The Brexit Consequences Thread

It would be a consequence of a "no deal" Brexit and it merely shows that some of the things we all take for granted at the moment could suddenly change. It works both ways and people with DL's from other EU countries would need an international one too when driving in the UK.

That's the thing about "no deal". The UK then exits and crashes out of existing deals without replacing them with other deals. The only reason these articles appear in the papers is because some Brexit headbangers like the Redwoods of this world don't understand that "no deal" is exactly that: no deal. Nothing. In their heads however it seems to mean "out of the EU and of course the common sense bit miraculously remains untouched because we never voted to bin that". But that is either magical thinking or it would mean........ a deal (however bad that deal would be).

There is a solution for everything so it is not impossible. However, the question is whether it all can be done before the end of March 2019.

People who happily pay £14 per person to get a seat together on a plane or pay the £3.50 per day per person tourist tax to go on a booze filled sojourn to Mallorca (or Italy) will baulk at £5.50 for a whole year of driving?
And I should think it would impact on the UK tourist industry as well considering the amount of Continental drivers
visiting.
France gets over 85 million tourists a year. Not sure the few who will refuse to pay £5.50 a year will make much difference (if any).

Yet another man shouts at pigeons story.

Oh, and it took 2 months for DVLA to confirm I had a "right to drive" when I changed my licence. The Post Office has offices in every town (or most) whereas the DVLA not so much.
Why do you think as a foreign resident you should have had preferential treatment from a U.K. gov. agency?

Clue: You don’t live here any more. Just get your Dago passport and have done with the U.K..

The cost to the individual was neither the point of the article, nor my posting of it.

'An official report today reveals details of a plan to massively ramp up the number of International Driving Permits if the UK fails to reach agreement with the EU. But serious backup plans are now under way to issue them to drivers who go to the EU too, the National Audit Office (NAO) said. This would hugely increase the number of IDPs issued per year, from 100,000 to an estimated 7million.

'The number of Post Offices that issue the permits would also have to increase massively, from the current 89 to 4,500 across the country. Today the NAO issued a blunt warning suggesting the plan may not be ready by Brexit Day in March 2019. "As yet, there is no business case and no detailed delivery plans," the NAO declared.

'The watchdog said the Department for Transport only "formally notified" the Post Office of contract changes two months ago, and then only in "outline form". "Since then, the Post Office has been working on its detailed delivery plans for submission to the DVLA and the Department," the NAO said.'
It’s just another pitch by a privatised P.O. to increase its revenue. Yawn.

Ask the many thousands a day who do it.
The old booze cruise may be a thing of the past, though, once customs limits are reintroduced although many did it before.

Just where does the Mirror (and others) get this from? UK licenses were accepted in Europe long before we joined. No-one had heard of an international driving license.
Now, how about me. I had a UK driving licence. Moving to Spain and taking out residency means that I had to change my licence for a Spanish one after two years (the one with the paper counterpart, EU photo licence with a limited expiry date didn't need to be changed unless they ran out).
I got my Spanish DL on the basis of having a UK one. The DVLA had to confirm I was entitled to one before the Spanish trafico would issue me a Spanish one and I had to hand in my UK one.
Now, if all this isn't another load of made up rubbish, would this mean I would need an International Driving Permit to visit UK even though my original licence is lodged with DVLA?
They issued me a Spanish one on the basis I had a UK one but now I can't drive in UK with the Spanish one?

Seems like yet another non-story.
Agree on the non story. Why would it be any different from me going to the US or Canada or half a dozen other countries not in the EU and picking up a hire car at the airport on the basis of an EU driving license. The UK won't/shouldn't be any different in or out of the EU.

Agree on the non story. Why would it be any different from me going to the US or Canada or half a dozen other countries not in the EU and picking up a hire car at the airport on the basis of an EU driving license. The UK won't/shouldn't be any different in or out of the EU.
I used to hire and drive cars in Spain, back in the early 80s. Never asked for an IDL then used the old paper green one so what changed after Maastricht and Lisbon?

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Ask the many thousands a day who do it.
The old booze cruise may be a thing of the past, though, once customs limits are reintroduced although many did it before.

Just where does the Mirror (and others) get this from? UK licenses were accepted in Europe long before we joined. No-one had heard of an international driving license.
Now, how about me. I had a UK driving licence. Moving to Spain and taking out residency means that I had to change my licence for a Spanish one after two years (the one with the paper counterpart, EU photo licence with a limited expiry date didn't need to be changed unless they ran out).
I got my Spanish DL on the basis of having a UK one. The DVLA had to confirm I was entitled to one before the Spanish trafico would issue me a Spanish one and I had to hand in my UK one.
Now, if all this isn't another load of made up rubbish, would this mean I would need an International Driving Permit to visit UK even though my original licence is lodged with DVLA?
They issued me a Spanish one on the basis I had a UK one but now I can't drive in UK with the Spanish one?

Seems like yet another non-story.
Ah. Then I’ve heard that some people ‘lose’ the UK licence. Hand the replacement in. Hang on to the lost one in case of emergency.

This is deplorable state of affairs. And I for one am shocked, shocked.

Nope.

Still banging on about stuff that’s none of your business. You made your choice and left the U.K. Why not complete the circle and get your Dago passport.

Just another ex-pat that can’t let go of their British passport. Tsk tsk tsk
You really are turning into a stupid BOF, aren;t you?
If you know eff all about something, don;t even try to show your ignorance.

Then again, you were a teacher (or so you say) so you're probably used to spinning crap.

FYI.
To get Spanish citizenship, you have to have had residency for a minimum of 10 years.
You then have to show a fluent knowledge of Spanish (which I can) and pass a test on Spanish way of life, history and current affairs. You then have to show an integration into Spanish life like working for a community service, charity or some other such. They don't give citizenship (or residency) to anyone who asks like the UK does.
You then wait a minimum of 3 years and have to swear allegiance to the King and renounce your original nationality. (no dual nationality here).
Now, I love our Queen (who honoured me with an MBE). After 30 years in the Army and still paying around 4 grand a year in taxes to the UK gov, I don't think I'd like to cut off allegiance to Her Maj nor cut my ties to UK where my daughters and grandkids live.

However, with people like you populating the place it's somewhere I don't like going to anymore. A grey little island populated by grey, little people.
Now FOAD.

@exbleep just asking out loud, if you get rescued from a sinking ferry boat 2 miles from Libya and brought to Spain, do they get fast tracked citizenship ?
No, they don;t. They spend 72 hours in a police cell and then get moved to refugee centre (which have been criticised by Liberty as akin to concentration camps so they must be doing something good).
They then get (if they pass the refugee status test) a non-documented migrant pass which entitles them to free healthcare but not housing.
If they fail the refugee status test they are deported to the country they came from (in this case Libya) and none of this human rights thing about no documents so don't know which country sh1te.

This is how the Spanish do it:
Put them In Prison
Poor Conditions

And loads more of deportations, locking them up, separating them etc.
No, Spain is not a soft touch and they do not get residency let along citizenship.

You really are turning into a stupid BOF, aren;t you?
If you know eff all about something, don;t even try to show your ignorance.

Then again, you were a teacher (or so you say) so you're probably used to spinning crap.

FYI.
To get Spanish citizenship, you have to have had residency for a minimum of 10 years.
You then have to show a fluent knowledge of Spanish (which I can) and pass a test on Spanish way of life, history and current affairs. You then have to show an integration into Spanish life like working for a community service, charity or some other such. They don't give citizenship (or residency) to anyone who asks like the UK does.
You then wait a minimum of 3 years and have to swear allegiance to the King and renounce your original nationality. (no dual nationality here).
Now, I love our Queen (who honoured me with an MBE). After 30 years in the Army and still paying around 4 grand a year in taxes to the UK gov, I don't think I'd like to cut off allegiance to Her Maj nor cut my ties to UK where my daughters and grandkids live.

However, with people like you populating the place it's somewhere I don't like going to anymore. A grey little island populated by grey, little people.
Now FOAD.
So, in essence Spain protects its nationality and ensures that anyone joining understands it is a privilege and not a right! wish we would do the same!
One of my Spanish Work Colleagues was winging last week about Brexit and how he didn't want it to happen and how it would effect him etc etc (me.me, me)
- I then informed him that his right to stay in the UK was guaranteed and already in law (3 questions and a small fee) - he said to me I was wrong and that our Govt was not offering EU citizens anything!!! - I then sent him to UK residence for EU citizens to prove it.
To be fair to him he did came back to me and thanked me for the info looking a bit sheepish! I took the opportunity to point out that unlike the UK Govt he was slagging off the EU, incl. Spain was yet to promise, never mind put it in law, UK citizens anything!
This chap is a highly intelligent, English speaking Engineer who has lived in the UK for years and yet was only repeating the mantra of the doom sayers and social media without making any effort to actually find the truth - very disappointing and possibly a target indicator of a large number of other people in this country who are holding back Brexit for the wrong reasons

So, in essence Spain protects its nationality and ensures that anyone joining understands it is a privilege and not a right! wish we would do the same!
One of my Spanish Work Colleagues was winging last week about Brexit and how he didn't want it to happen and how it would effect him etc etc (me.me, me)
- I then informed him that his right to stay in the UK was guaranteed and already in law (3 questions and a small fee) - he said to me I was wrong and that our Govt was not offering EU citizens anything!!! - I then sent him to UK residence for EU citizens to prove it.
To be fair to him he did came back to me and thanked me for the info looking a bit sheepish! I took the opportunity to point out that unlike the UK Govt he was slagging off the EU, incl. Spain was yet to promise, never mind put it in law, UK citizens anything!
This chap is a highly intelligent, English speaking Engineer who has lived in the UK for years and yet was only repeating the mantra of the doom sayers and social media without making any effort to actually find the truth - very disappointing and possibly a target indicator of a large number of other people in this country who are holding back Brexit for the wrong reasons
I hear the same thing on a regular basis from NATO colleagues and German friends. The disinformation/lack of understanding is astounding.

I took the opportunity to point out that unlike the UK Govt he was slagging off the EU, incl. Spain was yet to promise, never mind put it in law, UK citizens anything!
Indeed it was one of the very first things HMG did. And one of the very first things f*cked off by the benevolent EU. Which sort of underlines the point most leavers make about the EU... that they're all d*cks.

Indeed it was one of the very first things HMG did. And one of the very first things f*cked off by the benevolent EU. Which sort of underlines the point most leavers make about the EU... that they're all d*cks.
Watching Barnier at the mo', mealy mouthed shit, the more I listen to him, the more I think we should go hard.

I hear the same thing on a regular basis from NATO colleagues and German friends. The disinformation/lack of understanding is astounding.
You talking about the DailyMail?

Really? Wonder what this document is all about then?
UK and EU citizen rights after Brexit

UK has said it will bring in settled status, the EU states it will continue with permanent residence (same thing, different words).
And FYI, there are many non-EU citizens living in EU countries who have permanent residency already and retain all their rights in the country. Provided they have legal residency they will not be affected.

And, as an aside, the dual taxation agreement between UK and Spain was signed in 1976, 10 years before Spain joined the EU. Other dual taxation agreements between UK and other countries are available.

Also went to a meeting a while back which had the mayor of Alicante, two reps from the Valencia regional government and other luminaries in attendance.
We were assured that our rights would not be affected provided we had formalised our status before the UK leaves the EU. By formalised this meant legal residency and fiscal status.

Last edited:
Really? Wonder what this document is all about then?
UK and EU citizen rights after Brexit

UK has said it will bring in settled status, the EU states it will continue with permanent residence (same thing, different words).
And FYI, there are many non-EU citizens living in EU countries who have permanent residency already and retain all their rights in the country. Provided they have legal residency they will not be affected.

And, as an aside, the dual taxation agreement between UK and Spain was signed in 1976, 10 years before Spain joined the EU. Other dual taxation agreements between UK and other countries are available.

Also went to a meeting a while back which had the mayor of Alicante, two reps from the Valencia regional government and other luminaries in attendance.
We were assured that our rights would not be affected provided we had formalised our status before the UK leaves the EU. By formalised this meant legal residency and fiscal status.
what the EU say and what the 27 member states will actually do in practise are 2 different things! - particularly in respect to accessing health and Benefits and the like - there's a reason we've got 3+Million EU citizens here and thats because we're a pretty good place to live overall with pretty slack requirements on the visitors eg cant speak the lingo? no problem! we'll supply a translator for you and all sorts of assistance - good luck with that in many European countries !

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 254
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 470