The book that should be made into a film

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by The_Flying_Hamster, Apr 30, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 'Devil's Guard'

Ex Nazi's joining the Foreign Legion after WWII. Supposedly a true account. We used it as a reference for anti-guerilla warfare when I were a lad.

Anyone else read it?

2. 'Green Eyed Boys' by Jennings and Wheale - fecking stomping book, would make a great film!

3. The number one critera for books>films is, of course, how easily it can be Americanised.

4. **Slope braces himself for the inevitable onslaught** :D

5. Apparently this is another work of fiction.Shame! :cry:

6. Rainbow six by Tom Clancy thoroughly enjoyable would make a good film.
    Maybe some films from authors Andy Mcnabb and Chris Ryan?

7. Not a lot goes by you,does it? :lol:

8. Birdsong - Sebastian Fawkes, a good read, could make a decent film.

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Oh Lordy please no.... Those books that were by Clancy and were good have been torn apart by Hollzwood (exception HFROctober). Many of his recent offerings (kicking off probably with his war against japan and/or Clarke character in the 70's) and then on have been sheer sheer crap.

10. The_Flying_Hamster wrote:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5274&start=15&sid=9cf8b1ea552890b8a1c9ed379abaad4c

A good fiction and it would make a good film but the Waffen SS has limited cred. Some objective, some unsavoury or sad fantasy.

Pity. A quality film of Kurt Meyer's memoirs, Grenadiers would be a dry land Das Boot.

11. Agree there big lad, an awesome book although certain chapters would be a bit topical at the moment. E.g. the discovery a certain items in one of the main section commanders webbing to name one.

Also another excellent book is "Total War: 2006" Written by an ex crab with unusually precise insight. Well worth a read to see where there current Middle East question could end up.

12. You know what they say: 'Ear today, gone tomorrow'.

13. Starship Troopers would still make a great film.

Required reading for Uncle Sams' Misguided Children, I understand

BB

14. Absolutely - the recent attempt was fatally flawed but still enjoyable in parts.

You have to include the power armour and shoulder launched nukes or you miss the whole point of the combat scenes. Troop density of one soldier (plus suit plus nukes and Lord knows what else) per five k's or something at one point - now that's equipping the infantryman !

15. Showing my age now, but a book in the early 80s called 'Cruise'.

1st US Cruise missile goes rogue, ends up in Amazon.

Russians sail a sub up river to try and retrieve it - didn't counter on an old ex-SAS guy (called Ignatius Tapp!) now working as missionary in jungle.

Cue jungle fights a'la Predator-stylee (lots of dead Russkis). Russians find missile, nick off down river with it, only to discover he's rigged it with poison (from some freaky tree-frogs probably! my memory fails me!).

Cue screaming russians in out of control sub crashing to seabed. Uncle Sam retrieves real bits of missile - they thank him - he says f**k off!