The Brexit Consequences Thread

Has it crossed your mind that those who were such ardent champions of Brexit have been unable to offer any coherent plan and have actively undermined the PM?

I'd appreciate it if you could look a bit further than blaming those who said it would be bloody hard. If it was half as easy as Davis, Fox, Hannan et al said, we'd be out and trading like good uns now. We're not and they're running away from accepting responsibility for the shambles they helped create.

Regardless of how well we could do in any emerging world order, had we planned and managed this with a degree of professionalism, we are in this position because you voted for it, without paying attention to the laws of unintended consequences. There are more to come. They're not going to happen because I thought Brexit was a bad idea.
I think you have either misread or misunderstood. I didn't vote for Brexit, although I have come to the view that it is the best thing to do in the long term interests of the UK. You're right that the people given the task of implementing the decision of the referendum are almost useless. So much time has been wasted with introspection and petty point scoring that the strategic view has been lost. My point is that once you make a decision to do something difficult you have to put your full effort into it and not spend your time doubting and dithering. You don't sail around the world by pottering around in the harbour.

Why would anyone go to France on a day trip?
Ask the many thousands a day who do it.
The old booze cruise may be a thing of the past, though, once customs limits are reintroduced although many did it before.

Just where does the Mirror (and others) get this from? UK licenses were accepted in Europe long before we joined. No-one had heard of an international driving license.
Now, how about me. I had a UK driving licence. Moving to Spain and taking out residency means that I had to change my licence for a Spanish one after two years (the one with the paper counterpart, EU photo licence with a limited expiry date didn't need to be changed unless they ran out).
I got my Spanish DL on the basis of having a UK one. The DVLA had to confirm I was entitled to one before the Spanish trafico would issue me a Spanish one and I had to hand in my UK one.
Now, if all this isn't another load of made up rubbish, would this mean I would need an International Driving Permit to visit UK even though my original licence is lodged with DVLA?
They issued me a Spanish one on the basis I had a UK one but now I can't drive in UK with the Spanish one?

Seems like yet another non-story.

The old booze cruise may be a thing of the past, though, once customs limits are reintroduced although many did it before.

Just where does the Mirror (and others) get this from? UK licenses were accepted in Europe long before we joined. No-one had heard of an international driving license.
Now, how about me. I had a UK driving licence. Moving to Spain and taking out residency means that I had to change my licence for a Spanish one after two years (the one with the paper counterpart, EU photo licence with a limited expiry date didn't need to be changed unless they ran out).
I got my Spanish DL on the basis of having a UK one. The DVLA had to confirm I was entitled to one before the Spanish trafico would issue me a Spanish one and I had to hand in my UK one.
Now, if all this isn't another load of made up rubbish, would this mean I would need an International Driving Permit to visit UK even though my original licence is lodged with DVLA?
They issued me a Spanish one on the basis I had a UK one but now I can't drive in UK with the Spanish one?

Many thousands a day?

That's a lot of lost custom for the French.

Has someone really thought that one through?

Many thousands a day?

That's a lot of lost custom for the French.

Has someone really thought that one through?
Any idea how many day trippers visit UK on those ferries and Eurostars?
Apparently the French and Belgians like to come over now the pound is so weak. Lots of lost custom for M&S as well.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
The qn is why are ordinary UK licences not issued as Internationals in the first place? And why are Post Offices involved, surely the setup should be to deal with the DVLA direct.

Damage to the FR tourist industry should be good.
People who happily pay £14 per person to get a seat together on a plane or pay the £3.50 per day per person tourist tax to go on a booze filled sojourn to Mallorca (or Italy) will baulk at £5.50 for a whole year of driving?
And I should think it would impact on the UK tourist industry as well considering the amount of Continental drivers
visiting.
France gets over 85 million tourists a year. Not sure the few who will refuse to pay £5.50 a year will make much difference (if any).
Yet another man shouts at pigeons story.

Oh, and it took 2 months for DVLA to confirm I had a "right to drive" when I changed my licence. The Post Office has offices in every town (or most) whereas the DVLA not so much.

People who happily pay £14 per person to get a seat together on a plane or pay the £3.50 per day per person tourist tax to go on a booze filled sojourn to Mallorca (or Italy) will baulk at £5.50 for a whole year of driving?
The cost to the individual was neither the point of the article, nor my posting of it.

'An official report today reveals details of a plan to massively ramp up the number of International Driving Permits if the UK fails to reach agreement with the EU. But serious backup plans are now under way to issue them to drivers who go to the EU too, the National Audit Office (NAO) said. This would hugely increase the number of IDPs issued per year, from 100,000 to an estimated 7million.

'The number of Post Offices that issue the permits would also have to increase massively, from the current 89 to 4,500 across the country. Today the NAO issued a blunt warning suggesting the plan may not be ready by Brexit Day in March 2019. "As yet, there is no business case and no detailed delivery plans," the NAO declared.

'The watchdog said the Department for Transport only "formally notified" the Post Office of contract changes two months ago, and then only in "outline form". "Since then, the Post Office has been working on its detailed delivery plans for submission to the DVLA and the Department," the NAO said.'

The cost to the individual was neither the point of the article, nor my posting of it.

'An official report today reveals details of a plan to massively ramp up the number of International Driving Permits if the UK fails to reach agreement with the EU. But serious backup plans are now under way to issue them to drivers who go to the EU too, the National Audit Office (NAO) said. This would hugely increase the number of IDPs issued per year, from 100,000 to an estimated 7million.

'The number of Post Offices that issue the permits would also have to increase massively, from the current 89 to 4,500 across the country. Today the NAO issued a blunt warning suggesting the plan may not be ready by Brexit Day in March 2019. "As yet, there is no business case and no detailed delivery plans," the NAO declared.

'The watchdog said the Department for Transport only "formally notified" the Post Office of contract changes two months ago, and then only in "outline form". "Since then, the Post Office has been working on its detailed delivery plans for submission to the DVLA and the Department," the NAO said.'
so what? - I'm absolutely sick of this defeatism and non belief in the capabilities of the British people! Where there is a will there is a way:

National Registration Act 1939 - Wikipedia

World War 2 Identity Cards[edit]
Every man, woman and child had to carry an identity (ID) card at all times and the cards would include the following information:
  • Name
  • Sex
  • Occupation, profession, trade or employment
  • Address; Marital status
  • Membership of Naval, Military or Air Force Reserves or Auxiliary Forces or of Civil Defence Services or Reserves.
65,000 enumerators across the country delivered forms ahead of the chosen day. On 29 September 1939, householders were required to record details on the registration forms. On the following Sunday and Monday the enumerators visited every householder, checked the form and there and then issued a completed identity card for each of the residents. All cards at this time were the same brown/buff colour

The population of Great Britain in 1939 was 46 million

so what? - I'm absolutely sick of this defeatism and non belief in the capabilities of the British people! Where there is a will there is a way:

National Registration Act 1939 - Wikipedia

World War 2 Identity Cards[edit]
Every man, woman and child had to carry an identity (ID) card at all times and the cards would include the following information:
  • Name
  • Sex
  • Occupation, profession, trade or employment
  • Address; Marital status
  • Membership of Naval, Military or Air Force Reserves or Auxiliary Forces or of Civil Defence Services or Reserves.
65,000 enumerators across the country delivered forms ahead of the chosen day. On 29 September 1939, householders were required to record details on the registration forms. On the following Sunday and Monday the enumerators visited every householder, checked the form and there and then issued a completed identity card for each of the residents. All cards at this time were the same brown/buff colour

The population of Great Britain in 1939 was 46 million
Are you suggesting the UK should mobilise resources and act as if at war?

In recent years we've seen the national appetite for Identity cards!

Opinion polls on the British national identity card - Wikipedia

no one said Team remaIN's Project FEAR team was rational.

It would be a consequence of a "no deal" Brexit and it merely shows that some of the things we all take for granted at the moment could suddenly change. It works both ways and people with DL's from other EU countries would need an international one too when driving in the UK.

That's the thing about "no deal". The UK then exits and crashes out of existing deals without replacing them with other deals. The only reason these articles appear in the papers is because some Brexit headbangers like the Redwoods of this world don't understand that "no deal" is exactly that: no deal. Nothing. In their heads however it seems to mean "out of the EU and of course the common sense bit miraculously remains untouched because we never voted to bin that". But that is either magical thinking or it would mean........ a deal (however bad that deal would be).

There is a solution for everything so it is not impossible. However, the question is whether it all can be done before the end of March 2019.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CptDanjou Brexit 257
S11Blade Brexit 474
B Medals 22