the break up of the United Kingdom

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by semper, Jun 16, 2006.

?
  1. yes , scrap it and reincorporate the Scots back into the UK parliament

61.9%
  2. Independence for the Scots now !

22.5%
  3. leave the Scottish parliament as it is

15.6%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. i know i take the p1ss out fo the Scots as much as they do with us English, however i have read the Daily mail and have found a worrying trend that anti-English feeling has edged toward violence and racism against English residents. it's gone beyond banter.

im not trying to sound alarmist but it seems to be going that way, i have always believed devolution was a bad idea, however if the Scots do want to become independent and go their own way, I wish them well, i personally believe we are greater than the sum of our parts as a United Kingdom.

if they become Independent , border fences and custom posts may be created with different passports currency etc

i have found the article online for you to look at off the Daily mail website, i had to register to get it, its a bit long but worth it.

i have included a poll to see what you think.

2. I'm welsh, and I'm supporting England! I think it's ludicrous to cheer for the other side especially when in so many other things like the olympics etc we are more than happy to display pride in olympic winners that more often than not are english!
    i also class myself as BRITISH on forms and as far as wales's little assembly goes i find it pointless and under-achieving, granted we do not have the level of control as what the scottish parliament does, but i think it's a pointless token venture, and we should be governed by westminster ful stop! it's a waste of money.

3. I have great sympathy with the view in the article. I believe the break up of the union would leave us all worse off. However I do beleive that devolution can not be undone. I also think the West Lothian question must be resolved. The difficulty is that by not allowing Scottish MPs to vote on Emglish issues is that there will be occasions (in the future) when the Gov't will not have a majority in Westminster...who then writes legislation for Engalnd? Perhaps we need a Federal Gov't based in Westminster and English elswhere ...the trouble is I do not want to pay any more tax to fund a building to meet the need...since the Scottish one, while splendid, was f*cking expensive.

The recent upsurge in anti Englishness is beginning to irritate me which is a real shame because I have always found Scots very hospitable and have enjoyed my many trips to Scotland. I think once the football is over...which seems to make many right minded males bizarrely tribal than the situation will become calmer.

Edited for p*ssed fingers.

4. I watched the 6 nations finals in a bar in Dublin this year. All the Welsh & Scots were cheering Ireland against England. When I spoke to a few of them (ladies & gents) they all agreed that they despised England and the English. When asked why the answer was the English are right up their own arrses and full of themselves.

5. ...and I always thought it was the English who hated a winner

6. yes I'm afraid that is the general concensus - however, not all of us are like that! i'm very proud of my country's history, and by that i mean britain (england et al) and don't have any ill feeling towards the english! my fella is froop yorkshire and my unborn baby thus half english. the majority of ill feeling in wales comes from the little enclosed billages and towns, as opposed to the cities and towns in the industrialised south! i have more contempt for the backward hicks that think that english are scum than i do for any english man (except maybe tony blair hehe)

7. Errr We beat England! :D

8. I can see some advantages in devolution due to Scotlands different legal and education system, but not enough to make the parliament worth it, it is just another layer of red tape and the my biggest fear is that the SNP will be the biggest party next time round and if so will they go through with their referendum on independence. The break up of the Union would be bad for all of us.

I am supporting England in the world cup why not. It just annoys me that so many other Jocks don't.

9. It's wrong that anyone should be subjected to such treatment, despite the exchanges on this site, most of which are in 'squaddie humour' and can be percieved by some as deeply insulting.
    What I will say though is that the Daily Mail is exceptional in it's anti Scots sentiment, right down to printing letters which tell the reader that they are 'sick of hearing the Scottish accent'. Every chance they get, they have a dig at the Scottish. The contents of that paper border on incitement to hatred and it comes down to one or two anti Scottish journailsts. They despise the fact that Blair has surrounded himself with Scots and they attempt to sway English opinion by drumming up hatred for its neighbour. It's the same in Scotland with the Scottish Daily Record. For some of the people who write for and to that paper, you'd think that Culloden Moor happened last week (little bit like the saga of the Boyne which gets an airing every summer over the water). I've had English colleagues tell me horror stories of thier kids getting a hard time at Scottish schools and I've also had stories of the opposite, where English kids thoroughly enjoyed being at Scots schools. My wife is English and both of my daughters were born here. Two weeks ago I went to JJB sports and bought, two English football tops, two St George duffle bags and a host of other English stuff. The lad behind the counter had a great laugh at the fact a Scot was willingly and without a gun at his head, buying English football kit. Whilst there is a Saltire on the rear window of my car, both rear passenger windows display 'Forever England' stickers. I have no idea what other motorists make of it, but my neighbours find it amusing. I have bloke who lives over the back who is currently flying a very large St Georges flag up against my fence. There's no need for it to be flown where it is and it is there only to 'wind me' up. Sadly it has had no effect. I live in England and you can fly your national flag where and when you wish as far as I am concerned. I actually sat in my back garden last week and discussed the story of St George and the Dragon, good and evil, with both of my kids. My neighbour could hear me of that I am aware. Must have surprised him.

I've heard all the insults about my nationality from the English and I've hurled some back. Name calling, that's what most of it is. But it shouldn't get down to this level. I remember when I first joined up, being embarrassed in shops by English counter staff telling me that they wouldn't accept my Scottish £10 note as it was 'foreign money'. I've met small mindedness in many people, both Scots and English. The old style banter is still there, but is being taken advantage of by people such as journailsts who should know better. As for 'squaddie humour', well we do take it a bit far sometimes. But as long as we can remember that, we can continue as we are.

This may be a matter of life and death for some, but FFS it's a game of football lads. That's all.

I watched TV yesterday in abject embarrassment at half a dozen bearded Scots lunatics belting on drums and shouting about T & T. Most of them looked like they could have done with a good wash. Scotland doesn't need that crap, but it was exploited the English media and served only to stoke the fires.

Now some of you English folk need to get a good deep fried pizza down you and relax. The UK will not break up just because the insults are getting tougher to handle.

10. It all comes back to the West Lothian question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Lothian_Question

If devolution is to continue, then things have to be on a level playing field. We continually have MP's at Westmister with Scottish constituancies, voting on purely English matters. Yet the MP's with their constituancies in England have no say on purely Scottish matters.

To be honest, I don't really care if the Jocks want full independance. Let them have it. Only thing is, don't come bleating to me about wanting any of my money through my taxes to keep your country from going bust! Perhaps you'll be able to get some money from the Frogs! You are always going on about the "Auld Alliance". If you love 'em so much, piss off through the tunnel, just don't stop in my country on the way!

The union has worked well for many years, why destroy it? Jocks, you just want your cake and eat it! It all swings and roundabouts. Stop your whining, and stop biting the hand that feeds you.

Good grief more clihes than soft mick. I must improve my prose!

11. And this sort of post doesn't help you either.

12. Funny isn't it. All we ever hear is hostilty from the Scotts directed toward the English. As soon as the English retaliate, we are in the wrong.

I started a thread in the Naafi about chav towns. I have spent many a miserable hour in Blackpool where my family have a small business. For most of the season Blackpool is full of Scots just moaning about how much better the food/the weather/the accommodation/the beer/the women/the pubs etc etc are up in Scotland. Don't belive me? Just go up there and listen. Don't say anything, just listen. It's revealing.

I fully understand that many Scots feel that they have the rough end of the stick in life. I'm sorry about that. Genuinely. However, don't expect to bad mouth me and my country and get away with it. I won't take that sort of thing lying down.

The truth is you have a super country, and super people, but your inbuilt bitterness to the English just colours your judgement.

I truly belive in the union, and I have, despite my earlier post, no animosity towards Scotland or it's people. I'm just fed up of your continuous moaning.

13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Biscuits - you are beginning to worry me. Here you are writing absolute sense (for once :wink: )

You are quite correct in that, and certainly in my mind, that this is banter between 2 neighbouring nations. It does not matter where you are in the world you will always get the nutters, hence the broken windows. Mind you, I have often found that when this happens to one person it is usually because of their personality rather than nationality. I bet that there are English people living not very far from the guy who had his windows put in, who have had no trouble at all.

As you so rightly put it, this is really banter between English and Scots and when it comes to the real world and the need to stick together becomes apparant then Scots and English work very well together, as do the Welsh and Irish. Just look at the British Army in Iraq, all 4 (5 if you include RoI) sets of countrymen and women working together towards the common goal.

Let's just get on with the world cup (and our banter).

As to the break up of the UK - we are kind of attached to each other, with the slight exception of NI so I can't see this happening.

AY

p.s. Does anyone know who Sven will be supporting on 20 June in Koln at 2000 hours :twisted:

14. I don't think the Jocks do want independence. I certainly consider myself to be British. True there are a few hard liners who want it - Sean Connery for example but has he is a cock and a tax exile living overseas his opinion is of no consequence. Whenever I fill in a form which asks for my nationality or ethnicity I always enter 'British (Scot).'

Besides. what would you soft English ponces do without us?

Biscuits_AB. As a young soldier I had simelar experience with my 'foreign money' in a fish and chip shop. I simply said fair enough and left without paying taking the food with me.

15. Nice one Lairdx! I used to get similar problems with Ulster Bank & Northern Bank notes. I just used to say "Whose head is on it you dumb tw*t!" It generally had the desired effect :D