The Brexit Consequences Thread

Please elucidate. Or just made up rubbish?
Oh do shut up- there's a huge turkish community in Germany Here, the Netherlands has been for donkeys, I used to bump in to them on a regular basis on their Cyprian hops whilst they used the DWP money aquired from Grandma/ Grandpa- who never spoke English but had their NI /NHS cards or the tax from their foodie shops. Hated answering questions or started their diversionary tactics. Suddenly had a fit of the vapours. I don't suppose you remember Erdogan or his predecessor encouraging money movements saying that no questions would be asked of those transporting large sums of cash from Europe and bypassing controls. That would be 2008/9. Clear enough

Oh do shut up- there's a huge turkish community in Germany Here, the Netherlands has been for donkeys, I used to bump in to them on a regular basis on their Cyprian hops whilst they used the DWP money aquired from Grandma/ Grandpa- who never spoke English but had their NI /NHS cards or the tax from their foodie shops. Hated answering questions or started their diversionary tactics. Suddenly had a fit of the vapours. I don't suppose you remember Erdogan or his predecessor encouraging money movements saying that no questions would be asked of those transporting large sums of cash from Europe and bypassing controls. That would be 2008/9. Clear enough
So just made up rubbish, then.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Please elucidate. Or just made up rubbish?
No he’s right. My barbers one. In fact, Turkish barbers have sprung up all over the city. Even before Mr Farage was warning us that they were coming.

These people were coming here, starting a business, some of them doing a good job and working hard. I noticed my own was employing a chap a little like himself.

I was going to ask him why he didn’t take on a local unemployed youth to train in this profitable and interesting job.
Then having seen the state of some of our ‘bonfire engineers’ I’d sooner not pay good money to lose an ear and get set fire to.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
So they aren’t coming here. Because they’re already in Holland and Germany.

Now it makes sense. Alles Klar.

No he’s right. My barbers one. In fact, Turkish barbers have sprung up all over the city. Even before Mr Farage was warning us that they were coming.

These people were coming here, starting a business, some of them doing a good job and working hard. I noticed my own was employing a chap a little like himself.

I was going to ask him why he didn’t take on a local unemployed youth to train in this profitable and interesting job.
Then having seen the state of some of our ‘bonfire engineers’ I’d sooner not pay good money to lose an ear and get set fire to.
And I've never had a problem with that, for me that's never been an issue because you can't squash ambition. The issue is pretending that it's not happening because it's not convenient. This is where sucessive Governments have played foul with the electorate.

My concerns were with border controls and their enforcement, but it seems Labour had other plans and now it's coming home to roost in various ways. That a traveller's motives may not be as pure as they make out is another matter and could be of concern. If you want to use a Turkish Engineer in preference to a home grown one that's up to you. One does have to differentiate between political systems and people

So just made up rubbish, then.
whatever you want to believe-you never dealt with it I'll wager.

And I've never had a problem with that, for me that's never been an issue because you can't squash ambition. The issue is pretending that it's not happening because it's not convenient. This is where sucessive Governments have played foul with the electorate.

My concerns were with border controls and their enforcement, but it seems Labour had other plans and now it's coming home to roost in various ways. That a traveller's motives may not be as pure as they make out is another matter and could be of concern. If you want to use a Turkish Engineer in preference to a home grown one that's up to you. One does have to differentiate between political systems and people

whatever you want to believe-you never dealt with it I'll wager.
In my relatively extensive experience Turkish trained engineers and technicians are excellent.

I was out for dinner last night, a small French restaurant in Walthamstow. Decent French food, friendly and amenable French staff. In the corner was a old'ish bloke with a loud voice obviously trying to impress his son with his knowledge of the world. I'm eating alone in the corner just enjoying the food, wine and trying not to flirt with the waitress.

As the old'ish bloke gets up to leave, he's chatting with the waiter who in the course of the conversation let's on that he'll be heading back to France in the summer to take up a job in Paris. Cue old'ish bloke to address the whole restaurant on how brexit is causing all the French restaurants to close down due to lack of staff etc. A few gems I managed not to ignore;

"I'm a university professor, and brexit is the worst thing that's happened to this county. Ever"
"I don't know where I'm going to be able to eat in the future"
"This is what happens when you let the ignorant vote!"

After he leaves in a huff, the waiter looks at me and softly utters "il est un con, n'est-ce pas"**, and passes me a complimentary glass of wine.

** rough translation "He's a c**t, isn't he"

I was out for dinner last night, a small French restaurant in Walthamstow. Decent French food, friendly and amenable French staff. In the corner was a old'ish bloke with a loud voice obviously trying to impress his son with his knowledge of the world. I'm eating alone in the corner just enjoying the food, wine and trying not to flirt with the waitress.

As the old'ish bloke gets up to leave, he's chatting with the waiter who in the course of the conversation let's on that he'll be heading back to France in the summer to take up a job in Paris. Cue old'ish bloke to address the whole restaurant on how brexit is causing all the French restaurants to close down due to lack of staff etc. A few gems I managed not to ignore;

"I'm a university professor, and brexit is the worst thing that's happened to this county. Ever"

After he leaves in a huff, the waiter looks at me and softly utters "il est un con, n'est-ce pas"**, and passes me a complimentary glass of wine.

Did you let on to @brothertonlad

I think that really sums up the problem we've always had in this country. The elites who've always been able to travel consider their own country men ignorant and that it's their right to travel. Well it's not-it's a privilege determined by another country allowing you to. Now there are those of us who remember when chicken Kiev came out as a luxury food. C'ept it wasn't as my Mum proved now and a again.

Will I need to take precautions when I go native in Europe in June for my annual road trip?

Will gangs of hostile Europeans hunt me down and bar me from Europe?
Will grumpy service station staff notice my adequate French, poor german and passible Italian and shun me?

Will I need to take precautions when I go native in Europe in June for my annual road trip?

Will gangs of hostile Europeans hunt me down and bar me from Europe?
Will grumpy service station staff notice my adequate French, poor german and passible Italian and shun me?
And mangled English?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 229
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 453