The Brexit Consequences Thread

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Here's some consequences - 39 Sector "Impact" Reports, all published.

Worthy indeed of a GCSE student's homework.

Happy reading! :grin:

Publications - Exiting the EU Committee
So they are re-hash of the DIT sector reports with little if any analytics on future trading positions or impact to the sectors.

If that is what the government is basing its work on god help you all.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
So they are re-hash of the DIT sector reports with little if any analytics on future trading positions or impact to the sectors.

Didn’t Davis say that no such papers existed?

Or if he’s willing to take a publicly humiliating kicking to avoid showing what they know in an open forum. They must be bad news indeed.

There is a certain amount of disgruntlement from Westminster as up until last week MPs had to go through an elaborate system of security measures to view them only to find they were:

a) Worthless, and

b) Subsequently published.

DExEU has burnt much goodwill over this. :grin:

We were having a conversation in the office this morning ( 5 of us including a Bulgarian and a brum married to a pole) about the job prospects for those
brits in a gravy train job that the eu does so well ,or one of the academic “ non jobs” that are supported by the eu because they are so far away from the taxpayer who pays for it ,and the bloke who signs the cheques is accountable to no one who actually supplied the money
You know the sort of stuff the crustacion spoofs he does or shitting in a bag would love to do.
General concensus from those who have dealt with officialdom sur le continent.was that as soon as we are officially out of the frame the entente cordial towards Brit academics or minor functionarys will very rapidly be a thing of the past as jucy safe posts that pay well without much accountability are the prized fruit of the EU tree and ability probably has very little to do with who gets to keep a post.
Also the dull herd of MP’s must have looked longingly at Neil kinnocks career post mp and aspired to his fortuitous use of very little talent.
It must be hard to watch that particular train pull out of the station
( I’m looking at you Mr Starmer!) so no wonder so many of the great and good as well as the dull and mediocre ex university drones get so upset at us leaving.
As an aside invited to a shoot tomorrow and in solidarity with our Italian friends I think I’ll take the Beretta.
Interesting perspective, but I fear disappointment beckons.

Brexit will probably little affect those you mention, rather it will hit hardest those at the lower end of the social tree.

So much so, that I'd imagine that in five years time, finding anybody who admits to being a Brexiter, will be akin to finding a NSDAP member back in June of 45 :)

"Mainstream" politics is what has caused the disenfranchisement that led to the Brexit vote.

The centre ground, no matter how consensual for the 33% who occupy it, means that 66% are being ignored. Whether you like it or not after two decades of mealy mouthed worthiness the "extreme" right and left (can you hear my eyes rolling?) Arent voting for the centre ground any more. The only reason UKIP's vote dropped was because those who did vote for them, bar 3%, returned to their old vote. In other words a more right wing Tory party and a more left wing Labour one.

Any modestly aware voter can spot triangulation these days and runs a mile from it.
So you discount the 'Blowup' of 07-08, from which recovery for those who lack collateral, has been an illusion ?

ZIRP world has effectively seen the suspension of most aspects of Capitalism, leaving probably 50% of the voters feeling less optimistic than might otherwise have been the case ? And has opened the door to demagoguery in most of the First World. Think Farage, Wilders, Le Pen, and the AFD in the fatherland. I'd even think economic stagnation is what's behind the ongoing Punch and Judy show in Catalonia.

One of the problems with our electoral system, which was why I was quite interested inthe AV system.

two parties, no problem. 51% = win with majority, so most people are content.

three parties, problem. 34% = win. 66% of people don't actually want that winner.

four parties? 26% secures a win, but 74% of people wanted other parties.

Eventually complacency settles within the 'winning' parties and foosh... explosion time.

Interesting perspective, but I fear disappointment beckons.

Brexit will probably little affect those you mention, rather it will hit hardest those at the lower end of the social tree.

So much so, that I'd imagine that in five years time, finding anybody who admits to being a Brexiter, will be akin to finding a NSDAP member back in June of 45 :)
Interesting opinion.
I’m intregued as to why, given how the mediocre have latched on to the tit of European Union largesse, Combined with the corrupt pork barrel operation of much of academia ( Italy stands out), as to why you think ,post Brexit when the rest are enviously eyeing the posts , they are not going to be on thin ice.
Your second point ignores that many at the bottom of the tree thought it was shit sandwiches for ever under the old plan anyway, And a short term hit was nothing new if at the end of it you get to fire the incompetents in charge in future.
It’s been said many times, but short term financial gain or loss was not the only factor in the balance when many chose to tell them to swivel.

Interesting opinion.
I’m intregued as to why, given how the mediocre have latched on to the tit of European Union largesse, Combined with the corrupt pork barrel operation of much of academia ( Italy stands out), as to why you think ,post Brexit when the rest are enviously eyeing the posts , they are not going to be on thin ice.
Your second point ignores that many at the bottom of the tree thought it was shit sandwiches for ever under the old plan anyway, And a short term hit was nothing new if at the end of it you get to fire the incompetents in charge in future.
It’s been said many times, but short term financial gain or loss was not the only factor in the balance when many chose to tell them to swivel.
Cushy nosebags further up the line have likely been viewed with scorn by those who dont have them, probably for the entire time mankind has been on the planet.

To date its been apparent their number does not decrease, but on the contrary tends to increase over time.

The best plan is to aim to join the party. Admittedly to those of us of a certain age, who will have been brought up with the idea of producing to sell, will have trouble seeing the current state of things as being sustainable. But the whole 'Service Economy' thing does seem to have kept going for quite a while now, and I'd even suggest that its next iteration will be even more unbelievable to those of us for whom phartdom is gaining.

The whole Brexit idea was sold on the basis that something like HM Submarine's would return to Gosport, bringing the days of yore and modest prosperity with them. So almost the definition of a Cargo Cult, and standing about as much chance of success.

In the long term Brexit, assuming we dont end up with an out but not really result, might prove beneficial simply because it will force UK Governments to address fundamental issues regarding the countries future, and ditch the habit of soft soaping economic policies in the hope that by the time the crunch comes, the other mob will be in the hotseat. But whatever the outcome, Britain's dismal cities outside the Golden zone of London and the SE are not going to be going back to how things used to be.

Its also worth considering that if Brexit results in the political kaleidoscope being vigorously shaken, than the time of flux that ensues will see the emergence of demagogues and mountebanks aplenty :(

One of the problems with our electoral system, which was why I was quite interested inthe AV system.

two parties, no problem. 51% = win with majority, so most people are content.

three parties, problem. 34% = win. 66% of people don't actually want that winner.

four parties? 26% secures a win, but 74% of people wanted other parties.

Eventually complacency settles within the 'winning' parties and foosh... explosion time.
I tend to agree. However the first past the post system tends to concentrate opinion between two main parties, and the election result is most likely to deliver the manifesto promises of the winning party.

AV systems tend to encourage the growth of numerous small parties, because they can gain influence above their station. If UK had AV, both the Labour and Tory parties would probably have splintered, and small offshoots would have emerged.

The problem with AV, is that the majority may be discontent, but after an election, they end up with the same coalition policies.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 229
Good CO Brexit 349
ACAB The NAAFI Bar 453