, it's the implementation that's the issue not the regulation, yes various governments, including the tories, have "saved" money on the back of that implementation but that was entirely their responsibility, can't blame the EU for the standard of UK politicians, they didn't vote them in!
Well you can’t have it both ways. Either the EU made it possible for the brits to adopt that position or it didn’t . The reality is that U.K gov was urged to adopt it’s position on the basis of ever closer political union and thus a transfer of responsibilities or it wasn’t . There are two strands to this
1. The Cold War savings
2 The Lisbon treaty.
The two issues are inextricably linked. However it’s also convenient to forget that the initial cuts were made by Labour as a result of the banking crisis, which was incidental in timing with Lisbon. Just as the UKBF/NCA are having an increased rate of success ( today’s seizure news) we have more pressure for legalising drugs. I’m afraid there is only one conclusion I can draw from that and it goes hand in hand with trying to remove misuse of drugs from LE and handing it to the mental health budget. It won’t do.

It is, then, somewhat curious to find you permascreeching about Brexit considering how little you actually care for the place.

Expats are curious creatures.
They run away from their homeland because is crap, then many spend all their time hanging around UK websites telling everyone how crap the UK is.
It’s almost as if they are trying to convince themselves they made a smart move....

No, defo English

Apparently, I was told by a USAF colleague; when dubya was governor of Texas, there was a big fuss about providing bibles in Spanish for their schoolchildren of hispanic extraction. It seems George the second said something along the lines of, "I don't know what they're complaining about. If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for them."

Well you can’t have it both ways. Either the EU made it possible for the brits to adopt that position or it didn’t . The reality is that U.K gov was urged to adopt it’s position on the basis of ever closer political union and thus a transfer of responsibilities or it wasn’t . There are two strands to this
1. The Cold War savings
2 The Lisbon treaty.
The two issues are inextricably linked. However it’s also convenient to forget that the initial cuts were made by Labour as a result of the banking crisis, which was incidental in timing with Lisbon. Just as the UKBF/NCA are having an increased rate of success ( today’s seizure news) we have more pressure for legalising drugs. I’m afraid there is only one conclusion I can draw from that and it goes hand in hand with trying to remove misuse of drugs from LE and handing it to the mental health budget. It won’t do.
There are no two positions here! Implementation of national policy is a responsibility of nthe UK government. Implying fault in the EU is ridiculous!

I havent "conveniently" forgotten anything, both main parties share responsibility for this balls-up!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
There are no two positions here! Implementation of national policy is a responsibility of nthe UK government. Implying fault in the EU is ridiculous!

I havent "conveniently" forgotten anything, both main parties share responsibility for this balls-up!
Are you saying that the Laws of this country and political thinking and policy making has not been influenced, indeed dictated in part, by the EU?

What planet have you been on, especially in the last couple of decades?

Are you saying that the Laws of this country and political thinking and policy making has not been influenced, indeed dictated in part, by the EU?

What planet have you been on, especially in the last couple of decades?
No I'm not what a bizarre question, the UK has been central to the development of EU regulations and policy that it has then implemented!

The implementation however is the sole responsibility of the UK government, other MS seem to manage OK!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
No I'm not what a bizarre question, the UK has been central to the development of EU regulations and policy that it has then implemented!

The implementation however is the sole responsibility of the UK government, other MS seem to manage OK!
Do they, all of them? A bit of a sweeping statement to say that such a diverse group of countries and cultures manage change as dictated by the EU in such an off-handed way. Just look at the stories coming out of Italy, Spain, Austria, Poland and others to see the issues are not universally welcome.

I'm afraid you are succumbing to the EU propaganda that Brussels is right in all matters, deviation from the Borg will not be tolerated! :p

No it's not- the implementation of EU policy is what the EU demands of the nations within it, they are, if you like an internationally agreed norm; that means that in reality these things should be harmonised, between all 28 member states. This has failed to happen. Now the EU has policy of animal products but it seems that in breach it's possible for misdescribed fake fur to reach the markets. The reason- no checks carried out in contravention of WTO rules ( a credible customs organisation). Misdescription is in it's fullest sense, a criminal offence. So since the EU controls trade, TFEU it's down to the EU who have no means of carrying out their function. Oh dear!!!! The Goods came in from China!!. Where were the checks carried out as first port of entry into the EU?-probably not even examined. But remember your criticising both parties "for being good Europeans." The argument falls somewhat flat when the counter argument is to take back control at borders.
But in my book there is a basic difference between connivance (Labour) and having your hands tied(Tory)

Little snippet from the Express last week. HO figures 10,129 due to be deported between Jan 2016 and May this Year. 6,237 taken off flights on last minute appeals and court injunctions. Cost per passenger £5,209 per passenger.
Total cost (my calc £32,488,533) or 16.25 Million per financial year, because of misapplication of the EU HR.
You just try getting Legal aid on a minimum wage to fight a bank for subsequent illegal actions in civil court on potentialy criminal matter because the state can't be bothered to implement the consumer right under art 7 or 8 ( right to enjoy property.) Mainly because internal Policy dictates whether the plod investigates unless directed by DPP.

Do they, all of them? A bit of a sweeping statement to say that such a diverse group of countries and cultures manage change as dictated by the EU in such an off-handed way. Just look at the stories coming out of Italy, Spain, Austria, Poland and others to see the issues are not universally welcome.

I'm afraid you are succumbing to the EU propaganda that Brussels is right in all matters, deviation from the Borg will not be tolerated! :p
Certainly better than the balls-up that the UK has managed to make of things!

Strawman argument yet again!

No it's not- the implementation of EU policy is what the EU demands of the nations within it, they are, if you like an internationally agreed norm; that means that in reality these things should be harmonised, between all 28 member states. This has failed to happen. Now the EU has policy of animal products but it seems that in breach it's possible for misdescribed fake fur to reach the markets. The reason- no checks carried out in contravention of WTO rules ( a credible customs organisation). Misdescription is in it's fullest sense, a criminal offence. So since the EU controls trade, TFEU it's down to the EU who have no means of carrying out their function. Oh dear!!!! The Goods came in from China!!. Where were the checks carried out as first port of entry into the EU?-probably not even examined. But remember your criticising both parties "for being good Europeans." The argument falls somewhat flat when the counter argument is to take back control at borders.
But in my book there is a basic difference between connivance (Labour) and having your hands tied(Tory)

Little snippet from the Express last week. HO figures 10,129 due to be deported between Jan 2016 and May this Year. 6,237 taken off flights on last minute appeals and court injunctions. Cost per passenger £5,209 per passenger.
Total cost (my calc £32,488,533) or 16.25 Million per financial year, because of misapplication of the EU HR.
You just try getting Legal aid on a minimum wage to fight a bank for subsequent illegal actions in civil court on potentialy criminal matter because the state can't be bothered to implement the consumer right under art 7 or 8 ( right to enjoy property.) Mainly because internal Policy dictates whether the plod investigates unless directed by DPP.
Yes "they" (actually that should be "we") do demand it, but implementation into national law is the responsibility of the national governments, a job that UK governments seem to be spectacularly bad at!

You seem to be criticising the UK legal system in the second paragraph, not sure how that is relevant!

Who on here really gives a flying fkuc about brexit? It is going to happen, the people of this country voted for it. All this talk about getting a "good deal" is nonsense. The French and Germans who control the EU don't give a fkcu about us, the US don't give a fcku about us so lets just crack on with what we voted for. As for the pathetic RoI well say no more. As for the whiney NI well say even less.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Certainly better than the balls-up that the UK has managed to make of things!

Strawman argument yet again!
Can't disagree that the UK (May/Hammond) has ballsed up the process to date. I do disagree that my response was a straw man argument, totally valid.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Who on here really gives a flying fkuc about brexit? It is going to happen, the people of this country voted for it. All this talk about getting a "good deal" is nonsense. The French and Germans who control the EU don't give a fkcu about us, the US don't give a fcku about us so lets just crack on with what we voted for. As for the pathetic RoI well say no more. As for the whiney NI well say even less.
A nice summation of Brexit - @Good CO will support you fully in that. :D

Can't disagree that the UK (May/Hammond) has ballsed up the process to date. I do disagree that my response was a straw man argument, totally valid.
Whether you think it's valid or not is irrelevant! I suggest you look up the definition of a Strawman argument because you obviously don't know it!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Whether you think it's valid or not is irrelevant! I suggest you look up the definition of a Strawman argument because you obviously don't know it!
Indeed I do but for your benefit here is the definition
Straw man - Wikipedia

Now maybe you can point out how my responding to your post could be considered a straw man argument? You can show your workings in the margins!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CptDanjou Brexit 378
S11Blade Brexit 475
B Medals 22